Hawker Hunter F.6

This was a bit of a speed build for me, 10 days.   I had just finished an Italeri F-86 and then saw this Hunter on my shelf.  It's from the same early-jet era and I realised that I have never built a Hunter before even though it is my favourite jet aesthetically.

It is the newish 1-48 Airfix kit, out of the box, kit decals, Tamiya acrylics on top and Tamiya Gloss Aluminium on the undersides.  The upper camo has freehand demarcations, perhaps they should be hard edged in this scale but the few photos I saw show they were sprayed full scale.  Besides, I like the look and challenge of freehand airbrushing, it also saves time.

The kit went together very well with excellent fit all around and no filler.  Details look good to me except I think Airfix could have improved the tailpipe and the nose gear, which looks like it melted.   The decals were very nicely printed and easy to apply but I still haven't figured out a good decal solution for these Airfix ones. Microset and Sol seem too weak and Mr Mark Softer a bit too strong- I wrecked an underside roundel and a placard on a fuel tank.  - Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.  BTW I did not even try to apply all of the stencils, they looked like too many for me to enjoy and hey it's all about enjoying yourself isn't it?

Again - any recommendations for a good decal solution would be appreciated.

Cheers!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 60
  • Thanks 3

Very smart indeed! It’s nice to see it built with the kit decals too, as I don’t think any of mine will be, too many other options! But it does look really nice and your paintwork is very smooth. Good demarcation line too, not easy with silver.

• Thanks 1

Looks lovely Bill and every inch a Hunter to me,...... many did have soft edged camouflage mate,.... so it is accurate,...... although many of them also had hard edged camo too. I have built one as an F.4 with the straight wing leading edge but it needed so much filler where the wings are altered that I put it back in the box,..... it will hopefully be a 112 Sqn one with a sharkmouth some day.

• Thanks 1

Very nice......Great to see one finished with the kit supplied decals. As has been previously stated, there are so many aftermarket options but I really like this scheme too.  

Well Done, Sir !

• Thanks 1

That looks fantastic, lovely Hunter. I know what you mean, several of my recent builds have stalled when I have lost the will halfway through the stencilling stage! I think I’ll leave most of them off next time, you’re right, it’s about enjoying the hobby.

• Thanks 1