Hasegawa F/A-18A Adversary COMPLETED 03/04/2022

Evil_Toast_RSA

Here's my entry, an old school legacy Hornet from 20 odd years ago. 

20220107_222440

Will be giving the box art machine a bash. Going to use the mixes suggested in the instructions, but I found the FS numbers (I think) during some online browsing for anyone curious (from light to dark):

FS 30279

FS 30219

FS 30140

20220107_222554

Box contents. Not worked with white metal in years! A small PE fret is included for the instrument panel, HUD, wheel bay wiring and ladder I think. 

I do have an Eduard masking sheet on its way to me, due sometime before the universe suffers heat death. My Hasegawa weapon sets will be here sooner, the kit only includes drop tanks. Hasegawa ❤️ ...

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Title
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

A great choice, nice to have another adversary painted aircraft in the GB and in a splinter scheme too.

Have you ordered the weapons set for this aircraft as they weren't usually seen with much other than ACMI pods or inert AIM-9's.

Picked up a C & D set 2nd hand recently, have a few Hasegawa kits that need pointy explodey thingies so thought why not. Still need the JASDF one for a F-2, but I'm not expecting to run into one here ever. 

• Like 1

Small update. Cockpit assembled and primed, exhausts primed and intakes assembled. A bit surprised there's nothing behind the intakes included though. But I have a cunning plan...

20220109_211531

Took the resin seat out, chopped off the casting block and gave it a quick fit, which it does nicely. Took a look at what I need to do for the PE belts and decided I should save that for a day when I'm a bit more focused. 

• Like 7

Been slowly cracking on, high summer here so nights are spent in mid 20°C with 85%+ humidity weather (if your lucky) with the fan going full pelt. It's a bit sticky...

20220115_175629

Cockpit done, need to glue and attach the fuselage halves. Dry fitting has shown a potential fit issue around the cockpit area. Some futzing with sandpaper will be required. 

20220115_175647

Added some plasticard tabs to the rear, definitely something to help with attaching the side intake panel setup Hasegawa went with, as well as the fuselage halves. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice!

Not quite as humid here, heat wise it's been quite cool, no 40C days yet!

Are you guys in Fourecks having strange weather? Here at the southern end of Howondaland we had a really rubbish December. Only a few days got over 30°C, normally its 30°C at 7 AM on my way to work every day. Hell, last week was the longest stretch of sunny days we had, and it got to 28°C tops. Humidity is still high, 87% Friday :x.

yeah summer here has been quite different, started off really wet!.

Blaming it on climate change...all those rotten electric cars are stuff up the planet..... long live the V8!!   :D

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

long live the V8!!   :D

I remember watching a documentary about a normal day in Oz a few years back, you guys do like your muscle cars. Think the documentaries name was "Fury Road" or something? 

• Haha 2

On 1/15/2022 at 4:11 PM, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Added some plasticard tabs to the rear, definitely something to help with attaching the side intake panel setup Hasegawa went with, as well as the fuselage halves.

I’ve just added some tabs there on my build as it’s a great idea and I imagine almost essential.

Just one thing it might be worth checking before sealing up the fuselage is that the tab for the tail fins don’t foul with the forward tabs you’ve placed. They probably don’t but on mine I felt that it was quite close.

edit: looking again more closely I think you’re fine.

@Filler I did check that the plasticard wouldn't cause problems when it came time to put the tail planes in, and unless they come with unusually deep tongues for the groove, I should be fine. Frantically touches all the wood within reach.....

I did have to pare them down though, they interfered with the natural curve a bit and caused some fit problems during the fuselage dry fitting.   

• Like 1

There was me warning you and in the end it’s me that needs to go and check. Thanks for the heads up on watching the curve of the other fuselage part.

It’s a really nice kit, but this area of the construction certainly needs a bit of extra attention. I’m also a bit concerned about the underside of the LERX. From rough dry fitting it looks like using filler is going to be unavoidable.

25 minutes ago, Filler said:

I’m also a bit concerned about the underside of the LERX. From rough dry fitting it looks like using filler is going to be unavoidable.

Yup, your going to need some filler of choice, finished sanding and re-scribing mine last night, apart from 2 little scriber slips I needed to finish patching/sanding.

Something else I found, you might have to clamp the front upper fuselage section forward of the HUD in a diagonal downward angle to get a gap free fit with the bottom section, there seems to be a slight upwards warp in the top fuselage LERX section. Hope this makes sense? If not, will try upload a pic tonight to explain. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Added info
  • Thanks 1

Not much to add, slowly plodding along with the build, sanding and filling mostly. 

But, the intakes, and the lack of anything behind them. Very strange choice from Hasegawa. Everything looks like some effort was put into it, but this feels like a Friday afternoon effort.

My solution, cutting off the ends of some plastic disposable pippettes, painting white and black at the bottom to simulate depth. Won't stand up to close scrutiny but eh, what can you do. 

20220121_212656

What it looks like from the front. 

20220121_212711

• Like 8

That’s a great bit of work. I’ve had problems with an I’ll fitting set of resin intakes on mine. Apart from being a lot  shorter than the real thing, they just did not fit well. A lot of time was wasted and in the end I’ve spliced them with the kit parts.

And although it is good to improve on Hasegawa’s none effort, it is certainly fair to say that the intakes on the Hornet are small and well hidden from normal view.

I’ll definitely use your solution when I build my B model.

• Thanks 1

Finally gotten the last problem child attached (intakes), now it's smooth sailing I hope! Going to clean up all my little slips from the panel line neatening I did (used a CMK saw mostly), the intakes area putty work, attach flaps and start looking at polishing the seam from the canopy I think I remember being there. 

Nearly time to start slapping paint around! 

20220123_232600

• Like 6