Airfix Mk.IXc in 1/24.

8 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Thanks for the tip @Tbolt, I have made the adjustments, I just wasn’t thinking about having to read all of my dribble haha.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks that makes a big difference, easy to read now.

I guess this is just bad interpretation of a few photos, though it strange that they've ended up with an even squarer fronts to the blisters than Tamiya did in their 1/32nd kit when they got them wrong. Barracuda came to the rescue there with some resin replacements.

tam_60319_parts06.jpg

BCR32007.jpg?t=

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I guess this is just bad interpretation of a few photos, though it strange that they've ended up with an even squarer fronts to the blisters than Tamiya did in their 1/32nd kit when they got them wrong. Barracuda came to the rescue there with some resin replacements.

Yes, and if Airfix haven’t corrected them, I’m sure Barracuda will again come to the rescue. What I ended up doing with the Tamiya 1/32 one, before Barracuda fixed it, was to cut the incorrect blister off and then sand down the small blister from the late cover. I then reshaped the big blister and cemented it on the late panel. It was a lot easier than I thought. Although the square panel seen in the test shots would be almost impossible to reshape, it’s also too squat. I also reworked the Tamiya propeller blades to the early style, Hugo Armstrong’s FY-F had the early prop, and added button head rivets. That one went to a friend of mine.

I will be curious to see a close up of the treatment of the fuselage rivets on the new Airfix one. I’m pretty sure I will have to add rivets to that as well, I’m just hoping Airfix hasn’t “drilled them out” too deeply.The majority of the Mk.IX’s were flush riveted, the early ones that used Mk.Vc airframes were button head. It just wouldn’t be practical to have 2 different fuselages for the sake of the rivets. I don’t think anyone has done that in any scale.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

As a casual observer couldn't a builder just file the blunted end of the cannon cover to the correct shape ? My guess is it would probably take all of about 10 minutes each ? 

Been there done that with the Tamiya 1/32. I was writing about how I did that, (I cut off the big blister and reshaped it and then cemented it to the sanded down late panel) while you made this post. And you’re right, about 10 minutes.

Cheers 

Jeff

• Like 1

A great analysis Jeff. How about sending a copy to Airfix? They have a link on their website. Mind you, I sent them a message about the blisters and didn’t get a reply. But worth trying?

We shouldn’t really have to be doing a reshape on such a new and prestigious kit, and Airfix ought to know that.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Johnson said:

A great analysis Jeff. How about sending a copy to Airfix? They have a link on their website. Mind you, I sent them a message about the blisters and didn’t get a reply. But worth trying?

Hi Charlie, I took your advice and sent a message about it to Airfix, I received an auto reply so we’ll see what happens. Ironically enough, there is a built up Spitfire Vc on the page that has the right blisters! Not sure what kit that is, looks 1/72. And to top that off, the box art for the 1/72 Spitfire Vc/ Red Arrows Hawk combination kit, features a photo with a restored Vc in formation with a Red Arrow. The cannon blisters on the restored Vc look too small and squat! I remember the raked back antenna mast on the BBMF Hurricane when it was in the questionable Karel Kuttelwascher markings. That’s why warbirds and museum restorations aren’t necessarily the most accurate.

cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Source: https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/fighting-colours-new-124th-scale-spitfire-mkixc

92487.jpg

92489.jpg

Scheme A - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc ML214, Flown by Squadron Leader Johnny Plagis, RAF No.126 (Persian Gulf) Squadron, Harrowbeer, Devon, July 1944 (with options for June and December 1944).

92490.jpg
92491.jpg

Scheme B - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc EN398, Flown by Flight Lieutenant Ian Keltie, RAF No.402 (City of Winnipeg) Squadron, Kenley, Surrey, March 1943.

92492.jpg
92493.jpg

Scheme C - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc EN398, Flown by Wing Commander James Edgar 'Johnnie' Johnson, RAF No.402 (City of Winnipeg) Squadron, Kenley, Surrey, Summer 1943.

92494.jpg
92495.jpg

Scheme D - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc, Aircraft flown by Captain Garth Jared, Commanding Officer, 309th Fighter Squadron, 31st Fighter Group, USAAF, Italy, December 1943.

