PK-132 (40132) Hungry Heinkel He 170A **Finished**

9 minutes ago, JWM said:

BTW - There is Hungarian web page on which one can find some info and photos of each individual machine of Hungary, inluding WW2 also. Here is for He 170 (they name it He 70 K) 

https://www.avia-info.hu/talalat.php?KeresettSzo=He+70&Keresolista=mind&Ujtipus=&Ujfajta=&Gyartoorszag=&Ujuzem=&Hazai=&Ujhely=&Megszunes=&Uzemkezdet=&Uzemveg=&Megjelenes=&Frisseseg=&Sorrend=jel&Darab=15&gomb=ok

Regards

J-W

That's amazing, I didn't even know this aircraft with a radial engine existed before this GB, and now there's a website that's got all of them on it ! :surprised:

• Like 1

Pat,

Some thoughts on Hungarian camos. Before 1941 there were no yellow fast identification areas. During April 1941 war (German attack on Yugoslavia) the cowlings and the whole tail were painted yellow. However later, in Summer 1941, so during the start of invasion on Soviets the yellow were wingtips from bottom and a belt in the rear part of fuselage. Looks that in this period the numbers were red with green dots/delicate overpaintings (have a look at the machine F 406 in the linked page). I am not sure how it was during April War with numbers - at least on He 46 they  were red/green in that time. Since the tails and cowlings were again camouflaged likely all machines were meanwhile  overpainted and the pattern of colors may have changed (but rather not the colors themselves) . The pre-war large unit emblems were likely removed or replaced by simplified emblems with start of Barbarossa. All those in 1941 still with triangle national insignia. The crosses came in 1942 I think.  On some Hungarian machines from later part of war (WM 21, He 46...) the German newer style camos appears (two grey from top and blotches on high light blue on sides). There are few photos of He 170/70K with blotched (for example on tail).

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Ok, now don't shoot the messenger, but before Jerzy was kind enough to do all the research on this aircraft I decided to paint it in the colours that Matchbox advised, and here it is

IMG_6290

IMG_6291

Now if you can try and stop laughing for a minute and wipe the tears from your eyes.....:rofl2:

I think it's fair to say there might be some accuracy issues here, unless you are taking non prescription medication :christmas:

I will therefore revert to some RLM colours as equivalents and repaint, good job I wasn't in a rush eh !

Cheers Pat

• Like 7

Goodness me I leave this for a minute and it languishing on page 5 !

As promised I went back and repainted in RLM colours

20220125_113444

20220125_113434

Although you no longer need glasses to look at it, it's still quite distinctive,  now I await the judgement of Jerzy @JWMmy go to man on all things He150 !

Cheers Pat

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Pat, what to say... The people who saw by their own eyes any He-170 in Hungarian colors are (almost) all dead already, it was 80 years ago, so nobody can for sure say, how they were painted .... To make you feel better - I also repainted mine He 170 - yes! Exactly that one build in 1993, which was not long ago recalled by you on RFI :)  I have painted the wheel rims in dark grey and replace the most  bright ochre by darker "golden earth brown"... I will do photos of it new colors and will put them in thread of SCW He 70 later  in the evening.,. I am also confused what the colors should be there... However -I can tell something as the "man on all things He 170" - and this is for sure:   the middle square window should be overpainted. I was glassy only in civil variant. :)   

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Although you no longer need glasses to look at it, it's still quite distinctive,  now I await the judgement of Jerzy @JWMmy go to man on all things He150 !

Cheers Pat

I'm enjoying this build Pat, the He170! I was reading up on the more powerful radial engine fitted - fascinating and it really improves the look of the front end. Love the camo. I hope the transfers behave for you. all the best. Mike

• Thanks 1

• JOCKNEY changed the title to PK-132 (40132) Hungry Heinkel He 170A **Finished**

Lovely end result Pat to a fascinating build (the colour schemes)! I really like the radial option you’ve built so might have a go myself - in 3 years time, of course! Well done!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Thanks 1

Well done buddy, considering that you've been playing GB Host and nursing the poor sick Mrs. Jockney, having a completed build already is amazing work. That He 170 looks great and something quite different from the regular green and brown camo colours. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful model. To be quite honest I prefer the earlier brighter colours. We all think the past was dull and muted - perhaps because we look at it from the perspective of black and white photos.

I have made a couple of these but am very tempted to do one in this scheme. 

WELL DONE

• Thanks 1

A complete repaint nearly counts as two builds for me. Both looked good from here. I like those wing decals a lot, I've never seen anything like them before and they really catch the eye.

What's next?

• Like 1

Well done. That is not an easy build, unlike most of the other Matchbox kits. What were they thinking with the wing to fuselage join 🙄

It's a lovely aeroplane but if I wanted another one it would be from the ICM kit.

John 

• Thanks 1