Recapturing my innocence with the help of a Matchbox Meteor

Nice progress JRK. There's many threads and words penned about RAF Dark Green, however as long as you're having fun putting this together, that's all that counts. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

There's many threads and words penned about RAF Dark Green

Oh yes, many words indeed.  If I wasn't making this build as hard as humanly possible for myself I'd just airbrush the damned thing with Colourcoats Dark Green and be done with it.  I'm definitely questioning my choices!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some more small progress; I've got a gloss coat on and have also done some black detailing around the air intakes.  Hopefully I can get some decals on next, assuming they're in as decent condition as they look, of course.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 7

I love this stage of a model, all glossed up waiting for decals. Once the stickers go on, it changes the look all over again. Looking really good JKR. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The battle of the 35-year old decals commences:

spacer.png

This is the carnage of carrier-film after applying seven decals.  I thought these decals would be difficult and for once I was right; still, there are a few decals and only one has been much trouble so far.  I'm going very slowly indeed in order to ensure that I don't wreck things.

spacer.png

Not perfect, but at least we're getting decals on her.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 4

Hi JRK,

I almost certainly have a couple of spare sheets of decs - my ones in an Xtrakit boxing disintegrated and Hannants sent me 3 sheets. I used MS Liquid Decal Film and that held most of the big ones together just about - it's the long thin ones like the walkway stripes that are worst and I ended up using black line decs from a generic sheet for most of mine. If you need any replacements PM me and I will see what I have got.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@PeterB, thanks very much for your very kind offer.  So far, though, things are going well.  I have all of the main decals on now and also most of the stencilling (such as it is).  Hopefully a bit of Micro Sol will have everything sorted before a final gloss coat.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

The decals are now done:

spacer.png

Since the picture was taken I've sealed the decals in under another coat of gloss and I have to say I'm tempted to keep it that way, as the model is looking nice.  I have found a picture of similar aircraft in a gloss / high-satin finish, so I might indulge myself.

There are a few bits left to paint and then fit, but the majority of the work is now done.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 6

Agree JRK, thats looking really good and the decals have gone on well enough from what I can tell. A finished Matchbox kit is always a good Matchbox kit and this one just adds to that by the bucket load. 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Agree JRK, thats looking really good and the decals have gone on well enough from what I can tell. A finished Matchbox kit is always a good Matchbox kit and this one just adds to that by the bucket load. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, we’re getting there now. I need to paint the gear and delicate bits next, and hopefully I can get that done over the next few days. 

• Like 1

Well, we're nearly there.  As a result of being in Cardiff yesterday watching this, I didn't get anything done on the Meteor:

spacer.png

However, this morning I matt coated the Meteor and finished painting the undercarriage components, so we might actually get finished tomorrow.  Here she is as she stands:

spacer.png

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 5

Nearly there....  Just waiting for the abomination of an undercarriage to stick on in some fashion or other.  So far it's taken three hours and the lack of any sort of locating system is starting to seriously grind my gears.

• Sad 1

Lost my rag with the undercarriage and decided to pull the legs off it and go for a pilotless in-flight pose.  The undercarriage really was that poor; I've got enough stress in my life at the moment without it, so the decision was made!

So, here she is in all her finished glory:

spacer.png

In all honesty I didn't enjoy the build as much as I hoped I would.  The kit was quite frankly rubbish and this took a lot of the fun out of it for me.  I did, however, enjoy revisiting a kit that I build back when thesauruses ruled the Earth, and there's no denying that the Meteor in this guise is a very pretty airframe indeed, so I may well have to revisit the subject (if not the kit - perhaps Special Hobby can help?) again in the future.  Assuming another kit can be had of better quality I would love to airbrush the finish on, which would allow me to use my preferred paints as opposed to some frankly dog-rough Humbrol offerings.

Thanks to everyone who has followed the build and offered advice and support along the way; I'll post her in the GB gallery shortly.  Thanks also again to Mr Warburton, the man who started this off for me more than thirty years ago.  Also huge thanks to @JOCKNEY and @Rabbit Leader for hosting the GB - I'm blaming a good percentage of my ever-greying hair on you two!

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

It looks good, certainly it doesn't show the grief it gave you. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.  I'm debating what to follow the build with.  Something simple, I reckon.  Something that doesn't require my own bodyweight in filler.  I'm thinking perhaps the 1/72 Airfix Stuka.

• Like 1

I've built/am building some older kits recently & am beginning to think they're not all the fun they're cracked up to be. That said, I do get some perverse satisfaction from them, though the SH Dornier 27 I built last year for the high wing GB was by far the most pleasant build of the year. It fit beautifully.

Steve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've built/am building some older kits recently & am beginning to think they're not all the fun they're cracked up to be.

Absolutely - the Harrier I am working on has given me a nervous twitch!

Nice result with the Meatbox 🙂.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Damn this dust in my eyes which has caused them to water so much.

What a beautiful back story you've told and hats off to Mr Warburton for his inspiration.

You've done a fantastic job with your Meteor and I'm sure that Mr Warburton would be impressed with it.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

An excellent finish to a great thread JRK. We have thoroughly enjoyed watching this come together and the finished product is one to be proud of. I do agree that sometimes we really do look at these old kits through rose tinted glasses, however there’s no denying they bring back plenty of nostalgic memories, despite the frustration they can cause. It might be time to crack open that Tamiya kit! 
Cheers, thanks and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cngaero said:

Damn this dust in my eyes which has caused them to water so much.

What a beautiful back story you've told and hats off to Mr Warburton for his inspiration.

You've done a fantastic job with your Meteor and I'm sure that Mr Warburton would be impressed with it.

Chris.

I read this & thought, what did I miss at the beginning, truth is, I missed the beginning & a rather nice one it was, hence the scattering of random likes. I had a teacher in my latter primary years, ages 7 & 9, had him for two years, Mr Ching, who was in training for the FAA in the British Pacific Fleet when it all ended. He was as impressed as heck that I knew what a Hellcat was, I think it was adverts for Aurora models? in the Look & Learn mag we got as kids. Amazing what those early experiences lead to. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

@Jinxman, @wimbledon99, @cngaero, @Rabbit Leader and @stevehnz, thanks very much for your kind comments.  I'm pleased to have wrestled the old girl into some sort of recognisable shapes. build issues notwithstanding!  Truth to tell, I've been surprised by the level of reaction that the backstory has garnered - sometimes a small action or event can have widespread ripples, I suppose.

• Like 3