Tamiya 1:35 Land Rover SAS - standard road wheels availability?

bootneck

I have started a build to make the Tamiya SAS Land Rover as a normal series II in the airportable role, with the top down etc.  Does anyone know if I can get standard Land Rover road wheels that would fit the Tamiya kit? 

spacer.png

I have tried to use wheels from an Italeri LWB but they don't match the connection to the Tamiya wheel hubs.

cheers,

Mike

14 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

IIRC the Tamiya Land Rover Ambulance kit shares a common chassis and has standard chunky tyres.

Hello Ant, is it still available nowadays?  I thought that one was OOP.

13 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

Accurate Armour do a range of Landrover wheels - https://accurate-armour.com/aa-products/135th-land-rover-products

Thanks for the link John, I shall check them out to see if any fit the Tamiya kit

cheers,
Mike

Accurate Armour LRA005 will work.  Whether they will fit is another question as they come from AA's own S3 kit.  FCM do a set to fit the Italeri S3, but they have a mixed reputation and cost more than the AA.  BSM did some nice ones, now taken over by Minor Models.  In fact Minor picked up the whole BSM Landy line.  Other stuff in there that might be useful to you, like the S3 detail set.  https://www.minor-web.com/BSM.html

You'll have to go overseas to get the Minor/BSM stuff.  No UK seller.

Thanks, I have ordered that set of wheels, as the description says they fit the Tamiya Ambulance kit.  I am hoping that the ambulance and SAS kits had the same axle/hub connection fits.

A quick glance at the Minor stuff looks good but, to be honest, I don't have the funds to be laying out on international shipping and VAT any more.  I'll stick with local supply.

cheers,
Mike

20 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I am hoping that the ambulance and SAS kits had the same axle/hub connection fits.

I think both kits use a common "Sprue A" which includes all the chassis and axle/drivetrain components. 

3 hours ago, bootneck said:

I don't have the funds to be laying out on international shipping and VAT any more.  I'll stick with local supply.

cheers,

There's a lot of stuff that enterprising UK sellers might take on that isn't available here and is now much harder to get from overseas - especially as the £15 minimum value limit for VAT is gone and Royal Mail charge you about £10 to collect VAT of any value.

If you are doing pinkie standard road wheels/tyres the issue that crops up is that they ran on larger tyres than standard land rovers .normal military bar grips tyres were 750. However pinkies ran on 900s either Bar grip or desert type .

No, I am building a standard series 2 but using the SAS kit, mainly as I got it cheap.   I can remove all the SAS/desert impedimenta to get to a normal LR but, as you mention, the desert wheels are too large; therefore, I was trying to find standard road wheels for British and European roads etc.

cheers

Mike

On 14/01/2022 at 04:17, Das Abteilung said:

You might want to look at this Firing Line detail set currently on eBay.  The seller has some other items including a hard-top conversion.  Not sure if these are still available new.  I think you get Firing Line from DJ Parkins.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284607239698?hash=item4243e9d612:g:vzwAAOSwfGph4BuT

Thanks, I shall have a look at DJ Parkins.  I don't go to or use any sites that deal in bidding; I'm not going waste time  and effort on something that people want to extract the most out of us.  I want see a set price and if I can afford that then I shall buy it.   It is another shout out for the benefits, and value, of our BM's Sales, Trades and Wants section; especially there for us modellers.

cheers,

Mike

22 hours ago, bootneck said:

No, I am building a standard series 2 but using the SAS kit, mainly as I got it cheap.   I can remove all the SAS/desert impedimenta to get to a normal LR but, as you mention, the desert wheels are too large; therefore, I was trying to find standard road wheels for British an European roads etc.

cheers

Mike

No worries mate accurate armour probably do the best set of replacement wheel . That aside do you want a set of Parkinson’s wheels ? 

Sorry, I missed your response and offer, somehow.  Thank you for sending me a pm, to which I would be grateful to get hold of a set; thank you. :thumbsup:

cheers,
Mike