Aero Oy (former Finnair) Junkers Ju-52/3m in 1/144

The three engined Junkers Ju-52 nicknamed in German "Tante Ju" or Aunt Ju was in production between 1931 and -52. The very special feature of the plane was the corrugated duralumin skin that was used to strengthen the fuselage. In addition to the military transport operations of the Luftwaffe the plane type also flew with over 12 international airlines, one of them being the Finnish Aero Oy (nowadays Finnair). The company had five Ju-52's in their fleet.

I built the plane named Kaleva (OH-ALL) from the Eduard 1/144 scale kit. This particular plane had a tragic history. On June 14, 1940, during peace time with the Soviet Union, it was en route from Tallinn to Helsinki when two Soviet DB-3 bombers approached it, opened fire and shot down the plane to the Gulf of Finland. All five passengers and two crew members were killed. Rumour has it that the plane was probably downed because of the confidential mail that the French diplomats carried on board. A Soviet submarine came to collect the documents from the debris. 

I built my model from an Eduard 1/144 scale kit that was of good quality and quite simple to build. I additionally bought an Eduard photoetch set to increase the detailing of the model. The decals for the Kaleva plane are from the Finnish Kuivalainen decals.  The kit also contained masks for the complex cockpit windows. I painted clear gray curtains to the cabin windows and the extra thin antenna wire is a shingle of hair donated by my wife 🙂

I primed the model with Humbrol gloss black enamel and covered it then with Extreme metal's dark aluminium.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

OH-ALL at the newly inaugurated Helsinki-Malmi airport

spacer.png

• Like 28

Excellent Tante Ju! I love these antique airliners in the small scale. Thanks for the historic photos - they always enrich a build.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Toryu said:

Excellent Tante Ju! I love these antique airliners in the small scale. Thanks for the historic photos - they always enrich a build.

Thank you Toryu,

Einar

42 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Thanks for posting another beauty Einar.

The Ju-52/3m is a truly iconic aircraft and your model certainly does it justice.

Dave G

Thank you Dave!

Einar 

57 minutes ago, Orso said:

Very nice build. It sure is looking good. One doesn't see civilian Ju52's modelled to often.

Thank you Orso!

Einar 

37 minutes ago, Rupert said:

I love this period of civil aviation so just can't help appreciating such a superb model.

Vincent

Thank you Rupert!

Einar

Wonderful build Einar - it's a great kit but I don't see many finished. Really nice to see a civilian version and interesting to hear about the history of your subject even though it ended tragically.

Cheers, Andy

• Thanks 1