Reconnaissance (or Scouting for the hard of spelling) Chat

Hi there,

Thought I'd put up a proposal for a Recon group build - which could contain anything from air, land, sea or space designed to detect enemy activity - either covertly or patrol, scouting, visual and photo reconnaissance, electronic detection (AWACS).

No what-ifs, but built/evaluated prototypes - e.g. BV 141 would I guess make the cut. 

I'm thinking things like:

Air - aircraft (fixed and rotary wing) U2, SR-71 Blackbirds, photo-recon Spitfires, FAC Broncos and Cessnas, drones, FW-189 Uhu, etc. Maybe even early biplanes in WWI.

Land - recon AFVs and light tanks, mobile radar stations, scouting troops, etc.

Sea based - not too sure.., but patrol boats, submarines? Naval patrol aircraft, 

Space - spy satellites (if anyone knows what they look like).

People - recon units / individuals, special forces, etc.

1. Scargsy
  2. helios16v
  3. Chrisj2003
  4. Jabba
  5. Corsairfoxfouruncle
  6. Col.
  7. TEMPESTMK5
  8. desert falcon
  9. CliffB
  10. vppelt68
  11. zebra
  12. theplasticsurgeon
  13. Toryu
  14. Wez
  15. Bertie PSmith
  16. JOCKNEY
  17. Rafwaffe
  18. Filler
  19. Ravnos
  20. JeroenS
  21. reini
  22. Tim R-T-C
  23. Pin
  24. 81-er
  25. wellzy
  26. zegeye
  27. Richard Humm
  28. Marklo
  29. Torbjorn
  30. Roland Pulfrew
  31. DaveJL
  32. dnl42
  33. Adam Poultney
  34. stevehnz
  35. Tbolt

36. PeterB

37. ModelingEdmontonian

38. Jb65rams

39. Black Knight

40. TonyOD

41. Bertie McBoatface

42. Thom216

43. Wings unlevel

44. Bullbasket

45. Maginot

46. John Masters

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

If you'll include individual people I'll play

Sure I should have added those too, I'll update the description - anything in particular? I guess most special forces troops SAS, SBS, SEALs would qualify too.

Hmm I’d love to add a Fieseler Storch to the collection, ideally the Tamiya 1/48th, which goes for silly prices, or failing that the italeri French version, which I might manage to get for a more reasonable price . So count me in.

Would armoured cars fit the brief as  I wouldn’t mind an sdkfz 222 either.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Marklo said:

Hmm I’d love to add a Fieseler Storch to the collection, ideally the Tamiya 1/48th, which goes for silly prices, or failing that the italeri French version, which I might manage to get for a more reasonable price . So count me in.

Would armoured cars fit the brief as  I wouldn’t mind an sdkfz 222 either.

Yes armoured cars welcome, as well as not so armoured things e.g. for current UK forces - Land Rover WMIK, Jackal and Coyote TSV, all of which have weapons but pretty limited protection for the crew.

Guess I'm going to need to start a list on this thread!

That's an interesting idea. The first think that came to my mind was a 'Lurp' (Long Range Reconnaisence Patrol) in the Vietnam jungle. Closely followed by a score of photographic reconisance aircraft and then a Russian trawler bristling with aerials for electronic reconnnosence and then Napoleonic light cavalry vedettes. The field is vast!

• Like 1

Yes please @Scargsy, I've got a couple of ship-borne spotter aircraft that would hopefully fit the bill.

This also begs the question as to whether long range maritime patrol aircraft would qualify?

Cheers

Good idea, count me in. The stash is surprisingly light on recce types but options include an RB-57F, Mirage IIIR, one of the Chipmunks that flew recce flights along the Berlin corridor, Open Skies Tu-154M, Victor SR.2 and probably a few more.

On 07/01/2022 at 18:53, desert falcon said:

If helicopters would be welcomed, then I could possible do a German Tiger in Afghanistan disguise?

Cheers

Johnny b 

Rotary wing aircraft are welcome too.

On 08/01/2022 at 16:52, CliffB said:

Yes please @Scargsy, I've got a couple of ship-borne spotter aircraft that would hopefully fit the bill.

This also begs the question as to whether long range maritime patrol aircraft would qualify?

Cheers

Yes I guess all patrol type craft are eligible (land, sea, air).

On 08/01/2022 at 17:21, vppelt68 said:

I suppose (sorry for a wiki link only) these scouting forces https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_Air_Force_Scouting_Forces would fit the required definitions? Please add me to your list anyway! V-P

Anything attached to or used as a scouting unit would qualify by definition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1