PK-4135 1950 Ford

Still busy with work here, but I hope to get something kicked off at the weekend.  It'll probably be a Matchbox AMT 1950 Ford, but I'll see what else I've got...  there's nothing with wings though, sorry.

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 6

55 minutes ago, Six97s said:

Still busy with work here, but I hope to get something kicked off at the weekend.  It'll probably be a Matchbox AMT 1950 Ford, but I'll see what else I've got...  there's nothing with wings though, sorry.

Delighted you and something Automotive will be joining the GB.

Your 1950 Ford would be very welcome,  just please make sure any AMT kit being built has Matchbox on the box.

Look forward to seeing it.

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Found the Ford in the loft, but I forgot I had this Scirocco as well.  I have a poor track record with finishing group builds (or any others) so I might throw that one together as a quick OOB build.

matchbox_amt-vi.jpg

• Like 9

• Six97s changed the title to PK-4135 1950 Ford

On with the '50 Ford.  I have a soft spot for this one, as it was the first 1/25 car kit I built (Christmas 1981).   Here's what's in the box:

50conv01-vi.jpg

50conv02-vi.jpg

50conv03-vi.jpg

50conv04-vi.jpg

50conv05-vi.jpg

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 10

Thanks.  Nothing radical or it'll end up half finished like the Mustangs....  I was thinking mild custom though - nosed and decked, shaved handles, slightly lowered - something like the coupe I built a few years ago:

50ford002_1000-vi.jpg

• Like 6

Nice start to this WIP @Six97s. These AMT / Matchbox labelled kits are all new to me so I'll be keeping an eye to see what's going on. Looks the goods so far and I'm sure you will have fun building it all in front of us. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2022 at 23:20, Ned said:

Woo, this triggers some memories.  A Chevy Bel-Air I think, and another that I can't remember. The AMT logo and the shape of the box...

Was there anything that we didn't build :)

Almost chose that one (if you meant the '51), but memories of the horrible fit between the chassis, body and inner wings put me off. 

stash3-vi.jpg

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 8

Not much to show yet on this one.   I've installed the windscreen frame and fitted the front suspension and the splash pans/bumper mounts to the chassis.   The engine had huge holes through the block for a metal axle (replaced with plastic in this boxing), but I'm going to use pins to mount the wheels.  I've filled the holes with sprue offcuts and will carve to shape when it's set.

50conv06-vi.jpg

50conv07-vi.jpg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Six97s said:

Almost chose that one (if you meant the '51), but memories of the horrible fit between the chassis, body and inner wings put me off. 

stash3-vi.jpg

That image was all that I needed! The one that I remember was the '57, and the 'other' one was indeed the '51 :)

• Like 1

Nice stash. I spotted the Johan Dodge peeking out there. I keep bidding on the Cruisin' USA kits when they turn up on the bay. But no luck so far.

I sold off a load of car kits years ago for a wodge of cash. I now wish I hadn't though.

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice stash. I spotted the Johan Dodge peeking out there. I keep bidding on the Cruisin' USA kits when they turn up on the bay. But no luck so far.

I sold off a load of car kits years ago for a wodge of cash. I now wish I hadn't though.

Thanks, I should thin it out though, I keep forgetting what I've got and end up with duplicates.  😬  I'd give the Cruisin' USA releases a miss unless you're really drawn to collecting...  that series had some gates blocked off so they only contain the parts for the box art version. The Riviera lacks the stock grille, bumpers and wheels. 

• Thanks 1

The Nomad will be reissued some time this year.  I hope they'll ditch the stupid Boyd's wheels and reinstate the ARE Torq Thrust mags... I also hope they didn't ruin the tooling for the Boyd's version; it's only been reissued as a stock version since.

Not much progress to report, but I've done a bit on the interior. Here's the front bench seat (try to control your excitement):

50conv08-vi.jpg

Since I'm following a late '50s mild custom theme, it seemed appropriate to give it tuck and roll upholstery.  I first cut the seat apart to separate the two halves of the seat back from the base.  Then I cut some inserts from a sheet of ribbed polystyrene made for railway modelling (to replicate corrugated roofs).  The reverse side has more subtle ribbing that looks close enough to use for pleats.  The rear seat is moulded in place, which is a pain, but it's too much work to cut it out.   The areas surrounding the pleats will be built up with plastic card and shaped to give the effect of padding.  That's the plan, anyway.

50conv09-vi.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Back again.  The kit has a single exhaust, which is moulded into the chassis.   My first thought was to replace it with the separate dual exhausts from an AMT '49 Ford, but (a) I couldn't face cutting out the moulded-in one and (b) the convertible chassis has an X member to reinforce it, so I'd have to either cut holes in that or hack up the exhaust pipes into multiple pieces.   I decided to add a second pipe to mirror the original one.  I also extended the original tail pipe - I'll trim these later and add tubular tips.  The glare makes the white plastic look thicker than it is... it's not far off the original single pipe.

50conv10-vi.jpg

The pipes at the bottom are from a Revell '32 Ford street rod.  I'm being lazy and pinching the glasspack silencers (or mufflers if you like).

50conv11-vi.jpg

With the engine in place:

50conv12-vi.jpg

I've started on the body.  The badges and door handles are gone, and I've inserted some brass tubing to give me a starting point for frenching the headlights.  Ignore the lump on the bonnet - that's scrap sprue that I glued in to fill the hole for the hood ornament.  I've also cut the rear springs from the axle and added lowering blocks.  Here's a mock up.

50conv13-vi.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on to painting always feels like progress!   I sprayed the chassis matt black and picked out the chassis in semi gloss, although the artificial lighting here doesn't show much contrast...  I'll give it some light weathering once the drivetrain is in place.  The splash pan at the front still needs masking and spraying body colour.

cxCwepc.jpeg

• Like 5

I like the idea for the seats, looking forward to seeing the padding built up.  The exhausts are looking good too, I can't see the image of the body chassis mockup unfortunately.  Thanks for the info re the re release of the Nomad too will have to look out for that.

Chris