Airfix Mk.IXc in 1/24.

Based on the sprues from the Workbench blog, it certainly looks like it's set up for other versions!

Separate fuselage sprue, wing sprues, engine sprues, cockpit sprues etc. Griffon engine versions anyone? Low back, bubble canopy versions, even Seafires?

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Based on the sprues from the Workbench blog, it certainly looks like it's set up for other versions!

Separate fuselage sprue, wing sprues, engine sprues, cockpit sprues etc. Griffon engine versions anyone? Low back, bubble canopy versions, even Seafires?

The separate sprues are mostly likely because of the large size and high parts count, which also makes it a little easier for the modeller. Airfix never seem to do too many versions from their tooling but you never know.

21 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

The separate sprues are mostly likely because of the large size and high parts count, which also makes it a little easier for the modeller. Airfix never seem to do too many versions from their tooling but you never know.

Would expect Airfix to do a IXe at the least, and it will need new upper and lower wings for that. Easy enough since they are on their own sprues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john224 said:

Would expect Airfix to do a IXe at the least, and it will need new upper and lower wings for that. Easy enough since they are on their own sprues.

And hopefully an VIII, if my memory is correct it would just need new upper wings if my thinking is correct ? 

2 hours ago, john224 said:

I agree, I would expect at least two versions. Still waiting for a B-17F though 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

And hopefully an VIII, if my memory is correct it would just need new upper wings if my thinking is correct ? 

It would also need a bay and doors for the retractable tailwheel, plus a flatter profile upper engine cowling panel.  The Mk IX's equivalent had a slight bulge to clear the intercooler.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

It would also need a bay and doors for the retractable tailwheel, plus a flatter profile upper engine cowling panel.  The Mk IX's equivalent had a slight bulge to clear the intercooler.

Bay and doors are easily catered for, as Airfix have made that area a separate part on the fuselage. Top cowl should be ok if the kit is an early IX (pre XVI), but top cowl has its own sprue (M) anyway, so different top cowls are also catered for.

• Thanks 1

Being a big time nostalgia builder, I have fond memories of the Airfix 1/24 aircraft kits, going back to the early 70’s. I am very excited about this kit being produced in the UK, it’s about bloody time! I want it! 65th birthday present it will be! I have earned it! I can afford it! It’s going to be Hugo,Armstrong’s BS435 in polished finish. 
Question for the Spitfire experts: Is the large cannon blister with the squared front edge accurate for any IXc? I seem to recall a similar issue with the Tamiya 1/32 Spit IXc. BS435 was an early IXc, and I believe that the cannon blister was the same as the Vc, a proper tear drop shape. Mr. Sutherland to the rescue?

Now if Airfix would produce a 1/24 Triumph Spitfire IV, I could park my Spitfire IV, beside my Spitfire IX. The only photo I have of my Spitfire was taken in 1979 in Edmonton, hence the snow. In -40c weather, the Pirelli P3’s took about 15 minutes to transform from square to round. I painted the Union Jack on the bonnet myself, the original “Shagfire” baby yeah! Still waiting for the 1/72 B-17F as well.

Jeff

My Spitfire in Edmonton 1980

• Like 5

As mentioned above, I don’t recall seeing any Spitfire with those square fronted wide cannon blister panels. I would be happy for someone to confirm / deny these ever existed and am hoping this is not another ‘scanned’ error from a restored example. 

Cheers.. Dave (who’s hoping I’m wrong). 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I don’t recall seeing any Spitfire with those square fronted wide cannon blister panels.

Neither do I Dave. I’ll have to look at my Morgan and Shacklady, but I think that they might be a mistake. One of the corrections Airfix referred to in their blog?

Edit - nothing seen in M&S, not really surprised, the contents can be a little diverse.

The posts by @JoshWilson and @MrB17 are most useful. Early double cannon blisters, not mainstream Mk.IXc production, and probably not what Airfix need for the s/n they are offering.

