1:72 Short Stirling Mk.1 *FINISHED*

Dunny

And what a difference a quick hour makes! That bomb bay looks so good filled to the brim with ordinance. Chalk me up for a Gladiator vote - so long as the Albacore doesn't sit on the shelf for too long..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff G said:

And what a difference a quick hour makes! That bomb bay looks so good filled to the brim with ordinance. Chalk me up for a Gladiator vote - so long as the Albacore doesn't sit on the shelf for too long..

Thanks very much Jeff! 3-0 to the Glad...

21 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Fantastic. Looks great with everything open. Display on a mirror?

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks very much Adrian - not a bad idea!

Cheers,

Roger

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Bombs and bays look great Roger, cracking work.   Looking forward to seeing this over the line. 

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - hopefully not too much to go wrong now!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mark.au said:

Looking fantastic Roger, the detailing and finish is spot on.

Thanks very much Mark - not too far to the finish line now!

Cheers,

Roger

22 minutes ago, Lanmi said:

Great work, I saved a lot of pictures for reference. I am hoping to start one soon. 

Thanks very much Lanmi! I hope it helps - best of luck with your build!

Cheers,

Roger 

• Dunny changed the title to 1:72 Short Stirling Mk.1 *FINISHED*

Hi All,

I've sneaked in a couple of cheeky bench hours this arve, and have made some good progress. First order of business was the dorsal turret. Here's a shot mid-assembly:

20220211_155012.jpg

And here she is in position:

20220211_162132.jpg

Quite an awkward shape when compared to the Lanc, but I guess that's progress for you! Here's the rear turret components:

20220211_160146.jpg

Note the folded PE frame for the guns, which is quite an important visual element of the construction. Here's the final construction in place:

20220211_161848.jpg

I just noticed that I've neglected to add the waste ammo chutes - will do that immediately. :banghead:

"Must not forget ammo chutes"

"Must not forget ammo chutes"

I am 53. Ammo chutes forgotten 🤣

It was then just a few bits & bobs to the finish line. I'm quite pleased with the formation lights - quite impressive that these were included in gentleman's scale:

20220211_164909.jpg

And here's the upper elevator actuators:

20220211_165236.jpg

The final act was to add the antenna wire using fine Uschi thread, aaaand I'm calling her done. Here's a few teaser shots:

20220211_175918.jpg

20220211_180008.jpg

20220211_180052.jpg

20220211_180214.jpg

I have to admit that I'm pretty happy with the end result, although there's the usual plethora of minor niggles, omissions and errors. I'll get an RFI done over the weekend at some point, but it has been a most enjoyable journey learning about this amazing aircraft. Thanks to all who've tagged along the way, with particular thanks to @12jaguar, @dogsbody and @elger who have all helped with information along the way which has made it all the more rewarding. Thanks also to everyone who has offered kind words and encouragement on the journey - it's great to have finally finished this beast after a long 4 year hiatus, and an important addition to the heavy collection. I may not be able to resist some RFI shots with other Hercules-powered bombers - just sayin'!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 22

8 minutes ago, elger said:

Fantastic outcome. Love it!

Thanks Elger - appreciate the help along the way!

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks absolutely fantastic Roger, great work.   Love the finish and weathering, it certainly looks very impressive and is going to stand out on your display. Love it.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - as ever appreciate your kind words and support,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

I like that a lot.  I bet you’re glad you took it back into production, such an important addition to the collection and very well done as well.  You’ve inspired me to add a Stirling to my one-day-I-will-build-one-of-these list.  

Thanks for sharing the build.

• Thanks 1

That looks splendid. It’s making me want to dig out my Airfix one and get stuck into some serious styrene mangling.

One thing, if I dare be the bearer of bad tidings, the aileron actuators are in the wrong place. One end needs to be on the wing itself. Sorry, I’ll get my anorak… 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mark.au said:

I like that a lot.  I bet you’re glad you took it back into production, such an important addition to the collection and very well done as well.  You’ve inspired me to add a Stirling to my one-day-I-will-build-one-of-these list.  

Thanks for sharing the build.

Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. I very much look forward to seeing that, along with the accompanying back story at which you excel.

5 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

That looks splendid. It’s making me want to dig out my Airfix one and get stuck into some serious styrene mangling.

