Airfix Mk.IXc in 1/24.

5 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

That's the way that I thought it would work, but apparently not.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/help/question.php?question_id=91

You can Backorder (we used to call them advance orders for Future Releases and Back orders for released items) any item we do not have in stock and we will send it to you as soon as possible. 

I.e.: same way you do pre-orders. Pay first, then get stuff sent as soon as it comes into stock.

Production process: (sorry if it's been posted before).

If you haven't seen it...  From the same YouTubers: A day at Airfix. (Watch from 05.05 if you don't want to see hotel/trip details):

Edited by New Tool
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Johnson said:

Fascinating (and a bit scary). I'll be checking mine carefully... if it ever arrives!

There was certainly an emphasis on how they are tackling the short shot issue with some clever ideas. There are a couple of tv programs in North America “How it is Made” (Canadian) and “How do they do It” (USA), it would be cool to see this on one of those, and it would boost sales as well. Nice to see a more human approach to the production process. I really enjoyed watching it. I want mine moulded in the lime green plastic, haha.
BTW Hannant’s expects enough kits on Monday to fill all back orders plus 50 extra. 

Cheers

Jeff

I'm hopeful of some good after market. I know there is great detail there but my painting skills are diminishing especially with regards fine cockpit detail.

And some decent belts - sadly the HGW Sutton harness sets, to my eyes, are incorrect. The belt with the eyelets should come over the back of the seat, and the belt with the tabs to tighten should come over the top, from above and behind the seat. It's fixable but adds to the fiddle.

• Like 1

Arrived today. Looks wonderful!

But... minor issues with clear parts. Canopy (part 15) slight scuffing and Canopy (part 22), which arrived detached from the sprue, has a faint mould line running along the top:

y4mRkiHn1T_Q_UM5xLmAvXj7us67T21StmGwiVCN

Anyone else seen this?

4 minutes ago, Johnson said:

But... minor issues with clear parts. Canopy (part 15) slight scuffing and Canopy (part 22), which arrived detached from the sprue, has a faint mould line running along the top:

Anyone else seen this?

There are two canopies, one accurate one with a mold line and a not so accurate one without the mold line. Airfix explain this in the instructions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Airfix explain this in the instructions.

So they do! Thanks Tbolt.

Reading instructions is something I ought to practice more.

Out with the Micromesh then.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Phew …… after reading Johnson’s post I feared that we might have a repeat of the Border Lancaster problems.

I’ve just received my email from Hannants, added some Aviattic stuff I’ve been waiting to get  into my cart, paid, and now I’m a little excited …………

57 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Anyone else seen this?

As mentioned above, there are two parts included in the kit, one with the correct curve (as shown) and one which isn’t quite right. The line is part of the moulding process incumbent with injection moulding. It’s in the instructions.

Edited by avro683
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Ordered one from Hannant’s about 6 hours ago, I just checked now and they are sold out again. That’s a good sign for Airfix.

Cheers

Jeff

'Daddy presents'

The day of the Guardian article two people I know - who have no interest in kits at all - emailed me linking to the article.

Spitfire + Airfix = double icon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New Tool said:

'Daddy presents'

The day of the Guardian article two people I know - who have no interest in kits at all - emailed me linking to the article.

Spitfire + Airfix = double icon.

It’s a present for me (Daddy), at least that’s what I put on the order information. I am hoping to have a Christmas similar to what I experienced in the 60’s 70’s. Nothing last year, but my daughter gave me the Airfix Fortress III the year before, she knows me well. Really enjoyed the YouTube tour of the Airfix Spitfire production in the factory. Also enjoyed the Guardian article. And on an even freakier note, I just watched the video about “The Guardian” UFO encounter. Do do do do Do do do do…

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

I am hoping to have a Christmas similar to what I experienced in the 60’s 70’s

Me too Jeff. But I doubt that I will build this Airfix 1/24th Spitfire in the few days I took in 1970!

• Like 1

Just now, Johnson said:

Me too Jeff. But I doubt that I will build this Airfix 1/24th Spitfire in the few days I took in 1970!

You got that right! I got the Airfix P-51D for Christmas ‘73 and I put the last decal on a few seconds before ‘74! This time I just hope to finish it in ‘23. Ten years ago, my brother bought me another Airfix 1/24 P-51D, just to see if I could do it again, I did and here is the result, although this time I dropped the flaps, shortened the oleos and gave it dihedral. He also built one and fixed the dihedral, but put it on a stand, wheels up. I don’t have a pic of his, but it was ‘This is It’! with the blue nose. My original went up in flames when the LHS I had it displayed in, burned down. A very sad day.

9916D88B-532D-459A-861A-9613D36DCB01

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 11/28/2022 at 9:21 AM, MrB17 said:

I plan on doing this when I get mine, mainly because it’s necessary to do a bit of surgery to the engine, to get the top cowl to fit snug. I am pretty sure (I hope) we will see some aftermarket exhausts, the kit exhausts seem to have a large cavity underneath, presumably to counter sink marks. Scratch a backing plate for the exhausts and scratch a bearer block for the prop shaft. The engine mounts could be mounted to a scratch trolley or even something simpler, to display the engine. The engine deserves to be seen, but I don’t want to break up the beautiful lines of the Spitfire either.

Cheers

Jeff

Calling Rexx?

• Like 1

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I'm a little surprised that Airfix are specifying Hu30 for BS241 Dark Green.

Not quite in the 'fatally flawed' category, I know, and it certainly won't stop me from buying one 😀

37 minutes ago, B_Bogus said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I'm a little surprised that Airfix are specifying Hu30 for BS241 Dark Green.

Not quite in the 'fatally flawed' category, I know, and it certainly won't stop me from buying one 😀

They've done this for decades, ever since they went over from their own to Humbrol paints, so I wouldn't be all that suprised. I do wish they'd stop it though.

Paul.

38 minutes ago, B_Bogus said:

I'm not surprised at all as Airfix have probably quoted 30 for RAF dark green for every kit in at least the last 40 years.