PK-23 Tempest II prototype? - RAF Chakeri, India

Hey folks! 

Been thinking of a subject to build (given that i ordered a small boatload of the new KP kit :D) and this subject caught my eye: PR527 of Research and development flight out of RAF Chakeri/Uttar Pradesh in India.

Photo-Album08.jpg

download.jpg

2.jpg

sadly i havent found any larger images, references or other material :( looking at a profile though, i think the camo is SEAC colours rather than the temperate scheme (due to white serial) - so i modified a profile below:

Chakeri-Tempest.jpg

so far, i have ....  .a matchbox kit 😅

1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• Rabbit Leader changed the title to PK-23 Tempest II prototype? - RAF Chakeri, India

Once again Matchbox's superb little Tempest is proving to be a very popular kit. I do like that choice of scheme, that will look very nice whichever way you decide to go. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 21:57, bigbadbadge said:

Looking forward to seeing this build up, what are you going to use for the front end ?

Good luck with your build.

Chris

for ordinance? im not sure yet! if the dodgy front nose.....well i used a simple brace, and sanded and filed away! 😆

IMG-20220111-140517.jpg

...until i gor the following :D

IMG-20220111-140646.jpg

also started scratchbuilding a cockpit from spares, not the most accurate, but shoudl do the job :) 

IMG-20220111-135517.jpg

IMG-20220111-135536.jpg

IMG-20220111-135630.jpg

On the subject of noses....I also made a F.6 radiator :D

IMG-20220111-141535.jpg

Edited by Modelraynz
  • Like 8

Really nice start and those enhancements are excellent and will lift this good kit to much higher levels. When I was doing the research for my old build, I noticed a vertical split that went through the radiator aperture. A simple piece of plastic strip was all I used. 

Cheers.. Dave 

38202285102_8929567145_b.jpg

• Like 5

A good call Ray. I built one of these as the original Mk II prototype in the last MB GB. Too late I realized the kit is amiss in the shape of the front of the engine cowl. I did try to round it off & give it some more taper, alas, not enough.

DSCF2842

See how you go.

Steve.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Really nice start and those enhancements are excellent and will lift this good kit to much higher levels. When I was doing the research for my old build, I noticed a vertical split that went through the radiator aperture. A simple piece of plastic strip was all I used. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hiya Dave!

ive looked at your build many times for inspiration/guidance on correcting the matchbox kit :D🤩

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ahh I see  I didn't realise you got both options in the kit  sorry. Looking good though especially with your extra added details 

Chris

all good mate, cheers!

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A good call Ray. I built one of these as the original Mk II in the last MB GB. Too late I realized the kit is amiss in the shape of the front of the engine cowl. I did try to round it off & give it some more taper, alas, not enough.

See how you go.

Steve.

nice build! funnily i came across it when researching and went "oh crap"   - when noticing the different tail! luckily my subject seems to be a standard one :D

I ended up using old academy tempest instrument panels....aaaannd scratching a second cockpit (trying to decide on how best to do the slanted part of the instrument panel)

IMG-20220112-131853.jpg

• Like 8

On 1/7/2022 at 8:40 PM, Modelraynz said:

Hey folks! 

Been thinking of a subject to build (given that i ordered a small boatload of the new KP kit :D) and this subject caught my eye: PR527 of Research and development flight out of RAF Chakeri/Uttar Pradesh in India.

Photo-Album08.jpg

download.jpg

2.jpg

sadly i havent found any larger images, references or other material :( looking at a profile though, i think the camo is SEAC colours rather than the temperate scheme (due to white serial) - so i modified a profile below:

Chakeri-Tempest.jpg

so far, i have ....  .a matchbox kit 😅

1.jpg

Oh wow thanks for this… I’ve been racking my brain as to how I was going to finish my Mk.II. Mind if I do one of these schemes ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oh wow thanks for this… I’ve been racking my brain as to how I was going to finish my Mk.II. Mind if I do one of these schemes ? 

Not at all! :D TBH when digging through my decal stash i found some special hobby IAF/PAF markings that are temping a subject change!

Edited by Modelraynz
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

any advice for the cockpit colour?

looking on BM seems black overall (with tempest V being upper black, lower grey/green?)

Although I painted my cockpit all grey green, I'm pretty sure Tempest cockpits were mainly painted black with small segments of grey-green side walls. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• 2 months later...