Durkadurkastan or Durkadurkaland?? GB

trickyrich

Alright something completely left of field here for this one, so bare with me........

Ok with all that is going on in Kazakhstan (which is horrendous and very disturbing), it got me thinking of what countries end with "stan"...... and don't ask why! 

There are 7 countries, all in Central Asia;

Afghanistan

Kazakhstan

Kyrgyzstan

Pakistan

Tajikistan

Turkmenistan

Uzbekistan

Now the word "stan" in Persian has the meaning of "a place abounding in" or "a place where anything abounds", so Uzbekistan is "land of the Uzbeks".

So "stan is therefore comparable with the word "land", and surprisingly there are a few countries that end in "land" as well, 8 in fact.

Finland

Iceland

Ireland

Netherlands

New Zealand

Poland

Switzerland

Thailand 

Ok I know there are a couple of wee places called England & Scotland, but for the case of this GB I will refer to the site below for eligible countries. It's not perfect but hey it's all for the fun of a GB which is a bit different from all the others!

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-ending-in-land

So for this GB idea, you can build anything form the 15 countries listed above (there will be no additions) or have been used by them, hey it's all bout the fun of a GB! :thumbsup: 

Extra bonus points for those that choice one of the less common "stans"!!!  Durkadurkastan builds will be allowed as well!   "Merica F...... yeah!"  :D

• Like 3

• trickyrich changed the title to Durkadurkastan or Durkadurkaland?? GB

The irony of this proposal is that the one country which should be there due to the literal use of the word "land" in it's language, won't be elegible as you are considering only english names of the counties. Which country, you ask? well:

Deutschland

obviously. (Germany for those not familiar with the german language).

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Without wishing to stir the political pot, what about Kurdistan?

well I'm using that bastion of all worldly knowledge, Wiki as the reference for the "stans", it keeps things nice and simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/01/2022 at 07:10, trickyrich said:

So "stan is therefore comparable with the word "land", and surprisingly there are a few countries that end in "land" as well, 8 in fact.

Finland

Iceland

Ireland

Netherlands

New Zealand

Poland

Switzerland

Thailand 

England? Unless the etymology of this is different

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

that site I linked to "World Population Review" gives a good reason why not.

Interesting article. I think it's a good list. It'll make for a pretty weird and quite eclectic GB. Was really just kidding with my UK suggestion!

Looking at my decal stash I'm disappointed to find nothing for Kyrgyzstan or Tajikistan. Might have to fix that. I can do all the other Stans and all the Lands though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Isnt the Mark in Denmark similar to land? I'll bet there is a few other equivalents in other languages. Also the -ia ending for Russia, Serbia, Croatia, India etc. And actually Bangladesh means land of the Bengal.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...