Latest Airfix Valiant

KB11

Hi All,

First post on the forum, glad to be a member.

I've been modelling for well over 30 years but had to take some time out over the last few. One of my main interests is Suez so I have been picking up a few things I missed or were not available last time I was collecting AEW Skyrader, Avenger etc.

I have the Historic Wings Vac Valiant in the stash but now Airfix have released an injection moulded version, I think that would be a nice addition. The problem is I've missed the first model and only the PR\Tanker is now available. Does anyone know if the 50's 

bomber version suitable for Suez is included in the latest release or would I be better off trying to hunt down the first release.

Thanks in advance.

It's exactly the same version (different markings for the PR/Tanker version boxing)- just with the pr/tanker parts that were available as an aftermarket add on via Airfix in the box as well. You would just need to source a set of decals suitable for a Suez operation aircraft.

Edited by treker_ed

Coincidently, WZ393 depicted in the current boxing with 90 Squadron, was used in the Suez campaign by 214 Sqn as a B.1.

Worth double checking, but apart from the serial numbers I don't think any other markings were carried during the campaign.

Excellent, thanks for the info, that one it is then. From all the books on the crisis I have, I know they carried no special markings, they weren't there that long, and obviously no stripes..   Now if someone would only produce an IM Hastings...  

Now to find the best price.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KB11 said:

Now if someone would only produce an IM Hastings...  

S&M Models do. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sandm-models-smk72-35-handley-page-hastings--1158584. I don't know about its availability though. 

Thanks. 

I'd like an injection moulded one rather than resin, resin parts are ok but I'm not overly keen on full kits. I have the Historic Wings Vac as I do the Valiant (and a York for that matter) but a nice reedy to build version would be a great addition.

I'd need it in 72nd, to go with the collection, in fact a couple would be useful, one for Berlin and another for Suez. There is nothing wrong with the Historic Wings Vac other than it's a Vac.. Thick plastic mind you.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, KB11 said:

I'd need it in 72nd, to go with the collection, in fact a couple would be useful, one for Berlin and another for Suez. There is nothing wrong with the Historic Wings Vac other than it's a Vac.. Thick plastic mind you.  

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the kit and very nice it is too... This is probably an unnecessary question as they are so small, but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know if replacement 214 squadron crests are available as decals ?  

On 1/9/2022 at 12:38 AM, KB11 said:

I'd need it in 72nd, to go with the collection, in fact a couple would be useful, one for Berlin and another for Suez.

Spoken like a true model maker - good luck with your Valiant.

It's such a small decal it probably doesn't matter. However, dose anyone know if 214 squadron crests are available to replace the 90 squadron decals the kit comes with ? 

Edited by KB11

9 hours ago, KB11 said:

It's such a small decal it probably doesn't matter. However, dose anyone know if 214 squadron crests are available to replace the 90 squadron decals the kit comes with ? 

Not currently. They've appeared in the AIM and Mach 2 B.I kits, the Airfix K/PR conversion kit and Airdecal and KIts at War Valiant decal sheets.

When you've got more than 100 post score you can start an ad in the wanted section asking if anyone's got a spare set.

Edited by Dave Swindell
Added Mach 2 kit - I'd forgotten about it
  • Like 1

I've got the 214 Sqn markings from the conversion kit that you can have. Send your details in a pm and I can send them to you.

I did a quick check on the 214 Sqn markings on Xtradecal's sheet for Victors, but they're a different size.

• Thanks 1