Airfix Mk.IXc in 1/24.

One or two of these will certainly be on the shopping list. Great choice by Hornby. Despite how much a Mk 1a replacement would have been nice, they absolutely made the right decision on the mark. Now, to make me really happy, I'll keep my fingers crossed the aftermarket bods come up with a Mk XIV conversion for this kit (although a conservation with Buchon Scale Models has hinted this will be coming)

• Like 2

Gutted for the guys at Buchon Scale models - I nearly pre-ordered the whole conversion a few weeks ago but decided to hold off in-case Airfix did this. It's safe to say my order is now in with Airfix. 

The pre-production model shows the pointy rudder is being tooled, so all I'm missing now is the 'E' wing armament for MK356, which will come from BSM.

Lots of clamouring already for decals / masks for MH434 and I can see why. Fingers crossed somebody will provide because that will be my choice for if I get another. 

Cheers,

WV908

Wow, another not my scale comment here, but I will get one just because its a Spit and new tool, is there likely to be a short production run and sell out quick do you guys think? or best to pre-order now ??

Video wont play for me, wonder if the wings can be built like that ... spars and ribs? if so the wing panels would need to be very thin, or perhaps optional to do it that way?

Love the choice of markings too, are the modern large scale Airfix decals up to speed these days, am sure there will be plenty A/M ones though.

Nice one Airfix, seems fairly priced too for this scale and level of detail, hope they do a new tool 109 next.

I’ll definitely be getting one of these. No idea when I’ll build it or where I’d display it when I do, but I think it’s a ‘must have’ for me.

The only problem I have is that I want to do a “one built/sold-one in” policy on the stash this year. Best I get on with that 1/72 Jet Provost or Gnat to make some space 😉 

Steve

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, WV908 said:

Gutted for the guys at Buchon Scale models - I nearly pre-ordered the whole conversion a few weeks ago but decided to hold off in-case Airfix did this. It's safe to say my order is now in with Airfix. 

The pre-production model shows the pointy rudder is being tooled, so all I'm missing now is the 'E' wing armament for MK356, which will come from BSM.

Lots of clamouring already for decals / masks for MH434 and I can see why. Fingers crossed somebody will provide because that will be my choice for if I get another. 

Cheers,

WV908

That was exactly my first thought. I pre-ordered the Buchon Scale Models Mk XVIe lowback set early last year. It was 70 Euros (It's now showing 145 Euros on the website). I'm still ok with that as at least the XVIe is sufficiently different. I did notice though that they are now advertising a lot of the components separately now such as the E Wing conversion, so it may still work out for them.

• Like 1

How long before a Mk 8. 

Just remember how Tamiya did there's.

Dick

Hornby have just gone into the black.

• Like 1

Did anyone take any sprue shots. I'm interested in the tail wheel assembly. If that area is an insert  then a Mk 8 might be on the way in the distant future.

Dick

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jenko said:

Did anyone take any sprue shots. I'm interested in the tail wheel assembly. If that area is an insert  then a Mk 8 might be on the way in the distant future.

Equally the way the wing and forward fuselage designs are executed and grouped on sprues will give a hint to (potential) variations.

• Like 1

While this thread has now been restored following its accidental deletion among all the other threads on the subject, the moderating team would like to add;

Please keep comments polite and on topic. No need to mention the fact "its another Spitfire, do we need one?" fo teh fact its the wrong scale and you actually wanted 1/34th. Also please refrain from rubbishing the kit. If you see some actual problem and have some back to what you are saying this is welcome for people to read. 

Lets really just welcome we are seeing a new tool 1/24 Spitfire from Airfix, I for one know my "im not planning on buying any new kits at the moment just went right out of the window :D "

Thanks

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Julien said:

I for one know my "im not planning on buying any new kits at the moment just went right out of the window :D "

Quite possibly for me too.   If I do give in to temptation, I just need to keep it fiscally neutral so that I don't incur the wrath of Mrs H.

I have more than enough unbuilt kits already and no idea where I would put it, but...

As others have said, it will be very interesting to hear what other potential variants may be on the way - I don't know enough about Spitfires to comment on which variants could or could not be accuratly tooled from this basis, however it can only make excellent business sense for Airfix to accomodate that into their tooling design.

• Like 1

In no way a criticism, but mildly surprised Airfix did not include a nod to their own heritage here by including the markings for EN398, JE-J,  in which W/Cdr Johnnie Johnson shot down 12 aircraft and shared five plus six damaged while commanding the Kenley Wing.

A perennial of the Airfix catalogue for decades, this may well have been my first ever kit (toss up with the Zero). I certainly lost count of the number I built down the years. I am sure many will tell me why Airfix shouldn't have included this subject (probably wrong sub-type, wing, engine cowling etc - i'm no Spitfire expert) but this is just my view. 

spacer.png

I guess if I do get this kit (and I'm very tempted) these will be the markings it ends up in... for the sake of auld lang syne.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 6

Great subject choice Airfix. My kit reduction plan for 2022 has been dealt an early blow. I’ve wanted one of these for years. I will be building it as a tribute to a childhood pen-friend of mine, an RCAF pilot of 403Sqn - George Aitken, the IXc was his favorite aircraft when he flew from RAF Kenley and was a great guy.
 My hopes are these; Airfix makes it their best kit ever, showcasing what they are capable of doing, and that they include the possibility of many of the variants/sub types for future releases. I hope this is a real money maker for them, I can’t wait. 

Edited by brianj1uk
Spelling mistake
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, RichG said:

In no way a criticism, but mildly surprised Airfix did not include a nod to their own heritage here by including a Spit in the  markings for EN398, JE-J,  in which W/Cdr Johnnie Johnson shot down 12 aircraft and shared five plus six damaged while commanding the Kenley Wing.

Rich

Hi Rich,

EN398 is one of the marking options in the kit, just in her earlier guise before she became Johnson's steed. 

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WV908 said:

EN398 is one of the marking options in the kit, just in her earlier guise before she became Johnson's steed. 

Ah yes so it is! Cheers - that makes me feel better now, but the eyesight is fading!

Rich 

PS

“I found the engineer officer and together we had a look at her, gleaming and bright in a new spring coat of camouflage paint. Later I took her up for a few aerobatics to get the feel of her, for this was the first time I had flown a Mk IX. She seemed very fast, the engine was sweet and she responded to the controls as only a thoroughbred can. I decided that she should be mine, and I never had occasion to regret that choice.”
W/Cdr James Edgar “Johnnie” Johnson about his first encounter with EN398

• Like 4

I have been thinking of selling my 1/72 stash and going 1/48 only. but recently I have been looking at the 1/24 Mossie and Typhoon, and now this rolls across the screen.....