Edited by Johnson
Checked the book
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

With the way the parts are divided up could any Mark of Seafire be built/offered?

The closest would probably be a mark III. More knowledgeable people will have a better idea, but I think it would take a completely new nose and rear engine, some modifications to the wheels and wings (ranging from rescribe to rebuild depending on whether folded) and a carve up of the rear fuselage for a hook, and numerous more minor additions and modifications. I suspect most of these would have to be scratch builds.

I'd be very surprised if they release other 1/24 kits for different marks. 

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

As mentioned above, I don’t recall seeing any Spitfire with those square fronted wide cannon blister panels. I would be happy for someone to confirm / deny these ever existed and am hoping this is not another ‘scanned’ error from a restored example. 

Do you mean the early production blister?

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/01/cannon-blisters.html

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

The closest would probably be a mark III. More knowledgeable people will have a better idea, but I think it would take a completely new nose and rear engine, some modifications to the wheels and wings (ranging from rescribe to rebuild depending on whether folded) and a carve up of the rear fuselage for a hook, and numerous more minor additions and modifications. I suspect most of these would have to be scratch builds.

Wouldn't entirely rule that out: the original 'bubble top' Typhoon was 'reissued' as the 'car door' variant.

Sprue shots show the 'pointed' rudder: yes I know that some IX's had that too, though I think most of those had 'e' wings.  Don't know if information 'released' so far shows any hint of this being pre-planned.

The most obvious would be a 'low back'.  New fuselage parts required, but no more 'challenging' than with the Typhoon variants.  Most 'low backs' were XVls, having a Packard Merlin.  For differences v RR Merlin, they're listed in 'Spitfire - The story of a famous fighter' and don't seem too difficult if planned ab-initio.  Yes: some other minor differences too but again, if 'preplanned', no more 'challenging' than the Typhoon.

And lots and lots of (mainly post-war) users and colour schemes too..... 

1 hour ago, JoshWilson said:

Do you mean the early production blister?

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/01/cannon-blisters.html

Yes and that linked photo is taken from the wrong angle to show the true contours of the front of that cannon blister. What’s shown on the sprue shots on the previous page look nothing like I’ve ever seen, the fronts of the new kits blisters being quite square and not curved enough / at all. 

Airfix have hired a young chap by the name of Luke as their dedicated researcher to (among other things) iron out some of these small issues that have been creeping into their later kit mouldings. Hopefully he is also a member of BM and can share some thoughts with us here. 

No one forking out 100 pounds wants to spend another ten on a resin correction set. I’m hoping Airfix issue a corrected sprue for their Mosquito XVI gaffs, but doubt we’ll ever see one in time. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I haven’t seen those square blisters on any of the photos, of either an early IXc or Vc. However I stumbled across this page from LSP, showing aftermarket blisters in both styles, for the 1/32 Hasegawa Mk.V. The text explains that the square type was seen on SAAF Spitfires, with no photo evidence. They were made by Warbirds Productions. All I know is that the early IXc’s with 611 Squadron had a very clean teardrop shape, probably the same as the Vc and I have seen the same large teardrop blisters on Seafires also. I ran into this issue when working on the Tamiya 1/32 IXc, I cut the squared blister off, then reshaped it to a teardrop and then took the panel with the narrow blister, sanded it down and glued the teardrop on it. Not much later, Barracuda did a resin correction I believe.

Here’s the link to LSP: https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=231

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ngantek said:

The fuselage sprue shows a separate part for the tailwheel area. To me, the only reason for doing that would be to allow for, say, a Mk VIII from the same basic fuselage sprue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

There is a famous photograph of 2 sqn SAAF Vc's in line astern over the sea, armed with 4 cannon. I think the cannon blisters look more rounded at the front than those in the kit, but that's only my opinion.

