Airfix Mk.IXc in 1/24.

29 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

I’m not a Spit expert, but the hardest part would be the retractable tail gear, short span ailerons, some putty and rescribing. I’m willing to bet that when we see sprue shots, there will be indications of whether or not they will do it. They’re already printing money with this one, so I would expect it.

Jeff

29 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Not in this boxing, but a future option most likely. 
The wings are two separate trees anyway, so... maybe 2023/4 ? :pray:

I can see a very nice Aussie Eight in my future. 

23 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I can see a very nice Aussie Eight in my future. 

I was thinking Grey Nurse myself, the coolest shark mouthed Spitfires IMHO.

Jeff

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

How hard would it be to convert to an Mk.VIII ? 

Off the top of my head, shorter ailerons, fuel tanks at the wing root leading edges, retractable tail wheel, repositioned belly light, lights on the lower wing tips, use the bigger carb intake. Not super difficult.

PS - also have one ordered, will be hard to stop at one!

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

How hard would it be to convert to an Mk.VIII ? 

Not dreadfully: rescribing of the wings to accommodate the leading-edge tanks and, optionally, a pointed tail.  The big external and visual change would be to add a retracting tailwheel.

I'd put the conversin in the 'moderate' category.

For extra fun, convert it into a Mk.VII !

Neil

• Thanks 1

Hi

wasn't going to get a 1:24 spit IX  until i saw the raf harrowbeer ' plagis '  scheme

now it looks like my wallet will take a hit 

cheers 

jerry 

2 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Yummy! VII’s, VIII’s, IX’s, XI’s, XVI’s, ‘C’ and ‘E’ wings, plus lots of lovely detail to cast and add to their Mk I/V’s!!

Good choice by Airfix, one of the most produced and used WW2 fighters and a good looking one as well.

Starting with the IXc, I can see several later releases by Airfix like the IXe followed by XVI and VIII - maybe even a Vb and Vc further down the line
I think they can leave Seafires, pressured VII, unarmed photo-reconnaissance XI, two seaters and floatplane versions to the makers of conversion sets.

Colour schemes are many, both RAF and Allies during WW2 and nations rebuilding their airforces after WW2 - USAAF, Israel, Czechoslovakia, Denmark and Norway are just some examples.

It is going to be hard for Airfix to top this on Monday when they let us know the rest of the releases for 2022.

This time their marketing strategy worked according to plan - no unintentional leaks and building up the anticipation - just see the amount of postings here. 

If I am to purchase my first 1:24 scale kit, it is going to be this one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alt-92 said:

On second thought, no, a Mk.I would need a new fuselage as the windscreen attachment is late Mk.V and up only. 

I hadn't considered that, I assumed they would do it like the 1/48 kits with separate parts for that area.

3 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

.... PS - also have one ordered, will be hard to stop at one!

I already decided I wouldn't buy one. But I might even decide not to buy two! 😕

Edited by New Tool
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

It looks as if I’m going to be I trouble again with the wife. Oh well. 

I am proud of the fact that I discussed this piece of news with my wife as soon as I heard it. She's aware of my love for all things Spitfire and Airfix. I even told her the cost. She seems resigned to its inevitability.

Of course, I can't buy anything else until 2025.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

I am proud of the fact that I discussed this piece of news with my wife as soon as I heard it. She's aware of my love for all things Spitfire and Airfix. I even told her the cost. She seems resigned to its inevitability.

Of course, I can't buy anything else until 2025.

Just in time for the 1:24 EE/BAE Lightning to be released. Lucky you :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Now, that is something I would not hesitate to buy, what a beast!

SD

Should be possible. Size wise the 1:24 Mossie takes up a bit more real estate. Length would be the same as the wingspan as the 1:24 Mossie, wingspan is of course less than both the Mossie’s length and wingspan. Anyway, back on topic ;)

6 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Me too. IF there's an "e" wing in there...otherwise that's the one I'll get!

Perhaps not, according to someone else, the CAD shown by Airfix do not include the necessary parts.

The actual model plastic might of course differ

• Like 1

Fantastic! Well done Airfix. I’d hoped this might be one they’d do in 24th scale some years ago and it’s surely going to be a big seller. I see the tyres look to be weighted in the spruce shots. Will love getting one of these. Wonder which airframe they might have used as a reference?

• Like 1

I have 2 on pre order.

Not only that but having resisted 1/24 for years I am going to buy a cabinet just for them, so will end up probably doing a Typhoon and Hellcat as well.

The modular construction of the rear under the tail certainly allows for a Mk.VIII. 

This is the best news for Airfix as I think I can't be the only one who will use this as a gateway drug into Airfix's other 1/24 kits.

My wish lists are being full filled with alarming regularity...

1/72 V-Bombers. Completed. Tick!

1/72 1970's FAA.  Buccaneer & Phantom, waiting on Wessex, Gannet Sea Vixen & Scimitar. 

1/72 Bomber Command. Whitley, Lancaster, Wellington, waiting on Hampden, Battle, Stirling & Halifax.

Keep it up Airfix.  Wonderful work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking at those sprue shots, as some have already said, really does open open up opportunities for multiple versions. 

Change the wing sprues for different wing types, change the fuselage for cut down fuselage versions, not having a "full length" fuselage may help to have griffon engined spits etc.

Not being a spitfire expert I appreciate other things may need to be changed to accommodate some other versions but the basics are there. I can see multiple 1/24 spits in the future from this initial Mk IX.

• Like 2