Airfix Mk.IXc in 1/24.

I was hoping to get at least one for my 65 birthday, I guess I will have to wait for Santa now. Maybe more appropriate, going back to Christmas in the 70’s I got the 1/24 P-51 and put the last decal on just before New Years. Then the Spitfire next year and decade’s later the Hurricane, which again last decal just before New Years. Airfix Christmas’ has always given me a warm fuzzy feeling. Also I have never done the 1/24 Stuka, I hear it’s a good reference for any other Stuka.

So if I get the Spitfire IXc by Christmas I will do my first work in progress here, followed by my first ready for inspection, hopefully before New Years 2023. My grandkids think it’s time haha.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bedders said:

Looks very nice. Not sure about the roots of the propeller blades though - they should be more rounded in shape.

Justin

I think it’s the way they have done the root and where it connects to the hub. The blades on the left are manufactured by Hercules to spec and from the original Rotol drawings, even using the original materials! Airfix’s blades look good, but the attachment to the hub is done differently from the real thing. Once glued in place, one would have to fill the seam to look the same as the real ones. Although I don’t know how much you can see with the spinner in place. Also notice the Rotol blades by Hercules are showing slightly different angles from the front, with the blade at far right looking fatter than the first one, even though they are identical.

I have to reshape mine to the earlier Rotol, as many of the early IX’s featured those, notice the shape in the 611 Squadron photos below, narrower chord and narrower towards the hub and rounded tips. These early Rotol props have been done as aftermarket in 1/48, hopefully they will be done in 1/24. Although it’s not too difficult to reshape, I had to do that on the Tamiya 1/32 IXc.

Here’s a link to the Hercules Propeller Company, they manufacture all manner of replica propellers and the site is a good reference for modellers. Notice the green dots at the root. There was a discussion about the colours of the dots on the Spitfire questions threads, I couldn’t find it though.

https://www.hercprops.com/spitfire-propeller-blades-1

F876F4FF-074F-41A8-A0A5-52D5293C669F A4C9CCC9-1340-4348-9BFB-79B1B8FCAAD8 B0395C1A-706E-45C8-A336-D3677CF4302C

Hope this helps 

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has heard when the Spit IXc will be released. I know the Airfix site indicates Autumn 2022. Hopefully Airfix isn't going to wait until Telford 2022. To do so would make it difficult for Santa at Christmas time for us folks overseas.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Grizly said:

Just wondering if anyone has heard when the Spit IXc will be released. I know the Airfix site indicates Autumn 2022. Hopefully Airfix isn't going to wait until Telford 2022. To do so would make it difficult for Santa at Christmas time for us folks overseas.

I asked the same question on the Airfix 2023 thread.

From @Richard Humm One of the Sprue Talk videos a few weeks back said the tools were on their way to the UK.

I preordered from Great Hobbies, simply because $150 Cdn. & free shipping is going to be hard to beat.

Cheers

Jeff

And in actual fact, just ordered or pre-ordered the Spit from E Models UK and the new 1/48 Bucc while I was at it. most expensive scale model purchase I've done in ages, but both new tooled Airfix kits, proud to be British just now, dont cha know :)

You could pay near £150 for a new Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire, easy ... I reckon I have a steal here :)

May take time for order to be fulfilled RE The Spitfire, but happy to wait.

Thats my Christmas presents to my self sorted early.

On 14/08/2022 at 18:13, MrB17 said:

I was hoping to get at least one for my 65 birthday, I guess I will have to wait for Santa now. Maybe more appropriate, going back to Christmas in the 70’s I got the 1/24 P-51 and put the last decal on just before New Years. Then the Spitfire next year and decade’s later the Hurricane, which again last decal just before New Years. Airfix Christmas’ has always given me a warm fuzzy feeling. Also I have never done the 1/24 Stuka, I hear it’s a good reference for any other Stuka.

So if I get the Spitfire IXc by Christmas I will do my first work in progress here, followed by my first ready for inspection, hopefully before New Years 2023. My grandkids think it’s time haha.

Cheers

Jeff

Happy 65th to you Jeff when it arrives sir, hope we both get our new Airfix 1/24 spits soon, for its price I think its a steal.

Like you I also, through pocket money or other child means owned the early Airfix 1/24 Super kits, Spitfire, 109, Mustang, Harrier and so on and inc the Stuka, Hurricane and 190, all excellent fun builds, Airfix went into limbo around then and so did I ... my life really took off, but Airfix bounced back with the 1/24 Mosquito, Typhoon and Hellcat and I missed all three :{

So glad they are back again with this brand new state of the art Spitfire kit, it will bring back flash memory's of my early childhood Airfix 1/24 MK1 spitfire kit again I'm sure, but with much more detail too.

Really looking fwd to its release.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 10:04 PM, Grizly said:

Speaking to a guy on the Airfix make and take display at Duxford last week (as they had a couple of built up ones and sprues on display ) and he seemed to think the end of October.

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thats not long to wait, Cool :)

Quick question, someone on this thread hinted kit will ship with a frosted front canopy part version and they were disappointed in that ??? Perhaps I picked him up wrong and its just a pre production front canopy he saw, because if an accurate option ... how on earth would the pilot see forwards?

17 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Thats not long to wait, Cool :)

Quick question, someone on this thread hinted kit will ship with a frosted front canopy part version and they were disappointed in that ??? Perhaps I picked him up wrong and its just a pre production front canopy he saw, because if an accurate option ... how on earth would the pilot see forwards?

