1/72 - Canadair CT-114 Tutor resin kit by Air-Graphics - box art - release in 2023 ?

Homebee

Air-Graphics is to release (in 2022 or 2023 ?) a 1/72nd Canadair CT-114 Tutor resin kit - ref. AIRK-7205

Source: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/bf85fbf2-2d34-4acd-b014-778f37b089c4/downloads/Newsletter Dec 2021.pdf

Box art

CT-114-Tutor.png

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Canadair CT-114 Tutor resin kit by Air-Graphics - box art - release in 2022 ?

I believe the Belcherbits kit is 1/48 scale. Any previous 1/72 Tutor kits have been out of production for decades - Astra vacuform, Victoria Products vacuform (and a resin version) and the Hobbycraft injection kit. Looking forward to more information as it develops. 🇨🇦

No one really knows what happened to the molds. The Dash 8 was out a few years back so somebody has those. I just hate that the HC kits usually are sold and traded for less than $10 around model clubs and members, then on ebay, people want almost $100. These aren't high end models and need a lot of work. But without HC, we'd never have any Canadian built subjects.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

No one really knows what happened to the molds. The Dash 8 was out a few years back so somebody has those. I just hate that the HC kits usually are sold and traded for less than $10 around model clubs and members, then on ebay, people want almost $100. These aren't high end models and need a lot of work. But without HC, we'd never have any Canadian built subjects.

The HobbyCraft story is complex, and what happened is unrelated to the aviation side of their line.

In the 90's, HobbyCraft Canada partnered with Life-Like to make Canadian-specific model railroad locomotives under the Proto1000 and Proto2000 lines. This was very successful, but Life-Like ended up getting bought by Walthers, the dominant Model Railroad distributor in North America who eventually dumped the partnership with HC/Life-Like Canada. At some point after that HobbyCraft rebranded and/or were sold to True-Line trains for the model railroad side. True-Line trains then announced an HO Scale U2g. It was delivered, but was a hot mess of a locomotive and customers were REALLY unhappy.

They then announced a SW1200RS, which was practically the holy grail for Canadian modellers in terms of a major prototype with no retail version (Rapido Trains had by that point released the GMD-1). Unfortunately without the Life-Like partnership, this turned into a major case of over-promise and under-deliver and it was in perpetual limbo until TLT folded in 2018. Their continued inability to deliver on the SW1200RS eventually killed the sales for the rest of their products.

TLT's assets were eventually picked up by Atlas, but that leaves some real questions about the aircraft models. Atlas doesn't do anything except trains and may not have even bought the old HC aircraft molds.

Edited by Adam Maas
  • Thanks 1

Thinking a bit deeper about this I seem to recall around 2011/12 Hobby Craft made a brief reappearance and few of the aircraft models made a brief reappearence with adds in the likes of Scale Aircraft Modelling?

50 minutes ago, chrisov said:

Thinking a bit deeper about this I seem to recall around 2011/12 Hobby Craft made a brief reappearance and few of the aircraft models made a brief reappearence with adds in the likes of Scale Aircraft Modelling?

I just looked at Scalemates, it shows the Dash-8 issued by Kitech during the 2000s sometime. Don't know about other kits. Haven't heard of Kitech.

6 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I just looked at Scalemates, it shows the Dash-8 issued by Kitech during the 2000s sometime. Don't know about other kits. Haven't heard of Kitech.

Pretty sure Kitech was molding for HC

It is great to see a new Tutor kit, even if it is a resin kit (I don't get on well with full resin kits).

The Hobbycraft 1/72 kit was dismal in both its lack of detail and lack of accuracy. You're not missing much if you can't find one.

On 1/7/2022 at 6:22 AM, chrisov said:

Hobby Craft was also 1/48 or at least I have a 1/48 one in store not sure about 1/72.

Be interesting to know where the moulds are now, most kits were moulded in S Korea I think.

I hear the molds went down with the Titanic.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Canadair CT-114 Tutor resin kit by Air-Graphics - box art - release in 2023 ?