Airfix Mk.IXc in 1/24.

3 hours ago, MrB17 said:

I have one on preorder with Great Hobbies in Edmonton, sans poster? Just to confirm the shipping costs from UK to Canada, I put one in my Airfix basket and the shipping was £30, but with no vat the kit is £79. Still an excellent price to be sure, however it will still be about $10cdn cheaper through GH, so I will wait for that one, which by the sound of it will be here (home) before the Kotare Mk.I. The poster would go in the recycle anyway, I don’t have space and I am not a fan of invasion stripes, especially on a Spitfire. 
Also I came across a review on Key Model World that shows close ups of some of the parts, looks like a fun and exiting build, but there will be ejector pin marks to be filled. I’m not sure about the large cavities under the exhaust stubs? Also if your doing the early IX, you will have to wait for aftermarket corrected large cannon blisters, they botched those, as discussed previously. Here is a link if you want to have a look:

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/airfix-124-scale-spitfire-mkix-superkit-a17001

Cheers

Jeff

Article is locked behind a paywall - unless you are a subscriber to the site, you are unable to read the whole article via the link!

1 minute ago, treker_ed said:

Article is locked behind a paywall - unless you are a subscriber to the site, you are unable to read the whole article via the link!

That’s weird, I am not a subscriber but I was able to see the photos and read the text. From an iPad if that makes a difference. I would cut and paste here, but that would land me in a heap of trouble. Basically just some observations, mostly in the positive, with some of the ejector pin marks noted ie. flap wells, however most modellers, including myself, won’t drop the flaps as they were seldom seen dropped, although there are exceptions. A lot of the lightening holes are open, including the separate scissors for the main oleos. It’s also hard to determine exactly what the surface detail looks like because the plastic is a very light grey. A thin coat of flat aluminum would do wonders to show off the details, but it looks like the rivets are recessed for the most part. The molded Sutton harness looks very nice, the best I’ve seen so far, and it’s separate, whereas the Kotare kit gives you partially molded on the seat, and a seat without them. The underside of the exhaust stubs have a large hollow cavity underneath and I am not sure if there’s a part to fill them, however they are in 2 parts for each but that is for part of the exhaust opening, cleverly on the weld seam so you won’t have to drill out the stacks. They mentioned just the 5 and 4 spoke wheels, but there are also the covered wheels.

Sorry that didn’t work but I am sure we are going to see it up close fairly soon here on BM

Jeff

Having another look at the web page, it does state that the article was originally published in Airfix Model World. If so, I will have a copy of it anyway I'm print as I am a subscriber to the magazine, and have been for about 10 years! 

The date on the web article is 1sr sept 2022, so I'll look on the October 2022 issue which will have been published at the beginning of September! Just waiting for my Nov 22 issue to arrive which apparently has a test shot build article in about the 1/24 Spitfire!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, treker_ed said:

Having another look at the web page, it does state that the article was originally published in Airfix Model World. If so, I will have a copy of it anyway I'm print as I am a subscriber to the magazine, and have been for about 10 years! 

The date on the web article is 1sr sept 2022, so I'll look on the October 2022 issue which will have been published at the beginning of September! Just waiting for my Nov 22 issue to arrive which apparently has a test shot build article in about the 1/24 Spitfire!

I think it should be arriving today. Fingers crossed 🙂

3 hours ago, Ngantek said:

The digital version shows the ix build, profiles and history as a separate 30 odd page supplement, so they've gone all in. 

Sadly, my printed copy seems to be getting later and later! In the past it has turned up several days before the on-street sale date. Lately it has been turning up several days later. Last months never turned up, i had to ring Key Publishing to get another copy! The original finally turned up 2.5 weeks after the on-sale date! I appreciate some of that delay was down to the postal strikes, but I was still getting post that had been sent two or 3 days beforehand which was coming from all corners of the country and had not got caught up. What I cannot understand is why previous months are so late when there has not been any industrial action from the postal workers..... 

Popped into Smiths and got my copy this morning. Definitely get it to go with the kit. Great article by Steve Budd which will be most useful for the build. There are obviously a few areas that need some 'adjustment', but this is not really a surprise with a kit this large and complex.

Steve used the Airscale i/p dials which seems a good idea at this scale. Airscale are bringing out a Spitfire Mk.lXc Cockpit upgrade set designed to be used with Airfix kit, I'm hoping it will be as good as their Mk.1 i/p which I used in my 1/24 Mk.1a and is superb.

Edit...

Looking at the photos in the article it seems that Airfix have corrected the cannon bulges.

Edited by Johnson
More info
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Johnson said:

Popped into Smiths and got my copy this morning. Definitely get it to go with the kit. Great article by Steve Budd which will be most useful for the build. There are obviously a few areas that need some 'adjustment', but this is not really a surprise with a kit this large and complex.

Steve used the Airscale i/p dials which seems a good idea at this scale. Airscale are bringing out a Spitfire Mk.lXc Cockpit upgrade set designed to be used with Airfix kit, I'm hoping it will be as good as their Mk.1 i/p which I used in my 1/24 Mk.1a and is superb.

