1:72 Short Stirling Mk.1 *FINISHED*

Dunny

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks lovely Roger, very  quick painting progress too and great to see a cheeky mid week update.  This is really progressing well.

Cracking work fella and enjoy your weekend away.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - I am pleased with the way it's all shaping up,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

20220127-165301.jpg

I decided to not rush to get it done, so that'll be all for a week or so as I'll be away for most of the weekend,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Looking really good Roger, that camouflage looks bob on. Also, anyone else wondering if Stirlings were used in Coastal Command after seeing this pic?? 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Looking really good Roger, that camouflage looks bob on. Also, anyone else wondering if Stirlings were used in Coastal Command after seeing this pic?? 😎

Thanks for the kind words Mike - much appreciated. Now THAT would be a wif - almost tempted to whip out the DSG/EDSG now!

Cheers,

Roger

7 hours ago, AliGauld said:

She's looking very pretty now.

Beautiful paintwork.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair - I am quite pleased with how it's shaping up (which probably now angers the modelling gods!)

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That is looking super. The size comparison with the Lancaster is very striking. I missed your Lancaster II build so I am heading off to have a look...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks very much Adrian - the Lanc was done about this time last year, and was a blast. Highly recommended!

• Like 1

Hi All,

I got back a little earlier than anticipated from my weekend away, so have had a couple of hours bench time. I'd managed to complete the masking for the upper surfaces on Friday, so here's the Nato Black in the process of being applied to the fuselage::

20220130-132640.jpg

I then applied local tonal variations using the same colour lightened with interior grey green. Here's the results following unmasking:

20220130_141241.jpg

20220130_141257.jpg

20220130_141324.jpg

The effect is much more subtle than it appears in these photos, and it's quite pleasing to (my) naked eye. Finally, here's a shot with a gloss coat applied prior to decals, which I may or may not apply this afternoon:

20220130_145139.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the the way it's all coming together, so hopefully no disasters are lurking!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Edited by Dunny
Spelling
  • Like 16

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow  this looks wonderful Roger, the night looks great , did you manage to get the decals on ?

Hope you had a good weekend 

Chris

Thanks very much Chris! I did manage to get a few decals on but then had a minor disaster so packed up for the day. I'll come back to it when I have more time and energy,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Chris! I did manage to get a few decals on but then had a minor disaster so packed up for the day. I'll come back to it when I have more time and energy,

Cheers,

Roger

No worries Roger  I don't blame you  you don't want to ruin this , I was gonna say little beauty,  but it's a big beauty.  

Chris

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

Cripes Roger, you've really pushed this one along & made a super job of it in the process. That is looking brilliant. Very much a favourite of mine the Stirling. I'm a real softy for the under dog.

Steve.

Thanks for the kind words Steve - much appreciated. It is ticking along nicely but did sit on the shelf for 4 years! It surely is an impressive aircraft,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Hi Roger

She's looking great.

If you're planning on having the wing bomb cells open, the doors themselves retract into the cell not open into the airflow. The following link shows it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHORT-STIRLING-BOMBER-WING-BOMB-CELL-DOORS-ORIGINAL-VINTAGE-PHOTO-WW2-RAF-/203654951058?nma=true&si=9Y7KxGc0xzsfRTG8uQfoDCqABYs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Oh she is looking splendid.

Hope the decal issue if that's what the hiccup was can be overcome because this Stirling is gorgeous.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair! Yes it was  a decal issue and I may end up spraying the squadron and a/c codes. Not a major setback but did not have the mojo reserves yesterday!

4 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Hi Roger

She's looking great.

If you're planning on having the wing bomb cells open, the doors themselves retract into the cell not open into the airflow. The following link shows it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHORT-STIRLING-BOMBER-WING-BOMB-CELL-DOORS-ORIGINAL-VINTAGE-PHOTO-WW2-RAF-/203654951058?nma=true&si=9Y7KxGc0xzsfRTG8uQfoDCqABYs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

cheers

John

Thanks very much John - information received and understood!

• Like 1

Hi All,

A brief update. I'd alluded to a minor disaster in my last post, which was decal related. The decals for BF372 were part of a special Australian boxing, and always looked a little suspect. The squadron and aircraft codes OJ*H were all surrounded by lots of carrier film which looked very susceptible to silvering. I therefore trimmed around the code letters carefully minimising this risk. Well with the 'O' I eliminated silvering completely, because this happened:

20220130-154106.jpg

The decals were also unfeasibly delicate 🤬, and the same thing happened to the 'H'. Luckily there was another 149 Sqn aircraft represented in one of the kit schemes, so I decided to use the 'OJ' from these decals and spray the 'H'. All went well until I had the 'J' down - it was ever so slightly out of position relative to the 'O', and would not shift for love nor money. I then plonked down the roundel and suffered the same issue. Initially I thought 'no problem, just remove the 'J' and spray that too. So I used some Tamiya tape to whip the 'J' off, leaving this:

20220201-195850.jpg

You can just see the outline of the 'J' - it was just a bit too high and too close to the the 'O', and offended the eye. I then also decided that the roundel was positioned too far to the right, so it had to come off too:

20220201-200753.jpg

I'll touch up the affected areas, find a roundel in the spares box, and mask and spray the codes in MSG on this side (maybe both sides??). Although it's a bit of a setback I'm pleased to have committed to this course of action as it would've bugged me otherwise. What could possibly go wrong?! 🤣

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Sorry for the decal troubles Roger, I hate it when that happens.  I have some appropriate code letters decals in MSG, can put the required in the post if you want?  With AusPost you know they’ll get there this year ;) 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Sorry for the decal troubles Roger, I hate it when that happens.  I have some appropriate code letters decals in MSG, can put the required in the post if you want?  With AusPost you know they’ll get there this year ;) 

That's very kind of you Mark - I am going to give spraying a go but don't be surprised if you get a PM!🤣  Really appreciate the offer,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Man that is disappointing but I'm sure that the sprayed ones will be a hundred times better.

I hate it when decals do that.

Keep up the good work and am looking forward to see your progress.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,

I'll settle for on par, but your confidence is inspiring. At least they're simple letters - none of these damnable curvy 'G's or 'S'!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Sorry to hear about the decals Roger, I  am sure you'll be absolutely fine painting the codes and they will look much better.

Chris

Thanks Chris - at least I know the paint is solid so the masks shouldn't pull away!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Hi All,

Some good progress on the Stirling today! During the week I'd taken a bit of time to clean up around the decal disaster, and I also carefully cut out a stencil for the code letters. Here it is applied:

20220205-112157.jpg

I then carefully sprayed the relevant areas in Medium Sea Grey, before transferring the 'H' to the other side of the fuselage and repeating the exercise. Here's how they ended up:

20220205-113644.jpg

Not perfect but that, my modelling chums, is a save! 🤩 The mess you can see around the 'H' is just a slight residue of blutac, which cleaned away easily enough. Once that had dried I then proceeded to apply the rest of the decals, which occurred without incident:

20220205-125854.jpg

I then applied another gloss coat, and then applied a wash accompanied by Bon Jovi's 'Haze of Flory' (wait, is that right?) 🤣 I forgot to photograph that bit, so you will have to be content with the state of play after a flat coat was applied:

20220205-135331.jpg

20220205-140836.jpg

I don't think the panel lines look too bad?? They sure have popped! I may yet apply another flat coat, but I'm starting to get a little excited - the end is not too far away! I may post another update a bit later depending on progress,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 12