Airfix Mk.IXc in 1/24.

I think those sprue shots confirm to myself that a pre-order of one kit is not going to be enough. There's a lot of possibilities on those sprues even without the soon to be available conversions. I think a IXe, XVIe and an VIII will be a certainty from Airfix in the future.

• Like 1

The Airfix Super Kit has very much come full circle. 

Well done Airfix, I’m excited about this. I was 13 when the Mk.1a was released and was given one for my birthday. My wife doesn’t do modelling stuff for birthdays 🥳

37 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

I’m finding it very hard to resist this big Spit. I’ll hold out to see what 1600hrs brings in 1/72, but if there’s nowt for me, I know where the loot is going

SD

You think you have problems.  I only live 2 miles from Hornby and can see it over the fields at the end of my road every day.   B&Q is next to it ...so how many times have I said to Mrs. Jenko "I'm just off to B&Q luv ??? and come back with kits. It's a hard life I lead. :crying: :whistle: :P

Dick 

In the dog house again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, jenko said:

You think you have problems.  I only live 2 miles from Hornby and can see it over the fields at the end of my road every day.   B&Q is next to it ...so how many times have I said to Mrs. Jenko "I'm just off to B&Q luv ??? and come back with kits. It's a hard life I lead. :crying: :whistle: :P

Dick 

In the dog house again.

I feel your pain! For around 40 years I lived a few minutes from The Aviation Hobby Shop - stashtastic! Not so easy now up here!!

SD

• Thanks 1

The first response of my wife, when I showed her, was: "Cooooool". So I take this as a permission to buy one, when it comes. I am currently building their Hellcat, and though it fights me at times, I like it enough to warrant this kit too!!! 

Edited by Golikell
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Never purchased an Airfix 1/24th and still not likely too. Whilst its impressive as was the Hellcat and Typhoon, this scale has never appealed to me for aircraft. Far too big. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Well, my finger just happened to slip on Hannant's pre-order button

Isn't is just so annoying when that happens?

18 hours ago, treker_ed said:

@tomprobertWhen are you not in trouble with the wife for the size of kits you build (Isn't that the definition of "husband" ... :think: - constantly being in a state of trouble with the wife? Or is that just me?) ? Your Sunderland looks fantastic by the way. And the Shackleton was huge...... What happened to that by the way?

I'd say I'm in trouble with her more often than not, but that's just life. I'm glad you're enjoying the Sunderland - the Shackleton is in storage at the moment and will likely see the light of day again once the Sunderland is finished.

Tom

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GMK said:

No pilot? Can’t see one in the sprues. 

Noticed that, did the Hellcat and Typhoon come with a pilot? I'll still buy one though.

• Confused 1

My usual kit builds and purchases are of the nostalgic type. Show me a sixties Airfix B17 and my knees start to wobble a bit.

However, seeing this new Spitfire puts things in a different light altogether, it looks fantastic!

I watched the unveiling of the Hellcat at Telford and while impressed by the kit, had no real desire for one. The Spitfire has had a rather different impact that is going to cause my wallet some pain.

Well done Airfix. This one should do well enough to pay for next years 1.24 EE Lightning. I can live in hope...

There had been a bit of speculation on the forum as to the possibility of a 1/24 Spitfire IX and my feeling was that Airfix wouldn't do it and even if they did I wasn't going to be that hugely excited about it.  On seeing just the announcement I was mildly more interested but not thinking to acquire one.  Having now seen the design and the sprues I am really not sure how good monkey sitting on right shoulder is going to get a word in while bad monkey on left shoulder convinces me that it wont take up that much room when finished.  It does look rather tidy doesn't it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GMK said:

No pilot? Can’t see one in the sprues. 

Quite a scarcity in  modern kits

2 hours ago, One 48 said:

Noticed that, did the Hellcat and Typhoon come with a pilot? I'll still buy one though.

Hellcat definitely didn't, but 3D printing is your friend in this case.

4 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Never purchased an Airfix 1/24th and still not likely too.

Oh, now THIS 👆is the kind of content I came here to find! :lol:

Alan

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

There had been a bit of speculation on the forum as to the possibility of a 1/24 Spitfire IX and my feeling was that Airfix wouldn't do it and even if they did I wasn't going to be that hugely excited about it.  On seeing just the announcement I was mildly more interested but not thinking to acquire one.  Having now seen the design and the sprues I am really not sure how good monkey sitting on right shoulder is going to get a word in while bad monkey on left shoulder convinces me that it wont take up that much room when finished.  It does look rather tidy doesn't it.

If it helps, 1/24 Spitfire wingspan 46cms, 1/72 Lancaster wingspan 43cms. Not that big then. Bad monkey wins 😁

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Well, I put my pre-order in for three to get free shipping to the US. Seems like a good deal when you subtract the VAT and get the 10% club discount.

How can one join the club? I'm in Toronto and it won't let me sign up.

When I try to pay it says :"Sorry, we cannot ship "Airfix Club UK Membership (2021 Package - Nakajima B5N2 'Kate')" to your chosen destination."

Any ideas? It will let me pre order Spitfire.

Thanks for any help

So having seen those sprue shots (thank you so much to those who took them and shared them) I'm thinking a VIII is going to happen.

Can anyone with more knowledge than I confirm there are no "e" wing parts present? Not that I have to decide immediately, of course!!

1 minute ago, Corky said:

When I try to pay it says :"Sorry, we cannot ship "Airfix Club UK Membership (2021 Package - Nakajima B5N2 'Kate')" to your chosen destination."

Thanks for any help

The Club page says the following:

PLEASE NOTE:  Currently only available to UK mainland addresses, please check back for updates

26 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Not that big then. Bad monkey wins 😁

You are not helping here !:D  My first 1/48 model was  Monogram Spitfire IX and look how that ended up hundreds of kits and a few decades later :D

32 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Quite a scarcity in  modern kits

Hellcat definitely didn't, but 3D printing is your friend in this case.

Oh, now THIS 👆is the kind of content I came here to find! :lol:

Alan

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your comments?

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Thanks for any help

According to the Airfix website, at present, the club is only available to people who live in the “mainland UK.” Last year Airfix announced they were restructuring and upgrading the club benefits so my thought is that the current limited club availability is related to that. At that time, they extended the memberships of non-UK club members so I hope they make it available globally again soon.

6 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

According to the Airfix website, at present, the club is only available to people who live in the “mainland UK.” Last year Airfix announced they were restructuring and upgrading the club benefits so my thought is that the current limited club availability is related to that. At that time, they extended the memberships of non-UK club members so I hope they make it available globally again soon.

Ok,

Thanks for the info. I did send them an email to inquire.

One final note- after the 2019 Hellcat announcement (the last ‘proper’ Telford) when the banner was unfurled and there was a palpable ‘meh’ from the crowd- such a shame they couldn’t unveil it at the Nats and feel the room go ‘yay’! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1