PK127 DHC-6 Twin Otter Brymon Airways

I never got to fly in one - only Dash 7 and Dash 8 - but I used to work in buildings under the approach and circuit at Plymouth (Roborough) Airport so I just have to do this.

Not sure what the boxing was as I got the kit in a shed clearance bundle and it didn't have box or instructions. Plenty of AM from Aerocraft models and decals and masks from Two-Six.

spacer.png

• Like 12

Goody! Yet another Twin Otter. We could almost make a Squadron of them now! Aren't the Aerocraft bits great? I am looking forward to seeing yours progress.

All the best with it,

Ray

• Like 1

Brymon...... Excellent choice!! 

This is going to look smart. I finished mine in the Scillies Skybus "25 years" livery from 26decals for the High Wing group build, and well pleased with it. 

If you HAVE got metal uc parts, make use of them! The kit plastic stub axles struggle to cope with the twisting. 

Good luck 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, psdavidson said:

Do I detect the cast U/C in one of the bags? Looking forward to seeing how it goes together.

Yes, Aerocraft metal u/c - a bit of "sprue" to file away and mould marks to polish out but I doubt I could get the plastic parts off the sprue without breaking them!

spacer.png

• Like 3

Got to love a Twitter or six… I probably should go back and collect some stats for most popular Matchbox subject so far, this and the Hawker Fury are both up there so they are obviously highly ranked kits. Being an airline employee all my working life, I probably should get myself one of these kits too! 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @rossm

How are you getting on mate ?

It's not like you to be not building and residing on the last page of the build threads, I hope everything is OK.

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Yes, going a bit slow. My ex-partner passed away in January but I was still named as an executor so I've a house, the contents, and a load of paperwork to sort out, not helped by the other executor now living in the USA.

I have managed a bit of work on the Twotter - attaching the sponsons which was hard going as the mouldings seem to have suffered a bit and the mating surfaces needed a lot of work. Hopefully I'll get some filler on tonight and maybe post a photo.

I've also test fitted the bits of the cockpit area correction set and decided there's too much risk of causing a long delay so I shan't be using that. I don't think it's too difficult, just more than I want to take on for this build.

I've dropped out of the MiG-21 STGB to concentrate on this and the Lightning T55.

Hope Mrs. Jockney is now back on form and the family survived your cooking,

Cheers,

Ross

• Like 5

Thanks Ross

Really sorry to hear about your ex partner passing away, my sister and I are trying to deal with my mums affairs after she passed away in September,  thankfully she in the UK but I fully appreciate how much time everything seems to take !

Delighted to hear your twotter isn't being ignored and yes no children or animals were harmed as a result of my cooking which is always a bonus !

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

So I had another look at this tonight and picked up a sprue which had some sponsons on it. The kit has two sets of sponsons - who knew?!?!? One set is for the floats and the other for wheel or ski u/c. In the immortal words of the Bard (assuming he was a modeller) "When in doubt read the instructions.". Well I wasn't in any doubt so I have now found I attached the wrong set.

Having cut the wrong ones off it looks like the correct ones are slightly larger but line up differently at the rear so they cover some of the damage but not all.

Looking for another opportunity to make a right royal pigs ear of things I've taken the wings off the sprue and it looks like either they are identically warped or they are moulded with some droop at the outboard ends. Has anyone else seen this?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Ross

I hope you are well and that the "to do" list as far as your executor duties is concerned is reducing. 

If you have had a chance to return to your Twin Otter it would be great to hear from you.

Cheers Pat

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Ross

I hope you are well and that the "to do" list as far as your executor duties is concerned is reducing. 

If you have had a chance to return to your Twin Otter it would be great to hear from you.

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat, workload is still onerous, the house is now almost clear and will go on the market as a project next week but the inheritance tax forms are still waiting. Such modelling time as there is goes on HMS Duke of York,

Cheers,

Ross

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1