92496.jpg
92497.jpg

Scheme E - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc MJ897, GR 2/33 'Savoie', Armée de l'Air, Luxeuil-les-Bains, France, early 1945.

92498.jpg
92499.jpg

V.P.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

For me it will have to be EN398, Flown by Wing Commander James Edgar 'Johnnie' Johnson in memory of the first Spitfire I ever made (Airfix 1/72). 😀

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

That French scheme is brilliant! Definitely a departure from the typical RAF options

I agree completely, it's definitely the one I'd go for. The WW2 RAF schemes must be the most boring of all time and have all been done to death at this stage, fair play to Airfix for offering something a bit different.

• Like 1

EagleCal have also announced three decal sheets for the kit (see 24 - Eagle Editions Ltd. (eagle-editions.com) ). Having converted the Airfix Mk.1a to a IXc as 403 Sqn's KH*F, (see below and also posted in Ready for Inspection) building the new kit as the companion KH*B as flown by Beurling is of interest to me. Since the new kit also includes the option of using a broad chord rudder, I also placed an entry in "Aircdraft Modelling/Aircraft WW II" seeking IXc subjects that had that particular item. Xtradecal have markings for a IXe with the broad chord rudder but I can't find anything for a IXc. 

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 7/10/2022 at 6:05 PM, Grizly said:

Having converted the Airfix Mk.1a to a IXc as 403 Sqn's KH*F, (see below and also posted in Ready for Inspection)

That looks really excellent @Grizly.

On 7/10/2022 at 7:05 PM, Grizly said:

EagleCal have also announced three decal sheets for the kit (see 24 - Eagle Editions Ltd. (eagle-editions.com) ). Having converted the Airfix Mk.1a to a IXc as 403 Sqn's KH*F, (see below and also posted in Ready for Inspection) building the new kit as the companion KH*B as flown by Beurling is of interest to me. Since the new kit also includes the option of using a broad chord rudder, I also placed an entry in "Aircdraft Modelling/Aircraft WW II" seeking IXc subjects that had that particular item. Xtradecal have markings for a IXe with the broad chord rudder but I can't find anything for a IXc. 

spacer.png

And if they did  an E wing you could model the mk 16 from the same squadron. The one that's  in the Manston  Spitfire and  Hurricane  museum .

Edited by jenko

Unfortunately, it would take more than providing an 'e' wing to make a Mk.XVIe. What I was attempting to discover, given the kit includes a broad chord rudder, was a Spit IXc (preferably Canadaian given that is my area of interest) that had that feature.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Grizly said:

Unfortunately, it would take more than providing an 'e' wing to make a Mk.XVIe. What I was attempting to discover, given the kit includes a broad chord rudder, was a Spit IXc (preferably Canadaian given that is my area of interest) that had that feature.

My understanding is that the 16 is a 9 with a Packard Merlin. The Manston example I know very well as it's  just up the road from me .

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 11:10 PM, hopkp said:

I agree completely, it's definitely the one I'd go for. The WW2 RAF schemes must be the most boring of all time and have all been done to death at this stage, fair play to Airfix for offering something a bit different.

The French markings are great. I'd love to do that in 1/72.

The only problem for me is IF I had the space and money for a 1/24 Spit IX I think I'd have to do it in a more representative scheme, as I wouldn't be building another. But maybe not JE-J - that really is too well known!  

You are quite correct. Hence to make a Mk.XVIe, you would need a Packard Merlin and the associated changes to the engine compartment. Photos of unrestored Mk.XVIe once displayed in the Western Canada Aviation Museum.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will be a boring Johnnie Johnson build for me - I don't have any of the famous aces in a Spitfire model yet. 

The Popeye and the clipped wing French options are very tempting though. The US scheme has lovely colours too, but for some reason an American Spitfire just doesn't appeal to me. Don't ask me for a logical reason why, I don't have one. But while oddities like French or Polish Spitfires are attractive for me,  an American one isn't. Similarly if I had an option with a Mustang, I'd always choose US over RAF. 

• Like 1