Two Australian aviation museums - Part 1 Temora

Pinback

Happy New Year everyone :)

Mrs Pinback and I left Melbourne and crossed into New South Wales over the Christmas break while keeping an eye out for any new sneaky snap COVID border closures. First part of the road trip was to see the CSIRO radio telescope at Parkes. Not quite as big as Joddrell Bank but getting there. Within spitting distance are the aviation museums at Temora and H.A.R.S. Parkes.

Temora was established by businessman and Australian aerobatic champion David Lowy. The aircraft are all essentially airworthy depending on serviceability. Temora is their home base. (I think the CAC Sabre is grounded due to it needing a serviceable ejection seat). Here are a few photos. Will post H.A.R.S. Parkes shortly.

Maintenance time for the Spitfires, a Tiger Moth and CAC Boomerang

spacer.png

spacer.png

How about this for a diorama? Temora was home for No 10 Elementary Flying Training School during World War II. This is what it looked like at that time. There are about 60 Tiger Moths in the diorama, each with their own registration (!). I make the scale at about 1/250.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Hudson is the world's only airworthy example at the present time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The only airworthy single seat Meatbox (Registration VH-MBX)

spacer.png

The CAC Sabre is owned by the RAAF Museum and is on loan. The museum pays for ongoing maintenance and operating costs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Sabre's AIM-9B Sidewinders

spacer.png

Ex Vietnam Air Force Dragonfly and ex RAF Canberra.

spacer.png

The Canberra (B.2/ TT.18) was previously WJ 680

spacer.png

General view

spacer.png

CAC Wirraway - squeezed in

spacer.png

The Cessna O-2A is ex USAF. The Tiggie is the oldest surviving in Australia.

spacer.png

Another Cessna- this time an O-1G Bird Dog on loan to the museum

spacer.png

Ryan STM-2

spacer.png

Will post the Parkes photos shortly. On the road to Parkes is this Vampire perched on a pole in the town of Forbes. It needs a bit of TLC.

spacer.png

PB

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Last time I saw the Canberra,  she had her engines out for rebuild; nice to see them where they ought to be, and hopefully she's on the way to flying condition.

The Sabre was waiting for a suitable ejection seat 5 years ago, can't remember the full story but there was some issue between manufacturers, iirc........

No doubt someone with the full drum will be along to set me straight. Great set of photos, these and the Parkes set, @Pinback .

Rog

PS What's that creature in the cage below the Forbes Vampire..........?

Edited by roginoz
PS
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:17 PM, roginoz said:

On 1/10/2022 at 10:52 PM, Paul J said:

Zoomed in, it looks like ET?

Its a field gun :) pointing in our general direction

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:47 PM, roginoz said:

Last time I saw the Canberra,  she had her engines out for rebuild; nice to see them where they ought to be, and hopefully she's on the way to flying condition.

The Sabre was waiting for a suitable ejection seat 5 years ago, can't remember the full story but there was some issue between manufacturers, iirc........

No doubt someone with the full drum will be along to set me straight. Great set of photos, these and the Parkes set, @Pinback .

Rog

The Canberra flew again recently after being grounded for over 10 years and was been flown at the last two flying days in the last few months.

The Sabre seat saga is due to MB removing support for the cartridges in the older seat that is fitted. There has been a engineering proposal to put a PC-9 or PC-21 seat into it but that requires an engineering sign off by RAAF boffins in Canberra since it is a RAAF asset and comes under their engineering processes. From what I have heard there is no one willing to sign off the changes just in case something goes wrong if there is an accident and the seat does not work properly. Mind you the current seat in the Sabre is not the original type and a similar engineering exercise was carried out to fit a more appropriate seat back in the 80s which involved modifying the canopy opening mechanism to get over the slightly taller seat when opening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice photos and post. We have just moved down to Wodonga and will be taking a trip up. My 9 year old daughter is a huge Spitfire fan so she wants to see one up close and of course fly :) that’s what I get to do for letting her watch the Spitfire Film with the ATS ladies taking a quite rightly prominent part.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy New Year to you PB.  The photos are excellent, thank you for posting them.

On 09/01/2022 at 07:42, Pinback said:

spacer.png

Suddenly, I've found something that inspires me to get the new Airfix Spitfire! :clap:

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 11:28 AM, Greg B said:

We have just moved down to Wodonga and will be taking a trip up.

Hope the move went well :). Victoria is the place to be :) ( NSW is pretty good too )

(I got a COVID ping in Albury while filling up for final leg so be careful about straying over the border!)

31 minutes ago, Pinback said:

Hope the move went well :). Victoria is the place to be :) ( NSW is pretty good too )

(I got a COVID ping in Albury while filling up for final leg so be careful about straying over the border!)

Cheers mate,  A nice place and a change in gear from Sydney. However my wife is a NSW paramedic working from Albury and just transferred down from Bankstown/Liverpool. So it will only be a matter of time before we all get it, mind you I'm surprised we have escaped it so far.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 8:42 PM, Pinback said:

Happy New Year everyone :)

Mrs Pinback and I left Melbourne and crossed into New South Wales over the Christmas break while keeping an eye out for any new sneaky snap COVID border closures. First part of the road trip was to see the CSIRO radio telescope at Parkes. Not quite as big as Joddrell Bank but getting there. Within spitting distance are the aviation museums at Temora and H.A.R.S. Parkes.

Temora was established by businessman and Australian aerobatic champion David Lowy. The aircraft are all essentially airworthy depending on serviceability. Temora is their home base. (I think the CAC Sabre is grounded due to it needing a serviceable ejection seat). Here are a few photos. Will post H.A.R.S. Parkes shortly.

febc80eb-5847-4d9d-a40e-1812f1125bef.jpg

PB

Those trailing edges are much too thick. ;) 

Thanks for this super set of photos @Pinback, they really are mouth watering stuff. One day. :) Thanks too @roginoz for filling in some gaps. ,

@Greg B I hope you guys can avoid this a while longer yet, looks like the latest strain might just have escaped isolation & got loose in this country, something to look forward to, not. :(

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Albury/Wodonga is [are] a beautiful part of the world.

I worked up river [the REAL R. Murray ] from the twin cities for 5 years back in the 90's and would go back there in a flash if family weren't so tied, job- and relationship-wise to our locale.

Fishing, bush walking, snow sports, horse trails, wild life.......magic, and far enough away from both metropolises [? sp.] for sanity !

Rog 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 5:31 PM, Greg B said:

my wife is a NSW paramedic

Hats off to your good lady , paramedics do a superb job :)

On 1/16/2022 at 5:51 PM, stevehnz said:

Those trailing edges are much too thick

If you mean the tiggies then I agree! And no rigging! :)

• Haha 1