Malta, Malta, Malta - Three Spit V's - Finally last one finished! June 18

I'm working on three 1/48 Spit V's flown in Malta, two Vc's and a Vb.

The painting has started on the three scheme's, all based on the "A" pattern, but all different.

Beurling's  Vc, BR301, UF*S  is in the traditional "A" scheme with an Azure belly, and will now be oversprayed with heavily thinned USN blue-grey,

Buck McNair's Vb AB264, GN*H, is also in an "A" scheme, but with the colors reversed, and a Sky belly. It now needs the Sand oversprayed with  a mixed grey,

and the Vc BP966, T*H, is in the Renfrew pattern Temperate Sea scheme (based on Paul Lucas's research and articles)

(it's a good time to stay in my modelling room, as the temperature outside this morning was -44c with wind chill!  I might stay in here till spring!)

camo 1

... my high tech paint rack!

camo 2

camo 3

Previous build log ...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235100466-triple-148-spitfire-v-build-spit-vb-and-vc-updated-dec-21/

Thanks for looking,

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
more details
  • Like 17

... and more painting done. I redid the Sea scheme as the contrast was too stark, to my mind it's better now.

I'm surprised at how much the USN blue-grey altered the desert scheme. The photos don't do it justice, it's more blueish in real life.

Next will be the chipping and pinwash.

Hopefully when I start wearing away the surface paint, the base coat of sand will be more visible.

camo 5

camo 4

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 13

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Malta, Malta, Malta - Three Spit V's - Jan 12
  • 3 months later...

After being absorbed by other projects, I finally got around to decaling my Malta Spits. (I hate decaling!)

Malta 3 Malta 3 c

"Buck" McNair's Vb ...

GNH

... and a Vc, finished in the 'Renfrew' Sea scheme (as per the Paul Lucas research)

T H 3

T H 1

... now to flat coat and dirty them up a bit!

Colin

• Like 10

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Malta, Malta, Malta - Three Spit V's - April 20th

Hi Colin,

Looking fantastic! I'm approaching the finish line with my own Malta pair. Look forward to the finished result - I'm sure they'll be up to your usual high standard,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've finally got around to finishing the first of the 3, the temperate sea scheme finished BP966, T*H. Now on to the other two...

Build story here ...

Malta Spit build part 1

Spitfire Mk Vc, BP966, was originally manufactured in the desert scheme, then routed to Renfrew, Scotland for shipment to Malta. While there, it was refinished in the temperate sea scheme (as per a misunderstood Malta request), and shipped to Malta on operation Calendar, to serve with 249 Squadron.

T H 4 T H 8

T H 7

T H 6b

T H 10

Hope you like, two more to go!

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 7

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Malta, Malta, Malta - Three Spit V's - Finally one finished! June 02
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Tail-Dragon changed the title to Malta, Malta, Malta - Three Spit V's - Finally another one finished! June 10

I've finally finished the third Malta Spit, 'Buck' McNair's Vb.

GNH 6

GNH 10

The completed trio ...

Complete

... thanks for looking,

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 2

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Malta, Malta, Malta - Three Spit V's - Finally last one finished! June 18