Airfix Mk.IXc in 1/24.

New tool - release expected in Summer 2022 - 1/24th - ref. A17001 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 

Sources: 

https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-a17001

https://www.facebook.com/officialairfix/posts/10159577644406271

EARLY 2022 PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT

Announced at the Imperial War Museum Duxford this morning, one day before range launch, Airfix is excited to reveal the first new mould kit for 2022, the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc in 24th scale.

This new super kit includes:

• Early and late intakes and breech blisters

• Clipped wings

• Two elevator types

• Highly detailed cockpit

Something of an aviation classic and the last major Merlin engine powered variant of the Spitfire, this mark is arguably one of the most important in the entire Spitfire production, going on to see service past D-Day and into the post war era.

Scale 1:24 | Skill Level 4 | 433 pieces

Box art

a17001-1.jpg

Schemes

a17001-12.jpg

a17001-13.jpg

a17001-14.jpg

a17001-15.jpg

3D renders

271601596-10159577644346271-520440035838

a17001-6.jpg

a17001-5.jpg

a17001-7.jpg

a17001-11.jpg

271714217-10159577644206271-284444799005

Youtube Video linkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFHOqKoxVU0

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, franky boy said:

It looks great. I hope it’s as nice as the Hellcat. Great marking options too. 

I agree - However, as usual judging by some of the comments on FB, you would think the world has just imploded....

"Look at the renderings - the detail is so gross, just like Airfix did a long time ago"

I think the level of detail is superb, on a level with Zoukei Mura for the intricacies in the wing etc. Somehow I have a feeling one of these will be working it's way into the stash this year!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Andre B said:

Great News!

What is needed to convert it to an IXe?

Cheers/André 

Literally just the cannon and 50cal being revered places and the 303 holes filled. The bulge has to be moved outbaord on the panel that covers the cannon too.

I'd quite like a Seafire iii conversion! 

• Like 3

Not something I’m likely to buy, but that looks fantastic. Well played Airfix, fingers crossed for a 1/72 treat tomorrow!

SD

(but re-looking at their announcement, I could easily be tempted)

2 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Literally just the cannon and 50cal being revered places and the 303 holes filled. The bulge has to be moved outbaord on the panel that covers the cannon too.

I'd quite like a Seafire iii conversion! 

And I have an idea of building an Israeli Spitfire IXe... ;)

13 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Great News!

What is needed to convert it to an IXe?

Cheers/André 

May I suggest this:

https://www.buchonscalemodels.com/products/1-24-supermarine-spitfire-mk-ixe-resin-conversion-kit3

Or the full range;

https://www.buchonscalemodels.com/categories/124-scale

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

I agree - However, as usual judging by some of the comments on FB, you would think the world has just imploded....

mmm Airfix stepping out of their comfort zone with an unusual choice of subject matter... :rofl: 

Ah they are probably just irritated that something that is supposed to be a Spitfire, actually looks like a Spitfire and not like their favoured esotetic subject and which didn't Airfix realise would sell in the, well, probably, in the 100's!

Looks like 2022 is going to be the year of the Spitfire with new kits in 1/24 & 1/32... must resist, must resist... no room... not my subject matter... not my preferred scales... must resist, must resist...  Resistance is futile!    

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Haha 11

Thank you Airfix, there goes my New Year resolution to sell off the remainder of my 1/48 and 1/32 scale stash and stick to 1/72!

What the hell, there's always next year.

It looks far too tempting to ignore.

45 minutes ago, RichG said:

mmm Airfix stepping out of their comfort zone with an unusual choice of subject matter... :rofl: 

Ah they are probably just irritated that something that is supposed to be a Spitfire, actually looks like a Spitfire and not like their favoured esotetic subject and which didn't Airfix realise would sell in the, well, probably, in the 100's!

Looks like 2022 is going to be the year of the Spitfire with new kits in 1/24 & 1/32... must resist, must resist... no room... not my subject matter... not my preferred scales... must resist, must resist...  Resistance is futile!    

Rich

Resistence is absolutely futile!  I’ll be having one and it will most likely go straight onto the bench. 

At at least being 6 months away this gives a good deal of time to think of a plan to sneak it into the house under the wife’s the radar to a safe place of hiding! Hopefully she’ll be back in the office by then. 

James

• Like 3

Interesting. So Airfix now have a Spitfire Mk 1a, Mk V and Mk IX in 1:24th.  Quite  a line up; presumably that completes their likely Spitfre output (please!), though I agree with wellsprop, a Seafire would be nice, to display wings folded. 

Maybe I need to get my old Mark 1a and the Mk V built...

5 minutes ago, franky boy said:

At at least being 6 months away this gives a good deal of time to think of a plan to sneak it into the house under the wife’s the radar to a safe place of hiding! Hopefully she’ll be back in the office by then. 

James

Sadly my wife is now working from home on a permanent basis, with an agreement that she goes into the office on a "as needed" basis, with an agreed 2 days a week requirement though. So I have absolutely no chance of sneaking any kits into the house!:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Resistence is absolutely futile!  I’ll be having one and it will most likely go straight onto the bench. 

The stash 'll no take it, Captain!

Rich

• Like 1
  • Haha 8