Twin-Stick Sabre: the TF-86F

I started this a while ago as a WIP but lack of motivation put it on hold for a bit. This is the #2 TF-86F as it appeared at the time of its first flight (it later gained an F-40 wing). Basic kit is Airfix's 1/48 Sabre 4, with extended forward fuselage (using a second kit), wings backdated to narrow-chord, slatted; wing moved forward (a TF-86F mod to re-establish CG); gun ports filled; seats by Pavla (front one modified to feature the folding headrest in its folded position); canopy from an old Maintrack F-100F conversion set (canopy is identical!); scratch-built speed brake bays; modified fin extension; 'F-86F'-type raised fuselage top vent/intake panel and the additional aft ventral strake. Decals are from Dek L's awesome reverse-printed sheet. Photography by Laurel & Hardy but there it is.

001 (5)

002 (2)

003 (5)

004 (3)

005 (4)

007 (2)

008 (6)

• Like 58
  • Thanks 3

Wow! That's a beauty!  I'm pretty much an out of the box builder, however, I can really appreciate the neatness of the conversion. Adding fuselage, modifying and moving the wing and more... not a seam to be seen.  Well done!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, exdraken said:

very nice!

but what a rare sight!

I was aware of Japan having some Sabre trainers.... but not about anybody else....

Nope: only two, two-seat Sabres ever built. This is #2. I suspect you're thinking of the Fuji T-1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

I was aware of Japan having some Sabre trainers.... but not about anybody else....

I believe Japan used F-86Fs in the advanced training role but I don't believe they ever had two-seat Sabres. I'm open to correction if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

Dayam, Duncan! Words fail me at this point; that is an incredible conversion, and looks more like a Tamiya/Kittyhawk kit than a conversion! Beautiful metal tones that look just like the period photos I have. Saving this build in case I ever get the nerve to do something with my Falcon conversion and one of my many Fujimi kits- at least I can rob the F-40 wing from one of them to do her after she got that wing. She's a beaut! :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Many thanks all for your lovely comments. Airfix's 1/48 Sabre has come inf for some stick of late but it can be made into a nice rendition of the superlative F-86. I have another one in the stash which I'll ponder on. I'll let you know if anything comes of it. And I really can't recommend those Dek L's (DEKL'S?) reverse-printed decals highly enough: they aren't as flimsy as I'd thought they'd be, and despite being a continuous carrier-film type, they snuggle down well and the trimmed carrier film is nigh-on impossible to see under a coat of clear.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, djos said:

Dream of every modeller who collects F-86 models,

I thought that was an F-86A in 1/48!  Or was it an H in 1/48?  I guess "they" (we?) have a lot of dreams.

Out of curiosity, how much was the wing moved?  The fact that the canopy is the same as F-100 suddenly makes this conversion seem a whole lot easier.  Still, I"m filled with admiration for this sort of thing done on a silvery airframe- looks very nice!