Edit...

Looking at the photos in the article it seems that Airfix have corrected the cannon bulges.

Hi Charlie.

Thanks for that. 

Yes indeed, when Peter Castle kindly sent me the generic RAF set he mentioned doing a specific sheet once he could obtain parts to design from.

As you mentioned, there are a number of areas along the build to be aware of and it's all covered off in the 18 page AMW review. I'm much looking forward to following how others complete theirs, as are the Airfix team.

Happy days.

Steve    

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 4:34 AM, Johnson said:

Wow! If that’s the case, then it may explain the delay in the release. I have the 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Vc and the cannon blisters are spot on. (Vc cannon blisters are the same as the early IXc’s, because they were converted from Vc airframes). If it makes it here for Christmas, I might have two Spitfires under the tree. I have the Kotare on preorder as well. Things are looking up.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 2:57 PM, MrB17 said:

I have one on preorder with Great Hobbies in Edmonton, sans poster? Just to confirm the shipping costs from UK to Canada, I put one in my Airfix basket and the shipping was £30, but with no vat the kit is £79. Still an excellent price to be sure, however it will still be about $10cdn cheaper through GH, so I will wait for that one, which by the sound of it will be here (home) before the Kotare Mk.I. The poster would go in the recycle anyway, I don’t have space and I am not a fan of invasion stripes, especially on a Spitfire. 
Also I came across a review on Key Model World that shows close ups of some of the parts, looks like a fun and exiting build, but there will be ejector pin marks to be filled. I’m not sure about the large cavities under the exhaust stubs? Also if your doing the early IX, you will have to wait for aftermarket corrected large cannon blisters, they botched those, as discussed previously. Here is a link if you want to have a look:

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/airfix-124-scale-spitfire-mkix-superkit-a17001

Cheers

Jeff

I have 4 Spits on order form Airfix. A bunch of us pooled together to get the free shipping from Airfix. With club membership the 10 % off really helps. We will have to pay brokerage fee of $25 to DHL. Either way landed at our door step in Toronto it works out to $138cad. Plus we will get them long before the shops do.

GH is a great shop which I usually visit when in Edmonton. Always something of interest for my suitcase.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by Corky
  • Like 1

Airfix have a new teaser video for the 1/24 Spitfire Mk.IXc. Also there are photos of 4 different 1/24 Spitfire IX’s on the Airfix website, these are featured on their decal sheet in the kit. The 402 Squadron Spitfire has the incorrect mysterious cannon blisters, so I don’t believe that they have fixed them. The models look good done up, except for the wide cannon blisters, and the drilled out rivets. Some modelling experience will be helpful. This line from their blurb, gives a pretty good clue to the release date: “our new Spitfire is almost here, so prepare to put those clocks back”. Hmmmmm. Here’s a link to the teaser, and wear your bib. 

Cheers 

Jeff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for posting the video Jeff. I like the details.

On 10/28/2022 at 2:37 AM, MrB17 said:

The 402 Squadron Spitfire has the incorrect mysterious cannon blisters, so I don’t believe that they have fixed them.

Could the oversized cannon blisters be something to do with ensuring that the panels over the cannon mags fit? Just a thought.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Thanks for posting the video Jeff. I like the details.

Could the oversized cannon blisters be something to do with ensuring that the panels over the cannon mags fit? Just a thought.

That shouldn’t have been a problem, considering the later narrow blister in the kit, would have to fit over the same cannon breech. Mysterious, why Airfix came up with that shape. Not only is it incorrect in outline as viewed from above, the profile is also too flat. The high point is about half way, and this is where the highest point of the outside cannon breech would be. The Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Vc cannon blisters have the perfect outline and profile, and this is what should have been provided by Airfix, in 1/24. Barracuda is looking into it, so I am confident that this will be among the first resin or 3D printed aftermarket parts available. If you’re going to do any early IXc’s, this would be a great help. It is a little disconcerting to see those squarish blisters on a beautifully  made model. I went to great lengths to find a photo of a cannon blister that looks like the Airfix one. I was only able to find one photo, it’s not the clearest, but it appears on the ground, next to a RAAF Vc with a 4 cannon installation. I seriously doubt that any IXc would have had that type of blister, and there are plenty of photos of early IXc’s with the teardrop shape blisters, including the ones on Airfix’s marking options. I have no doubt that this will be one of the first resin or 3D printed correction parts available as aftermarket. Let’s hope they pay attention to the profile as well, as I feel that this is one of the elusive shapes that when viewed from certain angles, may appear to look flattened and squarish. Here’s the link to my extensive research on this little issue. I may have to change my title to MisterBlister, instead of MrB17 haha.

Cheers

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Boy they are quick. Just got an email. Being dispatched to Toronto 🍁👍👍👍

I had anticipated a delay as Nigel said they were being released slowly over time as they produced the kit.

2 hours ago, Homebee said:

The very nice people on the Airfix stand said at the weekend it would be released today. Apparently their distribution system means even my local shop should have them imminently....