Yhey were also on early Mk.VIIIs.  I believe they were mainly seen on the F. Mk.IXs, which have other differences from the more common LFs, notably the oil cooler in the wing root and no gun camera.  There are a number of published photos from the first press visit to a MK.IX unit FY code as I recall, and wet aircraft looking very glossy).  The wide fairing should be visible.  How square it is at the from depends very much on the angle at which the photo is taken, but it should be snubby at the front rather than a nice ellipse.

On the same theme, photos of Mk.Vc with the slim fairing appear to be fairly rare..  Ditto horn balance elevators.

20 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Being a big time nostalgia builder, I have fond memories of the Airfix 1/24 aircraft kits, going back to the early 70’s. I am very excited about this kit being produced in the UK, it’s about bloody time! I want it! 65th birthday present it will be! I have earned it! I can afford it! It’s going to be Hugo,Armstrong’s BS435 in polished finish. 
Question for the Spitfire experts: Is the large cannon blister with the squared front edge accurate for any IXc? I seem to recall a similar issue with the Tamiya 1/32 Spit IXc. BS435 was an early IXc, and I believe that the cannon blister was the same as the Vc, a proper tear drop shape. Mr. Sutherland to the rescue?

Now if Airfix would produce a 1/24 Triumph Spitfire IV, I could park my Spitfire IV, beside my Spitfire IX. The only photo I have of my Spitfire was taken in 1979 in Edmonton, hence the snow. In -40c weather, the Pirelli P3’s took about 15 minutes to transform from square to round. I painted the Union Jack on the bonnet myself, the original “Shagfire” baby yeah! Still waiting for the 1/72 B-17F as well.

Jeff

I bet that's 'fun' to drive in the snow. I lost the back of my Mk IV in the wet once, and had a frantic couple of seconds getting in back!

As for the forthcoming Airfix kit, I'm looking forward to it immensely.

Justin

• Like 2

This issue of the finish on the 611 Squadron IXc’s was discussed a few years ago on BM, the consensus was that 611 had a press visit and waxed their Spit’s for the photos. I originally thought it was just rain, but the glossy finish is still prevalent in the in flight photos, which certainly wouldn’t be the case if it was rain. There were a lot of photos taken that day, some by LIFE magazine. Took me a while to find this again, but this shows clearly the beautiful elliptical teardrop shape and profile of the early IXc cannon blister. I have more photos, but this closes my case. Another feature of BS435 is the propeller, not the standard “steak knife” rotol, the tips are smoothly elliptical. This has been done as aftermarket in the other scales. The photo of Hugo Armstrong in the cockpit, are FY-V, and feature a slipper tank. FY-F had the same propeller.

Jeff

04CC3A54-8894-431A-8186-715EAAA35F39 91EF73CF-C8CE-420F-80A9-76B87C83DBAB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bedders said:

I bet that's 'fun' to drive in the snow.

In Edmonton, the colder it was, the better the grip! The tires were Pirelli P3’s and although they were “square” when I left home, they had rounded out by the time I got to the hobby shop. I had no block heater, and I had to take the battery in the house every day, so I had enough cranking power to start one cylinder, then 2,3,4. 5 minutes of warmup and away! One night I backhanded the rear window to knock the snow off and put my hand through it! Here in Victoria when and if it snows, it’s incredibly slippery! I traded my Spitfire to my brother for my second of 3 Mk.1 Capri’s, before the next snow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrB17 said:

In Edmonton, the colder it was, the better the grip! The tires were Pirelli P3’s and although they were “square” when I left home, they had rounded out by the time I got to the hobby shop. I had no block heater, and I had to take the battery in the house every day, so I had enough cranking power to start one cylinder, then 2,3,4. 5 minutes of warmup and away! One night I backhanded the rear window to knock the snow off and put my hand through it! Here in Victoria when and if it snows, it’s incredibly slippery! I traded my Spitfire to my brother for my second of 3 Mk.1 Capri’s, before the next snow.

I owned two Triumphs but they were only summer runners for me.

• Like 1