PK-801 Boeing 747 British Airways [FINISHED]

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great progress Mike, she's looking very Jumbo like. I've recently mixed up a solution of sprue goo and have to say it goes on quite well and hides all the seams I manage to make. Needs a bit of sanding, but that's OK we are more than used to that! 

Cheers.. Dave 

I need to experiment more with that.  I do have some made up in a Tamiya Extra Thin pot but I wind up with it either too thin and the cement is too hot for the plastic or it’s too thick and I wind up with strings of the stuff all over the place.  I remember watching a vid of Phil Flory using it on a fuselage join and made short work of it.

The Mr Dissolved Putty has done the trick for the most part but that all seemed like way too much work on a small model.  That said, I’ll just use that in future.  

Now just waiting on some decent weather so I can do the wings.  On the third storm in a week but this one seems to be nameless.  

Mike

• Like 1

The mini Queen has finally hit the paint shop!

20220203_152207

Does anyone know how long Halfords Racking Grey takes to cure before I can safely apply masking tape?  Appliance White always seemed to take a couple of weeks and was prone to reacting with the Tamiya tape if I left it on too long.

The stand is also primed although it’ll need a little work and we are set for days of rain.  Getting there though!

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Nearing the final stages…

Wings are done save for a slight touch up.  Just need to spray the fuselage and the engines, gloss and apply the decals.

Speaking of the engines…

They are what lets this kit down.  The fuselage halves don’t exactly line up well but the engine halves are something else.  Fair amount of work to get them looking respectable but certainly do-able with plenty patience, some filler and sanding sticks.

The stand is also pretty much done.  I used boiling water and a tin of beans to help shape the acrylic rod.  Think I’m going to cut it down a little and add a touch more curve to it so the Jumbo is tilting up towards the sky.

Paint on the stand is Halfords BMW Midnight Blue II.  Looks great in real life and dries in no time at all.

I’m hoping to have this wrapped up by next weekend.  My plan….  (Oh dear - cursed myself with that one I’m sure! 😳) Err, my plan is to have this and my 727 in the ‘paintshop at the same time.  Don’t mind the painting, it’s the setup and cleaning the airbrush afterwards.  Might as well do it as a batch.

Anyways, feel free to completely ignore my talk of plans and dates. I know I do!

20220320_163024

20220320_163035

20220320_163050

20220320_163111

• Like 10

I only just discovered this thread. Airliners aren't my thing, I'm not sure if I remember ever seeing Matchbox Airliners in the shops.

The historic research on this 747 was interesting. 

After the Icelandic volcano closed the skies, I eventually got back to work in Riyadh on a Saudia 747 out of Gatwick. Only 30 of us aboard it!

I hope this one turns out as nicely as that doomed Air Canada model.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I only just discovered this thread. Airliners aren't my thing, I'm not sure if I remember ever seeing Matchbox Airliners in the shops.

The historic research on this 747 was interesting. 

After the Icelandic volcano closed the skies, I eventually got back to work in Riyadh on a Saudia 747 out of Gatwick. Only 30 of us aboard it!

I hope this one turns out as nicely as that doomed Air Canada model.

Ah, remember that volcano story well.  Vaguely remember the actual name, though I better remember newscasters trying their best to pronounce it correctly!

My only worry about this build is the decals.  I’m going to give them a coat of Microscale Decal Film and see how I get on.

Worst case scenario is that the decals fall apart and I have to spray the plane white and pick up the Revell boxing for the Air Canada decals.  

I just picked up an Airfix QE2 and the decals still look useable even though they are 50 odd years old so I’m optimistic.

Famous last words?  We shall see!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This is taking a little longer than I initially planned.  My time to get all the airbrush stuff out, paint and clean up is pretty limited as I don’t have a dedicated room to leave everything set up and I don’t want to be spraying when family is around.

so, I thought it best to get a few models up to the painting stage and do it all together and am now surrounded by dozens of parts for various models attached to bamboo sticks! I think I’ll stick to doing no more than two at a time!!!

But, I am nearly there with this 747 and my 727.  Couple of minor touch ups, gloss coat and decals and it’s done.

Here she is as it stands…

20220504_210811

20220504_210829

Edit:

Juast panicked looking at that second pic.  Thought the paintwork was damaged on the wing near the top.  Just light reflecting off the glossy paint!

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Currently in decal hell with this build.

I applied a coat of Microscale decal film to both the 747 and 727 decal sheets and on both sheets the blue ink (and just the blue ink) smudged.  That should have been a warning.  After two coats as instructed I went to apply the tail decal and it fell apart immediately.

I did, however, scan the decals before faffing with them so we’ll see how we get on with the home made variety.  Currently editing them with Gimp as some will need to be printed on transparent paper.

Arghhh!!!

20220520_134745

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

First homemade decal went on ok.

I used Halfords clear lacquer and the stuff has worked brilliantly. Can’t fault it at all.

For the fed stripe down the fuselage I tried to use the original decals which now had 5 coats of Halfords clear, two coats of Microscale decal film and two coats of Rust-Oleum Clear (which is rubbish).  Not only did the decal still fall apart but what I did get on the model became invisible against the blue!  So, even if they had held together I still would have run into trouble.

