Airfix Mk.IXc in 1/24.

46 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

One final note- after the 2019 Hellcat announcement (the last ‘proper’ Telford) when the banner was unfurled and there was a palpable ‘meh’ from the crowd- such a shame they couldn’t unveil it at the Nats and feel the room go ‘yay’! 🙂

The big reveal at Telford in 2019 was the Vulcan. The Hellcat was announced at Telford in 2018.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

It appears that the Airfix Club is for UK residents only.

That is true at the moment, but they did extend the memberships of non-UK members at least until the end of January, which is when the updated club is supposed to launch.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:00 AM, sniperUK said:

Sprue shots from yesterday thanks to Ian Crawford from the Diecast Aviation Forum.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:59 AM, Shuttle said:

Some sprue shots....

From the CAD graphics, the sprue shots and the displays, this looks like some really excellent plastic. It will be interesting to see what Airfix do in the decal department, something (I think) they have been very good at recently. And not just the outside, there is plenty of of scope for decals in the cockpit.

• Like 1

Rather than repost his photos, LargeScalePlanes member "geedubelyer" has shared some great sprue shots of the 1/24 Spitfire IXc on that forum.

23 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

One final note- after the 201[8] Hellcat announcement (the last ‘proper’ Telford) when the banner was unfurled and there was a palpable ‘meh’ from the crowd- such a shame they couldn’t unveil it at the Nats and feel the room go ‘yay’! 🙂

Hear hear! Although for some reason I imagine it as the "yay" from the animated sequence in Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, k5054nz said:

Rather than repost his photos, LargeScalePlanes member "geedubelyer" has shared some great sprue shots of the 1/24 Spitfire IXc on that forum.

Hear hear! Although for some reason I imagine it as the "yay" from the animated sequence in Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

Are you saying there was much rejoicing?

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. I'll have to wait for a Mk.VII or Mk.VIII conversion set before I buy this one, but I suspect I will in the long run.

• Haha 1

Someone mentioned will there be a Pilot figure, apparently not ... and that's OK, some one also mentioned too they were 13 when the first Airfix 1/24 MK1 Spitfire was released :)

Bought back fond memory's here, was living at RAF Machrihanish when late dad served there early 70's, would have been about 11 and I got one from a model shop in Campbeltown called Duncan Browns after saving up my pocket money ... if my memory serves me right? I'm 62 now!! Wow amazing times as a kid back then, there was no internet connected X-box's or PlayStations, it was Airfix, Scalextrix or Meccano :)

My first Airfix 1/24 Spit, took it back to primary school to show and wow, everyone including the headmaster was impressed and more so when I showed the little extra official Airfix prop motor too.

Sorry for this silly sentimental trip down memory lane there folks, but as well as buying this new new Airfix 1/24 Spit, am looking at one or two potential Ebay original Airfix 1/24 MK1 Spitfires for a nostalgia build too, even a prop motor if they are still available.

• Like 6

Last year's build - Needs a friend!

y4mimOtBTAp97spaB4Pt9dBrDcKwUh178UJfxels

(I know, needs weathering, one day soon...)

I think a Mk.IXC would look very nice alongside!

As regards the lack of pilot in the new kit, this chap didn't get to fly in the plane above, but I always thought Airfix had done quite a good job on the original 1/24 Spitfire pilot.

y4m6Zx1ApQUEYxXxo71tCV8-_jnor8CAq6WBe13b

Would he be correct for a Mk.IX?

I'm sure one of my more enterprising fellow BM modellers would be able to scan and print him in 3D (if that's how it works :unsure:)

Cheers,

• Like 7

With regards to pilots for the1/24 Spitfire;

I would not be surprised if some enterprising soul with a 3d printer is going to set up a service so that you can send in a photo and get your own face printed on the pilot figure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, LN-KEH said:

With regards to pilots for the1/24 Spitfire;

I would not be surprised if some enterprising soul with a 3d printer is going to set up a service so that you can send in a photo and get your own face printed on the pilot figure.

