Freester's First GB - Academy 1/72 F/A-18C

Freester

On 2/1/2022 at 10:44 PM, Freester said:

Noob question - how do I stop the paint wearing when I'm handling it?

Touch as little as possible. Use gloves. 
- thats what I do now. And I think it‘s worth it. 

• Like 1

No photos but some progress...

I took myself away from the model for a night or two. Came back. Decided it didn't look two bad after the last rub down and coat of paint. 

So I put a gloss coat on all surfaces and bombs ready for decals. 

A LOT of decals I reckon that's going to be a few sittings to get most of them on...

• Like 2

An update but no pictures. 

A gloss coat was applied - I used Humbrol gloss in a can. It wasn't too bad. I started applying the decals. A few things have occurred to me during this process.

The top of half of the aircraft - the Dark Ghost Grey approximation I used with Revell paints (I think I used Gunship Grey) is too dark.

Applying lo-vis decals, grey decals to grey bodies is difficult when you can't see the decals on the body.

I forgot to put the radome tan colour on the end of the nose.

I'm in a bit of a downer on this one at the moment. I'll walk away and come back in a day or two. 

3 hours ago, Freester said:

Applying lo-vis decals, grey decals to grey bodies is difficult when you can't see the decals on the body.

Yes, it’s fun isn’t it.  Especially those tiny stencilled “2”s (hoisting points).  I have taken the view with some that if they are that hard to see, don’t use ‘em.

Take a break and come back to it with a clear head, it’s meant to be enjoyable after all.

AW

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andwil said:

Yes, it’s fun isn’t it.  Especially those tiny stencilled “2”s (hoisting points).  I have taken the view with some that if they are that hard to see, don’t use ‘em.

Take a break and come back to it with a clear head, it’s meant to be enjoyable after all.

AW

Thank you. I am extremely hard on myself and my own hardest critic. I must stop comparing my noob work to some of the stuff on here that is just fantastic. I had another look at my build last night, objectively. There's a lot I've done good / well. And also plenty to improve. It's when I dwell on the latter I get down about it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freester said:

I must stop comparing my noob work to some of the stuff on here that is just fantastic.

I know what you mean, but:

1) Yours is the one that you'll have the pleasure(?) of seeing on your shelf.

2) I don't think I've ever completed a model and NOT been pleased, even if I knew it wasn't perfect (hey, it happened once 😉 )

3) One I try to keep reminding myself: you don't get gooder at it if you don't DO it!

bob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

Don't give up, you're so close to the finish line. I've been finding it hard muster the motivation to work on my build of the same kit too but watching you has kept me going.

Thank you - means alot. I know we had some discussions early on about the 'iron cross' on a US aircraft however in retrospect I think I would have chosen that one as it's slightly less lower vis - a bit more colourful. The 'Golden Dragons' is probably the least colourful of the 3 options in the kit.

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

I know what you mean, but:

1) Yours is the one that you'll have the pleasure(?) of seeing on your shelf.

2) I don't think I've ever completed a model and NOT been pleased, even if I knew it wasn't perfect (hey, it happened once 😉 )

3) One I try to keep reminding myself: you don't get gooder at it if you don't DO it!

bob

Thank you and I did smile at points 2 and 3 especially.

Well another session of putting grey decals onto a grey aircraft so I can barely see them 🤣

Treated myself with a flourish of colour (forward port and starboard lights). Looks awful with the gloss and the light glare but...

IMG-20220215-200651556-HDR.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Freester said:

in retrospect I think I would have chosen that one as it's slightly less lower vis - a bit more colourful. The 'Golden Dragons' is probably the least colourful of the 3 options in the kit.

I only just got to the primmer stage on my build so I can still decide to change the colour scheme, maybe I should paint it pink with polka dots 😋 

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2022 at 12:31 PM, Freester said:

I had another look at my build last night, objectively. There's a lot I've done good / well. And also plenty to improve.

That's the right attitude mate 👍 good to see 😊

• Like 1