Hi folks,

I started this earlier in the week but seem to be making progress quicker than expected. It's a McFarlane action figure of a Necron Flayed One - Game Workshop designs, and they sell them in the GW shops, but they're big vinyl figures. This one's a Flayed One, which is a kind of especially mad Necron obsessed with draping itself in the skins of fleshy organic types, and sticking its giant claws into things.

I started by paring away all the seams with a new scalpel blade, which took a while. Sanding vinyl is a bit of a non-starter but paring seems to look OK without too much clean-up. Filing also works acceptably but you can create a ragged surface if you aren't careful. Luckily this is quite a messy design and there's a lot of detail to hide behind. Once that was done I gave him a bath:

51798132329_bf9cc40d52_b.jpg

And once dry a couple of coats of Alclad Black primer and then a layer of Alclad metals. Steel, Duralumin, Pale Burnt Metal and some shading with Hotmetal Blue.

51796816507_911ca1ce38_b.jpg

I shaded the metals with GW Drakenhof Nightshade, neat on the lower half and diluted on the upper. Then added highlights and tweaks with Scale75 Metal Alchemy using brushes and sponges, and shaded all the grooves and recesses with GW Black Templar. I also added more blue with glazes of thinned Terradon Turquoise on the downward-facing bits and joints. To blend things together I buffed the smoother areas out with a very soft sanding stick.

51802258003_490222fc34_b.jpg

I decided I liked the edge highlights on the ribs so added a lot more before sealing the metallics with a couple of coats of Tamiya LP Pearl Clear.

51803055992_9ec5ab32e1_b.jpg

The pearlescence isn't super-noticeable but it's a good clear coat anyway, and it all adds to the "alien space metal" effect.

The last step to date is some detail painting - I've just done the face and cartouche to more-or-less match my 40K Necrons, but obviously things can be a lot more detailed in the bigger scale>

51806896233_fbba6a33f0_b.jpg

I need to repeat the green on the back armour, and then I can get to the fun stuff (skin!) as well as painting all the little mechanical details and adding some heavy weathering.

I think I'm going to set the joints with CA, so I can glue him to a base, but I haven't decided on either a pose or a base theme yet.

Cheers, and Happy New Year to all :)

Will

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

He looks great Will. Nice work on the metallics.

I've yet to see any of the McFarlane GW figures in the flesh, but they look to be well designed. GW really seem to be pushing the franchise at the moment, what with these and the crazy-expensive Bandai figures.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

Thanks folks :)

12 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

I've yet to see any of the McFarlane GW figures in the flesh, but they look to be well designed. GW really seem to be pushing the franchise at the moment, what with these and the crazy-expensive Bandai figures.

Yeah they seem to be doing any possible license they can. I think the McFarlane figures look slightly off, especially the Sisters of Battle, perhaps because their joints are so obvious. The marines are *massive* weighty things and quite nicely done. This one is skinny but looks a lot better out of the box than in it! And they all have the advantage of being cheap - in the UK they're 25 quid, here they're 50NZD which is well under the usual GW currency/shipping mark-up.

The Bandai stuff is very poseable and crisp compared to the vinyl ones, but way too expensive and you had to order sight unseen IIRC. I actually really like the look of the Joytoy figures though:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/05/joytoy-wave-two-stomps-into-action-with-the-invictor-warsuit-and-a-hero-who-will-blow-your-mind/

but again, expensive! 

Also for Pete here's more bath-time action - I was trying to get that shot from The Witcher but it's not quite working...

51798132564_a45d534802_b.jpg

Will

• Haha 6

That would be a different take for sure!

I did a bit more last weekend but then was straight back into work and haven't had time to post, so catching up with that now.

51810704863_f6428e48bf_b.jpg

I painted up the carapace following the same recipe as the cartouche, but a bit brighter, and roughed in the skin. It had a thin coat of Flayed One Flesh on each piece (I felt I had to use that colour!) which looked really patchy and showed some of the steel through, but after washing with various contrast flesh/grey mixes I think it's ended up a decent base. The skin on the shoulders has had some glazes and highlights and things, the skin on the face I'm still working on.

51810593566_9770aed90a_b.jpg

I really like the idea of the eye glow shining through the skin like a torch through a closed fist, but I don't think it's quite right yet.

51809640507_5b53bbf2cc_b.jpg

Sadly nothing further has happened this week but I might have a little bit of time today (Sunday) so we'll see about that later.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I stole an hour to paint yesterday and was able to refine the glow a bit and finish the basic skin colours.

51830522832_7253cf7748_b.jpg

I tried to brighten the half-occluded eye a bit, and added a trompe l'oeil inner edge to the skin that sits over it, since it's moulded to avoid an undercut. I think that's a bit better, it's still hard to get the relative brightness of things right though. I "highlighted" the outer skin edge darker too, since the light has further to travel to get there, and I think it looks more like a translucent material?

51831471401_cc5d841c2d_b.jpg

I also got a couple of coats of Dullcote onto all the brush painted areas. I'll probably bring the skin sheen back up a little bit with Contrast Medium to distinguish it from the armour, but that's still to come.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry, missed this! I've seen them but wasn't really tempted. They're a little bit "thin" if you know what I mean? I think it's to do with the process of making realistically-proportioned characters from the very unrealistic 32mm proportions. Nice details though. And the joints are pretty obvious so if that bothers you you'd need to fill them.

The Necron is mostly harder vinyl, the skin is the only flexible stuff. For the Battle Sister I think quite a lot of her clothing is flexible? But so far I haven't had any problems with paint cracking or anything like that. It's not like it's flapping around, but you can bend it if you want to.

I've just bought the Ymgarl Genestealer which is *awesome*. Nice and chunky and lots of texture so should be easy to paint, although there's a good bit of work required to fill the joints and blend some of the segments together.

(It's this guy, but less smol!)

27545879504_a175d4ab73_b.jpg

NB: I'm meaning to get back to this but distracted by T'au at the moment.

Will

• Like 4