They already do this for RC models!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Given the issues with the Airfix B.XVI Mosquito I'm expecting multiple issues to be raised by those who are far more knowledgeable than me about Spitfires so Airfix are being brave indeed with this release, albeit a very welcome one. The  number of 'tweaks' that were made to the Mk IX airframe and getting then in sync with each other so that they are depicted correct chronologically is quite a significant undertaking and the company's lack of an eye for detail, evidenced with the Mosquito, does worry me somewhat. However as it's not my scale and also way beyond what I can afford to spend on a plastic kit I'll sit on the side lines and see what emerges.

That said I do have one basic question please. Assuming the kit depicts the more common LF version were there any external differences between the Merlin 66 fitted compared to the 61/63 and 70 fitted to the F and HF versions respectively as presumably these will need to be incorporated if one wishes to model them from the kit?

Regards

Colin.

On that scale, with stencils being so noticeable, I’ll be interested in seeing what Airfix or any aftermarket companies might make available for the markings on the rudders. Looking at good wartime period photos, I’ve seen quite a lot of rudders marked with the CBAF serials (Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory where most were built) but most   of the current restored ones (and decals I’ve seen) seem to go for SAF (Supermarine Aircraft Factory). Fuselage panels look encouraging to me so far, from what I can make out in the sprue shots. I’d love to do Mierzejewski’s ZF-B on this scale.

Thanks for the heads up. It isn’t something they are planning to do, but hopefully plans change. :) 

In the meantime, given the reasonably extensive internal structures on the kits wings, I suspect it wouldn’t be too hard for AM to come up with alternative panels to fit and create an ‘E’ wing. Fingers crossed. It would be nice to have the option. Also a new upper cowl to help create a Mk XVI.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I didn't realise I'd need that too - my plan is a high-back XVIe.

A taller intercooler on the Packard engine meant a bulged top cowl was necessary (there were some rearranged accessories on the engine as well). To standardise production, later mk IX's had the same cowl even though they didn't need it. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Thanks for the heads up. It isn’t something they are planning to do, but hopefully plans change. :) 

In the meantime, given the reasonably extensive internal structures on the kits wings, I suspect it wouldn’t be too hard for AM to come up with alternative panels to fit and create an ‘E’ wing. Fingers crossed. It would be nice to have the option. Also a new upper cowl to help create a Mk XVI.

The E wing and C wings were essentially the same. Only differences were absence of underwing spent cartridge ports on outer machine gun bay panels, moving the cannon to the outer position of the cannon bay and the provision of a .50 cal Browning and ammunition/feed in the inner cannon bay position. The changes to turn a C wing into an E wing were available as a field modification on Spitfires, so it wasn't that difficult. I would imagine a small sprue with the necessary items would be enough, so I can't see Airfix not doing an E wing in the future. 

• Thanks 1

Well, as I mentioned before, anyone wanting to use aftermarket will be able to get anything they need from Buchon Scale Models, including the bulged upper cowling of the Mk XVI.

I don't have any connection with the company, but having seen their up and coming products for 1/24 Mk IXs and XVIs, it would be silly not to share with the advent of the Airfix kit.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, fightersweep said:

anyone wanting to use aftermarket will be able to get anything they need from Buchon Scale Models

The CAD graphics look very nice, like the Spitfire E-wing configuration;

w587h600.jpg

But I see they were designed for earlier kits;

'The conversion kit is tailored to the Airfix 1/24 Scale Spitfire Mk I and Mk V, but may also be used on Trumpeter kits with some adjustments.'

How well will they fit the new kit?

It's great that Airfix are doing this new 1/24 Mk.IXc, but a real shame for Espen Tjetland who's done these impressive looking conversions. Personally I hope they will be good for the new kit, I particularly like the IXe.

• Like 2

@Johnson

I've always been led to believe that the old Airfix Spitfire, despite being old, is still pretty accurate. The only gripe I've heard relates to the canopy. Looking at the E wing parts above, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to fit the new kit if that is accurate also as the wing design was the same. I'll certainly give it a go. 

Besides, I'm pretty sure Buchon Scale Models will also produce stuff for the new kit too. I had a chat with the owner last week and he's keen to do a Mk XIV conversion too, and the Airfix IX will be a great starting point for that.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1