1/48 Monogram F-18 Blue Angels

stevej60

Evening folk's,got the kit I really wanted for a mere tenner tonight on e-bay,Monograms old but nice F18

in Blue Angel's guise with the high gloss clean finish the raised detail isn't really an issue photo's show a still

sealed kit in the box and a crisp clean set of decals.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-5820-blue-angels-f-18-hornet--504442

• Like 5

Just now, modelling minion said:

Well done on finding another bargain Steve, I have seen some very nice models made from the Monogram kit.

Thank's Craig,looking forward to getting started when it arrives,after a quiet year in 2021 this and the Matchbox GB has

perked me up a bit for 2022!

• Like 1

Hi folk's the very battered box arrived,to be fair the seller was upfront about the kits condition.

20220113_184653

Inside all was in tip top condition,dry fit shows a great fit.

20220113_190602

And decals in great codition.

20220113_190647

Really looking forward to another colourful Monorevell kit their panther from a few years back is still one of my favourite builds!

20181212_111305

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Alan P said:

Wow, what an opening post Steve :eat:

Talk about setting your stall out, the Panther is beautiful and the kit already looks like a winner 👍

Thank's very much Alan.

5 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Steve,  will this be wheels up?

No Pappy,the landing gear and wheels are beautifully molded it would be a shame not to use them,the panel lines a very well done

which I always think lends itself to a high gloss finish a little wash into the wheel'/eg assembly is in order too.

Fair enough, Monogram kits have always had nice cockpits and undercarriage. The white u/c will stand out against that blue airframe.

Monogram kits were once highly regarded kits (some still are) and generally got the shape correct, my case in point is that their 1/48 A-10 kit is still regarded as the most accurate in shape but unfortunately did not move to engraved panel lines and this tends to turn off most modellers but I am sure you will turn out a stunner,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Hi folk's while the white paint was loaded for another project I thought I would get started on the rejevent parts,the wheel well detail

would put a good few modern kits to shame.

20220119_194218

• Like 6

• Mike changed the title to 1/48 Monogram F-18 Blue Angels
9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A lot of Monogram kits have very good cockpits and wheel wells, especially considering how old these kits are. Some are still more accurate than much more modern toolings too.

Agree Craig a not to heavy wash will bring it up a treat it's all dried nicely overnight it will  get a l gloss when the painting is complete.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A lot of Monogram kits have very good cockpits and wheel wells, especially considering how old these kits are. Some are still more accurate than much more modern toolings too.

Quoted for truth! Especially 1/48 jets.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Masters said:

I always enjoy your kits Steve.  The Panther is superb, btw.  I expect the same from your Blue Angel.  

Many thank's for the kind word's John I'm on the prowl for one of Monogram's Century series KIt's in 1/48 for that GB later in the year.

• Like 1

Doing a fine job and good to hear you enjoying the build Steve 👍

Can't beat old Monogram. A lot of the things people lose their heads about over new kit releases these days were unheard of with those 1/48 century series jets 😊

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very pleased to hear that Steve, do you have your sights set on any in particular?

Hi Craig,any of these would be great.Thunderchief(in the early NM scheme).Voodoo,Starfighter or Phantom and would consider the Super 

Sabre in the right scheme.as for this build slowly getting to the filler and primer stage.

20220206_173546

• Like 2