Hawker Typhoon - Monogram 1/48

Classic Monogram kits are always a nostalgia blast for me.  Anyone brought up in Rugby in the 1960s may remember the George Over shop on the west side of the Market Place.  The facade is still there, now merely the front for an identikit shopping mall, but back then it was the entrance to a treasure house for a small boy.  Primarily a stationer and bookshop, upstairs there was also a good modelling section with a selection of the hallowed Monogram kits.  Very occasionally I was allowed to choose one and slowly built up a small collection, all long before I discovered 'paint'.  The first was the Helldiver, full of magic with its retractable undercarriage, folding wings, working bomb release and sliding canopies.  We mock such things today, but then........  They stocked Profile Publications and I was also able to build up a small collection of those, sadly lost in a house move a long time ago.  It was a great shock when the shop closed, because it 'wasn't making any money'!  What, I demanded, did that have to do with it?  I have since wondered whether there was someone in their management who was a modelling enthusiast and set up that part of the shop.

One I never made was the Typhoon, but found a second hand example for £10 on a stand at the Modelkraft show in Milton Keynes a few years ago.  It was the 1995 Revell-Monogram release, moulded in a rather hard dark brown plastic which turned out to be remarkably workable.  It's a simple kit, with nothing to stop it being 'see through' around the radiator moulding, so that was blocked off with a generous fillet of black painted Kristal Klear.  The fit was good, there was little flash and the shape looks right.  It is from the box apart from tape harnesses and is brush painted with Humbrol enamels.  The decals were thick with yellowing backing paper but aftermarket decals for bubble tops are thin on the ground and I wanted this to be a Monogram Typhoon so persevered with them.  The result isn't too bad, from a distance.  In the stash is the Eduard Tempest, which I'm sure will be a very different build experience!

Also a few years ago, I found a reissue of the Monogram Mosquito on a visit to the Mosquito Museum at Salisbury Hall.  The accuracy issues of this kit are now well documented, but when first released it was a sensation.  I couldn't resist it and built it in short order, this time around as a B.IV (rather than an FB.VI - removing the bomber nose was my first attempt at kit surgery) and with 'paint'!

kotbRMHQ_o.jpg

MPGPijQn_o.jpg

gy6wrLbQ_o.jpg

YMTohCKO_o.jpg

caNAnNpQ_o.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good work on the Typhoon. Nice pairing with the Mosquito, which was indeed a much desired kit in its day. Monogram kits were a superior product back in the seventies. Interesting back story that sets me off in the wayback machine. Yes, miss the old magical model shops, many gone and sadly missed, like the evocatively named Model Dockyard, an Aladin's Cave of modelling treasures. Still a few stores hanging on, thank goodness.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and 'likes' 

20 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Lovely , remember getting the FW190 and looking through the box sitting in my dads Vauxhall Cresta

That brought back some memories - the model is long gone but found this..........

70ehKhKz_o.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bryanm said:

That brought back some memories

You can say that again! Along with the Hurricane, Spitfire, Bf-109E, P-40B, and A6M5, those were all enjoyable models to build! My Fw was in the original blue box, as I recall. Those were the days- the sweet aroma of Testors enamels in the little square bottles and Revell Type 'S' cement!

Mike

Probably none of you did this, but in the early sixties I was a bag boy at the base commissary at Dyess AB in Texas, and as soon as I had a couple of bucks in tips, I would rush next door to the base exchange and snag the Monogram kits I had previously hidden among the other kit boxes, as they never seemed to order nearly as many of the Monogram kits as they did of the Revell, Aurora, and Lindberg ones! Sorry for the off-topic comments, but that box brought back so many happy modeling memories!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Probably none of you did this, but in the early sixties I was a bag boy at the base commissary at Dyess AB in Texas, and as soon as I had a couple of bucks in tips, I would rush next door to the base exchange and snag the Monogram kits I had previously hidden among the other kit boxes, as they never seemed to order nearly as many of the Monogram kits as they did of the Revell, Aurora, and Lindberg ones! Sorry for the off-topic comments, but that box brought back so many happy modeling memories!

No apologies needed. Great story. When I was in my late teens and could drive, I used to go to Dibbles Hobby Shop here in San Antonio, now, umpteen years later, the shop is still open and remains ever popular. The Typhoon and the Mosquito are nice build, by the way.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

No apologies needed. Great story. When I was in my late teens and could drive, I used to go to Dibbles Hobby Shop here in San Antonio, now, umpteen years later, the shop is still open and remains ever popular. The Typhoon and the Mosquito are nice build, by the way.

Yep- hung out there almost every Saturday back in the 70-80's. All the local builders would gather at some point during the day, and then move the discussions  to La Azteca Restaurant next door  for mexican food. Those were the days! Still one of the very few LHS still in business, but I do miss dear old Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, the original owners.

Mike

• Like 1

• 6 months later...