I’m about to try my homemade ones but I suspect they too will be too translucent to use.

My only option then will be to carefully mask and spray the stripe.

Extremely frustrating as I thought this would be a quick, fun build.  On the other hand I’m learning some new skills!

2022-05-23_04-59-52

Edit:

Looks like I’m masking and spraying the stripe. Wish me luck!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

First homemade decal went on ok.

I used Halfords clear lacquer and the stuff has worked brilliantly. Can’t fault it at all.

For the fed stripe down the fuselage I tried to use the original decals which now had 5 coats of Halfords clear, two coats of Microscale decal film and two coats of Rust-Oleum Clear (which is rubbish).  Not only did the decal still fall apart but what I did get on the model became invisible against the blue!  So, even if they had held together I still would have run into trouble.

I’m about to try my homemade ones but I suspect they too will be too translucent to use.

My only option then will be to carefully mask and spray the stripe.

Extremely frustrating as I thought this would be a quick, fun build.  On the other hand I’m learning some new skills!

2022-05-23_04-59-52

Edit:

Looks like I’m masking and spraying the stripe. Wish me luck!

When I am making coloured/white decs I often use white decal paper as my printer cannot produce good solid colours on clear paper. Might be worth a try for your stripe etc.

Pete

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PeterB said:

When I am making coloured/white decs I often use white decal paper as my printer cannot produce good solid colours on clear paper. Might be worth a try for your stripe etc.

Pete

I’ve printed the decals onto white and clear paper to pick and choose what works best.  Should work out for most of the decals.

Biggest issue with this stripe is that it’s half a millimetre wide.  I have to trim right up to the red so the white doesn’t show.  It becomes too fragile to use.

A few more coats of clear and cutting into smaller sections may have worked thinking about it…

• Like 2

All the decals are on.  The Inkjet decals worked well and went on without issue.  The only area I had trouble with (Aside from the red stripe mentioned in earlier posts) was the white surround of the doors.  No feasible way of replicating it so it’ll have to do in that regard.  Also, there are five doors on each side.  Oddly, Matchbox only provide enough for four on each side.  Just a dreadful set of decals all round!

The one decal from the original sheet that did work was the “Coniston Water” name.  Quite pleased with that!

Just need to finish the engines and she’s done!

2022-05-28_03-17-58

• Like 8

• BluesModeller changed the title to PK-801 Boeing 747 British Airways [FINISHED]

Well, this one fought me to the end!

The final gloss coat to seal the decals in went cloudy.  I think it reacted with the decal solvents.  Really thought I’d ruined it at the final stage, but thankfully a few extra coats seems to have fixed it.  I also snapped off one of the pointy bits on the wing tips but that was a fairly easy fix.

Can’t believe such a simple looking kit took so long to do but I’m glad I stuck with it.  Not because it’s an amazing looking model (It isn’t) but it’s provided some valuable lessons for future builds.

More photos in the gallery later, but for now thanks for following along!

20220602_064348

20220603_015353

• Like 10

On 02/06/2022 at 08:17, bigbadbadge said:

Looks wonderful,  great work.

Chris

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Absolutely superb 

I didn't even remember these kits existed but you have done an amazing job with this one. :thumbsup:

Cheers Pat 

31 minutes ago, TonyW said:

That really is an epic build. Top marks for not letting it beat you. The results are worth all the effort.

Thanks chaps!

She’s earned herself a nice spot on the shelf with my other, larger aircraft.  Hopefully I can add the other two from the range in the future but…..  No rush!

Not the end of the Matchbox builds.  I have a Bugatti Type 59 waiting to be built.  Fell in love with the kit when I saw another build thread on here but took a while to score one on eBay.  Should be ready to build it for the 60th anniversary group build!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 20/01/2022 at 17:53, BluesModeller said:

Always hoped to fly on a 747 and never got the chance.

Last time I flew, 2006,  was Air India to Chicago,  odd flight out as originated in Mumbai, and had people sleeping on the floor and doorways.   No-one seemed to care so I took the opportunity to stretch out myself by one of the rear doors.

Flight back was maybe a 20% full plane,  this time I got to stretch out over the 4 seat in the middle.  Which is the way to travel on  a long flight...  

Planes were ex-Korean I think from some of the signs inside, and had a neat paint job,  I was amused by the "taj mahal" frames painted round the windows

2586862900_6716b62306_b.jpgAir India Boeing 747-437 VT-ESO Khajuraho (17763) by Thomas Becker, on Flickr

On 30/01/2022 at 21:18, BluesModeller said:

Has been a nightmare trying to get rid of the seams.

I really rate superglue with talc, dries fast 2 minutes or so, does not shrink, will stick over paint,  much softer than neat superglue and feathers out when sanded. Ands as fast, no problem to add more if needed.

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Last time I flew, 2006,  was Air India to Chicago,  odd flight out as originated in Mumbai, and had people sleeping on the floor and doorways.   No-one seemed to care so I took the opportunity to stretch out myself by one of the rear doors.

