Airfix Mk.IXc in 1/24.

@fightersweep Absolutely agree Steve.

I read that the Airfix 1/24 Mk.1 was based on a museum example and is very accurate. My build of it last year led me to conclude that it may well have been based on the Mk.1 at RAF Cosford. It should be well within the capabilities of an experienced modeller to fit the IXe wing parts to the IXc wing.

Regards,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

@fightersweep Absolutely agree Steve.

I read that the Airfix 1/24 Mk.1 was based on a museum example and is very accurate. My build of it last year led me to conclude that it may well have been based on the Mk.1 at RAF Cosford. It should be well within the capabilities of an experienced modeller to fit the IXe wing parts to the IXc wing.

Regards,

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was based on the Mk I in the Science Museum at the time, P9444. This is why the exhaust stacks in the kit are incorrect for a Mk I as P9444 had Mk V fishtail exhausts fitted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, john224 said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was based on the Mk I in the Science Museum at the time, P9444. This is why the exhaust stacks in the kit are incorrect for a Mk I as P9444 had Mk V fishtail exhausts fitted

That sounds highly likely John.

My theory about the Mk.1 being based on K9942 (seen here in the BM walkaround) was based on the extra strengthening strips on the Airfix Mk.1 kit which weren't on the plane as produced. Possibly added where screw holes were knackered during maintenance taking panels on and off.

1 hour ago, john224 said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was based on the Mk I in the Science Museum at the time, P9444. This is why the exhaust stacks in the kit are incorrect for a Mk I as P9444 had Mk V fishtail exhausts fitted.

I think I read the same somewhere too. It may have actually been in the accompanying PSL/Airfix book on detailing the 1/24 Spitfire.

The only problem I have with the original big Spit is that the windscreen and canopy seems a bit squat in appearance. I don't think the shape of the cross section of the top of frame 12 is quite right either, being too rounded in shape and again too squat. Just my opinion of course, but that area on the Airfix Mk 1 just all looks a bit squashed. Could be worse though. Trumpeter made a right mess of the cockpit area and canopy on their 1/24 kit. I feel confident that Airfix will get this right on the new Mk IX. Well, fingers crossed anway!

35 minutes ago, Johnson said:

That sounds highly likely John.

My theory about the Mk.1 being based on K9942 (seen here in the BM walkaround) was based on the extra strengthening strips on the Airfix Mk.1 kit which weren't on the plane as produced. Possibly added where screw holes were knackered during maintenance taking panels on and off.

Pretty sure the strengthening strips weren't on the original 70's issue, they were added when the Vb option was released in 2005.

Oh hell. I did want a Spitfire IX. Looks like this will be the one to get!

I love large scale models... which is a problem because I have nowhere to keep them. Even the boxes are already overflowing into floorspace 😬

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 6:00 PM, Nick Belbin said:

I can’t tell from the photos; does this kit have the canning as per the Typhoon and Hellcat?

Being a bit thick here, what's 'canning'?

Ta,

canning is in reference to "oil canning" which is the metal skin being distressed due to heat / cold , stress, wear and tear etc. Common on stressed skin riveted aircraft. 

Model companies have started to replicate this effect in recent years. Example Border Lancaster or Airfix Hellcat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Corky said:

the metal skin being distressed due to heat / cold , stress, wear and tear etc

Thanks Corky. So is it like a deformation of the panel around the rivets etc?

18 minutes ago, Corky said:

canning is in reference to "oil canning" which is the metal skin being distressed due to heat / cold , stress, wear and tear etc. Common on stressed skin riveted aircraft. 

Model companies have started to replicate this effect in recent years. Example Border Lancaster or Airfix Hellcat.

I suspect there are other better descriptions which may better explain it.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dambuster said:

IIRC The latest Airfix workbench does mention this.

Peter

This is one that I really wanted to read, considering the subject, but it also served to remind me how very badly written the Workbench blogs are! 

Best,

M.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

This is one that I really wanted to read, considering the subject, but it also served to remind me how very badly written the Workbench blogs are! 

Best,

M.

Quoted from Airfix Workbench :

The most time consuming aspect of the design was correctly modelling the iconic shapes associated with the Spitfire and adding all of the surfacing detail. Trying to accurately replicate the subtle undulations of the fighter’s stressed skin can be a long and arduous process, with this and other surfacing detailing work, such as riveting, taking up to three months of a designer’s attention. Chris described how replicating surfacing detail is just a case of being really organised and as this fits in with his character, he actually quite enjoys this stage of the work.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

Thanks Corky. So is it like a deformation of the panel around the rivets etc?

It's not so much around the rivets as an effect caused by shear stress in the (very thin) sheet surface., There is a formal name for it which I can't recall just now.  It is due to the diagonal shear forces being applied, typically. 

Because it looks like the dimpling you get when using an old fashioned  clink clonk oilcan, it was called 'oil canning'.  

Cheers,

John B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/18/2022 at 11:21 PM, fightersweep said:

Besides, I'm pretty sure Buchon Scale Models will also produce stuff for the new kit too. I had a chat with the owner last week and he's keen to do a Mk XIV conversion too, and the Airfix IX will be a great starting point for that.

Am planning on adding the new Mk. IXc to my stash, but will pick up 2 more if a XIV conversion is available.... 🥳

1 hour ago, AeroNautique said:

Am planning on adding the new Mk. IXc to my stash, but will pick up 2 more if a XIV conversion is available.... 🥳

Same here! A 1/24 Spit XIV is a bit of a bucket list kit for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/officialairfix/posts/10159632989316271

Taken at an advanced stage of the design process, these shots give you an idea of the complexity of the MK.IXc scale merlin engine.

With over 50 different variants of the engine, when Senior Designer Chris was asked what aspect proved most challenging from a project perspective, it will come as no surprise that the Merlin takes this spot!

Find out more about the newly tooled Spitfire Mk.IXc and what exactly goes into the research and design here: https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/designing-new-spitfire-airfix-style

273013370-10159632971256271-182755395287

273450872-10159632971091271-921436434500

V.P.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It does look oh so pretty in rendered form,.

I still have PTSD from trying to fit all the oil pipes on Napier Sabre when I built the Tiffy some years back. Off course, those mold parting lines that required careful scraping were no fun either.

Here's hoping that Airfix have improved since then!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1