That was me. It was a joke 🙂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, One 48 said:

Phew ... LOL, no worries :) haha

A few posts back, Homebee posted a promotional Youtube clip of a pre production / testfit example or whatever. At about 17 seconds in there's a closeup of the cockpit and canopy, and the finish is really rough. It looks like a frosted bathroom window. I assume for production they do something to the moulds or to the process to get the smooth surface we're all used to, and that the frosted glass at that particular stage in development shown in the video is entirely normal.

Hence my joke about not being sure if I like the frosted glass. All in jest. I have complete faith in Airfix to not sell it like that. If the real aircraft were like that all Spitfire pilots would be experts at instrument flying. 😆

• Haha 1

On 20/09/2022 at 19:03, kiseca said:

A few posts back, Homebee posted a promotional Youtube clip of a pre production / testfit example or whatever. At about 17 seconds in there's a closeup of the cockpit and canopy, and the finish is really rough. It looks like a frosted bathroom window. I assume for production they do something to the moulds or to the process to get the smooth surface we're all used to, and that the frosted glass at that particular stage in development shown in the video is entirely normal.

Hence my joke about not being sure if I like the frosted glass. All in jest. I have complete faith in Airfix to not sell it like that. If the real aircraft were like that all Spitfire pilots would be experts at instrument flying. 😆

Hi K.

That was 3D printed mate, an early trial - the conventional test shot IXc I completed recently for the November issue of Airfix Model World, due Oct 6, is crystal clear. An epic kit.

TTFN

Steve 

Edited by The Mandalorian
  • Like 8

On 9/17/2022 at 12:35 AM, One 48 said:

You could pay near £150 for a new Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire, easy ... I reckon I have a steal here :)

You could, but you’d have to go out of your way, dearest I can find is £110. 

• Like 1

Will the engine cowlings be able to clip on / clip off for display . Does anyone know ? . My usual scale is 1/32nd , have four 

Tamiya Spits. , but I`m really tempted by this one . 

Don .

1 hour ago, Don149 said:

Will the engine cowlings be able to clip on / clip off for display . Does anyone know ? . My usual scale is 1/32nd , have four 

Tamiya Spits. , but I`m really tempted by this one . 

Don .

Hi Don.

Once mine was complete I did give that a go. The flank panels fit over the engine mounting frames fine. There's only 'interference fit' to hold them in place, so a variation on the magnets theme would help I guess. The lower cowl slips over the air intake trunking too. The upper cowl didn't 'sit down' fully at the rear, as the air box is quite prominent. It may be that ruthless thinning of the inner cowl around that area makes it just possible - I haven't spent time trying as it was a pretty frenetic 11 weeks to complete as it was (there's a lot of modelling in the box) and I'm straight back on a project I broke off in order to go Spitfiring.

Wish you well with yours if you get one Don.

TTFN

Steve  

Edited by The Mandalorian
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve , I`ve got some magnets from a Tami Spit and Mosquito which were built with the cowlings closed .

I guess these may come in useful . The only other 1/24th model I have is the Airfix Mosquito built many years ago

with the Ally Cat bull nose conversion to a Mk XIII nightfighter 

TTFN .

Don .                                                                .

• Like 1

Has anyone seen the offer that Airfix has announced today for the new 1/24 Spitfire?

Along with the kit, they are offering a print of the Adam Tooby artwork that adorns the box top, in A2 size, free with every order! I was always intending to order from Airfix anyway (Airfix Club member so get 10% discount at checkout) so this kind of just puts the icing on the cake (so to speak)!

https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-free-a2-poster-bundlea16?fbclid=IwAR2Wp32u3TgsqgewnSl59-Z8oBEfXuviUTWGUSSxNawPssCIcP_WBYS20P4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Has anyone seen the offer that Airfix has announced today for the new 1/24 Spitfire?

Along with the kit, they are offering a print of the Adam Tooby artwork that adorns the box top, in A2 size, free with every order! I was always intending to order from Airfix anyway (Airfix Club member so get 10% discount at checkout) so this kind of just puts the icing on the cake (so to speak)!

https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-free-a2-poster-bundlea16?fbclid=IwAR2Wp32u3TgsqgewnSl59-Z8oBEfXuviUTWGUSSxNawPssCIcP_WBYS20P4

Looks like I need to join the Airfix club! Thanks for sharing that, sounds like an excellent offer.

I have one on preorder with Great Hobbies in Edmonton, sans poster? Just to confirm the shipping costs from UK to Canada, I put one in my Airfix basket and the shipping was £30, but with no vat the kit is £79. Still an excellent price to be sure, however it will still be about $10cdn cheaper through GH, so I will wait for that one, which by the sound of it will be here (home) before the Kotare Mk.I. The poster would go in the recycle anyway, I don’t have space and I am not a fan of invasion stripes, especially on a Spitfire. 
Also I came across a review on Key Model World that shows close ups of some of the parts, looks like a fun and exiting build, but there will be ejector pin marks to be filled. I’m not sure about the large cavities under the exhaust stubs? Also if your doing the early IX, you will have to wait for aftermarket corrected large cannon blisters, they botched those, as discussed previously. Here is a link if you want to have a look:

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/airfix-124-scale-spitfire-mkix-superkit-a17001

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by MrB17
Correction