Flight back was maybe a 20% full plane,  this time I got to stretch out over the 4 seat in the middle.  Which is the way to travel on  a long flight...  

Planes were ex-Korean I think from some of the signs inside, and had a neat paint job,  I was amused by the "taj mahal" frames painted round the windows

2586862900_6716b62306_b.jpgAir India Boeing 747-437 VT-ESO Khajuraho (17763) by Thomas Becker, on Flickr

I really rate superglue with talc, dries fast 2 minutes or so, does not shrink, will stick over paint,  much softer than neat superglue and feathers out when sanded. Ands as fast, no problem to add more if needed.

cheers

T

Really like the livery on the Air India planes. The window surrounds are an amusing but nice touch. Shame so many planes are dull, white tubes!

I really need to try the superglue method you mentioned.  Is there a specific ratio of glue to talc?

1 minute ago, BluesModeller said:

The window surrounds are an amusing but nice touch. Shame so many planes are dull, white tubes!

I noticed the windows when waiting to board in Chicago, and they amused me enough I too a photo. 

1 minute ago, BluesModeller said:

I really need to try the superglue method you mentioned.  Is there a specific ratio of glue to talc?

No,  too little talc and it's too runny, too much and it's like dough, but you can just play with it.  Worst that happens is you need to make another mix.

I've even used it for small filling jobs on the house window frames that get a lot of sun....  waiting to see how they fare.

I use an old jar lid, and pound shop mini tubes, make sure it's talc, not corn starch.

I put a little talc on the lid,  and a drop of SG, and mix with a small old flat screwdriver, which I use to apply. 

You can cut, carve it and scrape it, which is faster than sanding, and makes less mess, and use fine abrasive to finish up.    Great for little dings and the like because of the speed. Fill,  and work,  problems solved in a few minutes, even if you don't like for bigger jobs.

Just scrape the dried stuff off the screwdriver when done. 

I've not tried it for big filling jobs, but really that's what Milliput is for.    I have used plastic scrap/shaving and SG to say back vac spinner, but when setting it can give a lot of heat,  and SG fumes can make your eyes and mucus membranes sting,  and some folks do not get on with it for this reason.

Simplest thing is to have a play,  even if you have to go and buy the materials, assuming you have a pound shop nearby the glue will be a quid, as will talc... 

Forgot to say, really enjoyed the 747 build and story, only looked at this as saw the pics in the gallery and was curious from the brief write up. 

I'm a big fan of builds with problems that get solved, and the solutions explained,  as they are great for tips and ideas,  and show folks, especially the beginners and returnees practical problem solving.

Great build thread and model, :goodjob:

cheers

T

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I noticed the windows when waiting to board in Chicago, and they amused me enough I too a photo. 

No,  too little talc and it's too runny, too much and it's like dough, but you can just play with it.  Worst that happens is you need to make another mix.

I've even used it for small filling jobs on the house window frames that get a lot of sun....  waiting to see how they fare.

I use an old jar lid, and pound shop mini tubes, make sure it's talc, not corn starch.

I put a little talc on the lid,  and a drop of SG, and mix with a small old flat screwdriver, which I use to apply. 

You can cut, carve it and scrape it, which is faster than sanding, and makes less mess, and use fine abrasive to finish up.    Great for little dings and the like because of the speed. Fill,  and work,  problems solved in a few minutes, even if you don't like for bigger jobs.

Just scrape the dried stuff off the screwdriver when done. 

I've not tried it for big filling jobs, but really that's what Milliput is for.    I have used plastic scrap/shaving and SG to say back vac spinner, but when setting it can give a lot of heat,  and SG fumes can make your eyes and mucus membranes sting,  and some folks do not get on with it for this reason.

Simplest thing is to have a play,  even if you have to go and buy the materials, assuming you have a pound shop nearby the glue will be a quid, as will talc... 

Forgot to say, really enjoyed the 747 build and story, only looked at this as saw the pics in the gallery and was curious from the brief write up. 

I'm a big fan of builds with problems that get solved, and the solutions explained,  as they are great for tips and ideas,  and show folks, especially the beginners and returnees practical problem solving.

Great build thread and model, :goodjob:

cheers

T

Cheers Troy!

There’s something very satisfying about overcoming an issue with a build.  Doesn’t feel like it when an issue first presents itself, particularly a self inflicted problem, but learning new skills or passing on tips makes it worth it.

I have a few 1/72 aircraft to test the talc / SG mix on.

15 minutes ago, BluesModeller said:

There’s something very satisfying about overcoming an issue with a build.  Doesn’t feel like it when an issue first presents itself, particularly a self inflicted problem, but learning new skills or passing on tips makes it worth it.

I've just been having to wrestle with adding some tracks,  in a revell re issue of a M7 Priest, which I thought would be easy, and then wasn't, bits snapping, required adding brass rod pins and load of faffing about....

It will be satisfying if it looks reasonably aligned....  it's a build that has been quite trying at points....  As I realise I say at various points... 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235107669-48009-m-7-priest/

And repeat myself,  like I really should have used more tube glue....  as I didn't re-read what I wrote a month before..... :banghead:

cheers

T

• Like 1