F7U Cutlass carrier ops

72modeler

Found this one just now. Doesn't look like the gutless Cutlass was much fun to come aboard, as the crash at around 5:50 shows. Pilot was killed, but all injured deck/fire crews survived. Pilot was the squadron exec. Footage via YouTube.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Incredible how the LSO could see what was happening, and managed to run across the deck in front of the Cutlass to avoid being killed at his station, that and the poor guy in the cat walk.

Very informative page on the tragic event here, http://www.richkirschsfightinghannah.com/alkire-faulkner-gallery/index.htm

Apparently only the pilot was killed, everybody else was treated for their injuries, thankfully. 

On 1/9/2022 at 8:15 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

Maybe this year I’ll finish my F7U-3 monograph, coauthored with Al Casby, who is restoring one of his to flight status. In the meantime: https://thanlont.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-gutless-cutlass.html

Tommy- count me in for one copy! Can't wait to wee it, as good Cutlass  references  are few and far between! What in the world is Al going to power his- J-85's?

Mike

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Tommy- count me in for one copy! Can't wait to wee it, as good Cutlass  references  are few and far between! What in the world is Al going to power his- J-85's?

Mike

He has enough of flightworthy J46s for a while. From the standpoint of durability and reliability and considering his F7U will be light, he is confident that they’ll be adequate for his purposes. I’ll note that the Gutless sobriquet came into being when the Navy repurposed it as a Sparrow I missile armed fleet air defense fighter, adding a couple of thousand pounds of empty weight without any increase in engine thrust, which to be fair, considering the mission, it didn’t need. As a day fighter, even with derated engines, it had a thrust to weight ratio as good as or better than the FJ-3 and F9F-8.

• Like 6