One thing, if I dare be the bearer of bad tidings, the aileron actuators are in the wrong place. One end needs to be on the wing itself. Sorry, I’ll get my anorak… 

Thanks very much Heather - I would highly recommend the Italeri offering should the constitution not be up to Auntie's offering. As for the actuators, mumble mumble mumble from the embarrassed engineering manager - I'll add their relocation to the ammo chutes on the tail turret. 

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

3 minutes ago, Dunny said:

As for the actuators, mumble mumble mumble from the embarrassed engineering manager - I'll add their relocation to the ammo chutes on the tail turret. 

I didn't  like to mention it, but as Heather has brought it up, here's a photo - if you decide to move them they need turning round and placing so the rear leg just behind the aileron hinge line

15_Short_Stirling_(15216076644).jpg

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dave Swindell said:

I didn't  like to mention it, but as Heather has brought it up, here's a photo - if you decide to move them they need turning round and placing so the rear leg just behind the aileron hinge line

15_Short_Stirling_(15216076644).jpg

Thanks very much Dave - happy to make the mod and appreciate the feedback! (Great photo too!)

Cheers,

Roger

18 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I would highly recommend the Italeri offering should the constitution not be up to Auntie's offering.

Funnily enough, I did consider it. The early mark isn’t currently available, but I note the later mark is being reissued. At the time, I reviewed various builds, and decided that if I was to do all the adjustments I saw folk doing to the Italeri kit, I’d be just as likely to be doing them to an Airfix one. So I bought the older kit for some cheap price at a secondhand stall, and plan to have some fun with it in due course, knowing it won’t have cost a fortune if it all goes to pot. Perhaps the Italeri MkI will be out again by then!

I have got the Italeri Sunderland. Converting the old Airfix MkIII to a MkI would be a proper task.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Heather Kay said:

Funnily enough, I did consider it. The early mark isn’t currently available, but I note the later mark is being reissued. At the time, I reviewed various builds, and decided that if I was to do all the adjustments I saw folk doing to the Italeri kit, I’d be just as likely to be doing them to an Airfix one. So I bought the older kit for some cheap price at a secondhand stall, and plan to have some fun with it in due course, knowing it won’t have cost a fortune if it all goes to pot. Perhaps the Italeri MkI will be out again by then!

I have got the Italeri Sunderland. Converting the old Airfix MkIII to a MkI would be a proper task.

From what I have seen it's certainly possible to build a decent Stirling from the Airfix kit - @Romeo Alpha Yankee's current build is a testament to that. I've now got my beady eye on a Sunderland, although I think the panel lines on this one are mere dimples compared to those. All can be remedied - I believe these are known as First World Problems...

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I think the panel lines on this one are mere dimples compared to those

Quite. However, I think they’ll disappear to some extent under paint. As long as I don’t fall for the fashion of preshading, thereby drawing attention to them, they may pass muster. I’ve seen others spend ages filling them, but life's a bit too short for those games, I think. Now my braincell has decided I might try stretched sprue in the Italeri canyons… 

No. the Sundie must wait its turn. Lots of other kits to build! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Quite. However, I think they’ll disappear to some extent under paint. As long as I don’t fall for the fashion of preshading, thereby drawing attention to them, they may pass muster. I’ve seen others spend ages filling them, but life's a bit too short for those games, I think. Now my braincell has decided I might try stretched sprue in the Italeri canyons… 

No. the Sundie must wait its turn. Lots of other kits to build! :laugh:

Well said - @AliGauld's current Sundie build is a masterclass in how to deal with the foibles (which is all they are)

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Well said - @AliGauld's current Sundie build is a masterclass in how to deal with the foibles (which is all they are)

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger but I don't think masterclass is an accurate description for stumbling from one crisis to the next whilst bodging fixes. :D.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

but I note the later mark is being reissued.

It's not a reissue Heather, it's a new variant. The original issue was a MkI, then they did the MkIV glider tug. The variant being released this year is the Mk III with the later mid upper turret (compared to the mkI) extended cab intakes and oil coolers under the engines instead of buried in the wing between the engines. Hopefully they'll leave the MkI bits in the box, especially the turret, as I have a MkI on my to do list

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2