PK 32 F 86 A Sabre Col Francis Gabreski 4 FIW Korea 1951

Fond memories! I had several Matchbox Sabres... and several Matchbox Me262. I used the remaining Sabre decals on the (alu painted) Me262s, which resulted in rather interesting looking what-iffs! ๐Ÿ˜

I always found Matchbox decals were very resilient, they had no trouble clinging to the (very) matt Humbrol enamel (that used to cover well in a single brush stroke, or so I seem to recall... ๐Ÿ˜). ๐Ÿ˜

Edited by ivand
grammar
  • Thanks 1

Beautifully completed Patrice and Iโ€™m very surprised how well those decals went down on this kit. I was considering a completely different scheme as I always thought those decals wouldnโ€™t play nicely, however youโ€™ve just shown us how well they can perform with care and attention. The Heller underwing tanks are a great addition as well, this Sabre really does look great.ย 
Cheers and well modelled.. Daveย 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Beautifully completed Patrice and Iโ€™m very surprised how well those decals went down on this kit. I was considering a completely different scheme as I always thought those decals wouldnโ€™t play nicely, however youโ€™ve just shown us how well they can perform with care and attention. The Heller underwing tanks are a great addition as well, this Sabre really does look great.ย 
Cheers and well modelled.. Daveย 

Dave

I was also very pleased with the way the decals reacted ..it is probably thanks to the way the kit was stored ..

I am surprised that it is the only F86 A available in 1/72 ..

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I am surprised that it is the only F86 A available in 1/72 ..

Yes, one of the modelling worlds greatest mysteries. For such a famous aircraft why the โ€˜Aโ€™ has been missed in all the major scales is very strange.ย 

Cheers.. Daveย 

• Like 1

What a lovely finish Patrice on a wonderful kit.

ย 

I would like to ask a question though - what is your secret for brush-painting the Humbrol Metalcote? I have tried for years and have not had any success, so I must be using the wrong technique. Any advice would be really appreciated.

ย 

Cheers,

ย 

Ray

Good morning Ray

ย I am sorry for my late reply ..

ย I like to paint myย  aircraft kits in aluminium I used the reference Humbrol 11 for a long time with more or less satisfactory results
ย then a few years ago I discovered the Metalcote range and hereโ€™s how I proceed:
ย  I clean the surface Iโ€™m going to paint so itโ€™s clean and smoothย ย ย ย  .
ย I mix the paint well in the pot and I do a test on a plastic drop before I really start .
ย I use a flat, clean brush for important surfaces and clean it regularlyย  .
ย I pass two or three layers of thin hinge rather than a single thick layer as a thin layer dries faster .
ย  I hope this will answer your questions.

ย 

Best Regards

Patrice