PK 32 F 86 A Sabre Col Francis Gabreski 4 FIW Korea 1951

Fond memories! I had several Matchbox Sabres... and several Matchbox Me262. I used the remaining Sabre decals on the (alu painted) Me262s, which resulted in rather interesting looking what-iffs! 😁

I always found Matchbox decals were very resilient, they had no trouble clinging to the (very) matt Humbrol enamel (that used to cover well in a single brush stroke, or so I seem to recall... 😁). 😏

Edited by ivand
grammar
  • Thanks 1

Good evening

Yesterday I placed the seat in the cockpit and closed the canopy and today I placed the decals

22042106402923585417872054.jpg

22042106402923585417872055.jpg

Patrice

• Like 5

Good afternoon

Today I placed 2 fuel tanks from an Heller Kit

22042308073223585417873859.jpg

22042406014323585417875644.jpg

22042406014323585417875643.jpg

22042406014423585417875645.jpg

Thank you for looking and supporting

Patrice

• Like 6

Beautifully completed Patrice and I’m very surprised how well those decals went down on this kit. I was considering a completely different scheme as I always thought those decals wouldn’t play nicely, however you’ve just shown us how well they can perform with care and attention. The Heller underwing tanks are a great addition as well, this Sabre really does look great. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Beautifully completed Patrice and I’m very surprised how well those decals went down on this kit. I was considering a completely different scheme as I always thought those decals wouldn’t play nicely, however you’ve just shown us how well they can perform with care and attention. The Heller underwing tanks are a great addition as well, this Sabre really does look great. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Dave

I was also very pleased with the way the decals reacted ..it is probably thanks to the way the kit was stored ..

I am surprised that it is the only F86 A available in 1/72 ..

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I am surprised that it is the only F86 A available in 1/72 ..

Yes, one of the modelling worlds greatest mysteries. For such a famous aircraft why the ‘A’ has been missed in all the major scales is very strange. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

What a lovely finish Patrice on a wonderful kit.

I would like to ask a question though - what is your secret for brush-painting the Humbrol Metalcote? I have tried for years and have not had any success, so I must be using the wrong technique. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Ray

Good morning Ray

I am sorry for my late reply ..

I like to paint my  aircraft kits in aluminium I used the reference Humbrol 11 for a long time with more or less satisfactory results
 then a few years ago I discovered the Metalcote range and here’s how I proceed:
  I clean the surface I’m going to paint so it’s clean and smooth     .
 I mix the paint well in the pot and I do a test on a plastic drop before I really start .
 I use a flat, clean brush for important surfaces and clean it regularly  .
 I pass two or three layers of thin hinge rather than a single thick layer as a thin layer dries faster .
  I hope this will answer your questions.

Best Regards

Patrice

7 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Well done Patrice 

Martin H

God evening Martin

Thank you for your comment ..

Best Regards

Patrice