ICEX! Submarine surfaced in Arctic ice

My local modeling group (Mad City Modelers, in Madison Wisconsin) is having a group build this month, the theme is "Inclement Weather". As a former submariner, I've always wanted to do a diorama of a sub surfaced in the Arctic, and now I have a good excuse!

Here are a couple of photos for reference:

51805348570_11b0476396_b.jpgT 

51803664422_392ae3efdd_b.jpg 

The sub in the above pics is USS Trepang (SSN-674), a Sturgeon-class attack submarine, and were taken during her trip to the North Pole in ICEX-85.

I started with MikroMir's 1/350 kit of USS Sturgeon (SSN-637):

51804986789_c74262a96c_c.jpg 

I've never tried anything like this before, so my results are mixed and I'd do some things differently if I were to do it over again. Overall, though, I'm satisfied. You be the judge:

51804559051_90c7aa3b1d_b.jpg 

51804671408_c78a36fc1f_b.jpg

51805281855_c5acb46de7_z.jpg   51803598587_31778b24f8_c.jpg 

This was a quick-and-dirty project, and I didn't post a WIP. So, I'll briefly show some build highlights here:

I began by cutting a recess in a block of foam for the upper hull half:

51804674193_fbd7a06b9b_c.jpg 

I painted the hull with Mr Surfacer rattlecan black, and fixed it in place using AK Interactive Resin Water. I tinted the resin blue with a few drops of enamel paint. In retrospect, I should have gone with white instead:

51803601292_50c569651b_c.jpg 

For the ice, I cast a thin (about 2-mm) sheet of white-tinted AK Interactive Resin Ice:

51803601062_9e977506ed_c.jpg 

Only the sub's sail (a.k.a. fin, a.k.a. conning tower) will show above the ice. I assembled and painted the sail separately, to be added after the ice is in place. I used just nine parts from the kit in total, seven of those were for the sail. Note that I added pins to firmly secure the fairwater diving planes. I also added pins for the periscope and radio masts (not shown):

51804673843_eda7aba19e_z.jpg 

I carefully lowered the resin ice over the mounted hull. I found the resin to be a strange mix of being brittle, yet flexible. I used a small hammer to carefully break the ice over the hull. Loose pieces were fixed in place using clear silicone adhesive and CA. I also had to cut openings for the sail and rudder. Once the ice was in place, I added a layer of generic, model railroad snow which I fixed in place with hairspray. Finally, I added the sail assembly:

51799687035_871c12026e_c.jpg 

51798953921_0e970af319_c.jpg 

And, there you have it. Not bad for a week's effort!

51805281930_8f26fb1354_b.jpg 

And, if you've gotten this far, here is a nice video for your entertainment!

Thanks for viewing!

- Bill

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. - My other submarine builds:

• Like 52
  • Thanks 8

4 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Love it Bill, this is a very good result !

Especially given the time frame you build it..

cheers, Jan

Maybe the cold weather we're having here in Wisconsin (-5F, or -20C this morning) gave me extra motivation! :cold:🤪

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, billn53 said:

model railroad snow which I fixed in place with hairspray

Very nice and clever Build! I have one doubt...does the snow stay fixed with the hairspray, I'm saying so because if it get humidity....Thanks

Cheers

LM

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

does the snow stay fixed with the hairspray, I'm saying so because if it get humidity....Thanks

Cheers

LM

Once the spray is dry, I blow off any loose snow and re-apply if needed. Repeat until satisfied.

I've used this technique before and haven't had any issues with the snow becoming loose.

51806108228_b9427e5cf0_c.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, billn53 said:

I've used this technique before and haven't had any issues with the snow becoming loose.

Thanks for the tip...I was wandering that with humidity/water the hairspray dissolves. Glad I'm wrong.

Cheers

LM

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I think this is quite stunning. My only input would be to express concern for those standing ontop of the broken ice, but then I watched the video...

Oh and thank you in advance - I shall be 'borrowing' heavily from this!

David

I'd love to see what you do!

On 1/7/2022 at 9:20 PM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Oh and thank you in advance - I shall be 'borrowing' heavily from this!

David

That is just brilliant! I'm feeling a bit chilly looking at it.

I need some "water" and am very glad to see your use of these products.

Alan

Edited by Angus Tura
Mess up
  • Like 1

Dare I say that this is really cool? When I saw the reference picture I was worried it might be a bit boring, but the way you have the whole sub just starting to be visible, it's makes it a really interesting piece.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MRMRL said:

Dare I say that this is really cool? When I saw the reference picture I was worried it might be a bit boring, but the way you have the whole sub just starting to be visible, it's makes it a really interesting piece.

A totally serendipitous result, not at all how I was expecting it to turn out! But, now I’ll claim  it’s the result of my masterful modeling skills 🤣

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, billn53 said:

A totally serendipitous result, not at all how I was expecting it to turn out! But, now I’ll claim  it’s the result of my masterful modeling skills 🤣

I've had this kind of outcome once or twice, not on something this cool though (like the first time I tried to do panel lines worked but I don't know how, took a long time after to suss properly) - I won't tell if you don't 😉

• Like 1