Tackling masking tape paint ridges

TonyOD

Hi all - I'm a brush painter, I used to just freehand camo schemes but have started knocking up masks, his is where the top layer meets the base layer there is a very slight "ridge" of paint. It's only really an issue where a decal needs to go on top and it will be visible, but I was wondering if anyone had any tipe for reducing these? Fine sandpaper seems to be the obvious solution but I don't to abrade the paint off altogether. Thanks.

Let the paint dry FULLY.  Then a light and I mean light rub/brush over with 3600 micro mesh.  

HTH

Dick

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I use a fresh Swann Morton No10 large curved blade to gently scrape along the ridge.

It's better if the ridge doesn’t happen, but that’s a trick I haven’t mastered yet!

Same here, a good quality thin blade used with care on fully dry paint.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Hi all - I'm a brush painter, I used to just freehand camo schemes but have started knocking up masks, his is where the top layer meets the base layer there is a very slight "ridge" of paint. It's only really an issue where a decal needs to go on top and it will be visible, but I was wondering if anyone had any tipe for reducing these? Fine sandpaper seems to be the obvious solution but I don't to abrade the paint off altogether. Thanks.

If you're concerned about sanding through the paint, you could wait for the paint to dry thoroughly, apply a coat of varnish and then sand using the finest you've got. If you sand through the varnish layer before the ridge is eliminated, re-varnish where you've been sanding and repeat until you have a smooth surface and the ridge is eliminated. If you're careful you'll only be sanding the varnish and the ridge, not the underlying paint layers.

• Thanks 1

On my first airbrush use in 2020, I sprayed the second colour on a bit too thick, leaving a ridge after mask removal. 

What I did was to take a round wooden toothpick and sharpen it down to a chisel point. I then used this to rub down the ridges.

50390979453_d925d6e913_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback. I went with @jenko's Micromesh tip and it shifted the worst of it, I'm sure if I'd been a bit braver I might have got it smoother still!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1