Reconnaissance (or Scouting for the hard of spelling) Chat

6 hours ago, paul-muc said:

But Reconnaissance is not SAR.

You make a good point!

Reconnaissance is looking to see what might be out there, while the Search part  of SAR is more likely to be looking for something specific.  That is a bit different.

I guess it really depends on the definition of Reconnaissance-  it terms of the intent of this GB, does “recon” require the unspoken qualifier of “ for the enemy”?   

What about “Patrol”?    That is sort of a gray area in between Recon(looking for the enemy) and Search ( looking for a survivor or specific object.)

Is a PBY on an ASW patrol considered  “recon”?   

Is a modern Carrier’s E2-C Hawkeye  with its long range radar patrolling overhead doing recon?

Is a C-130 on International Ice Patrol (look for and report any icebergs threatening the shipping lanes) a recon flight?

Maybe the intent here is for “Military” recon/patrol/search.  

Maybe I’m just over-thinking this……🤔

Why not taking part in "The Salty Dog"?

Aircraft designed or adapted for the maritime environment:

Military aircraft of all kinds operating from carriers.

Flying boats, seaplanes and floatplanes, helicopters equipped to land on water, military or civilian. Ekranoplans! (I had to look it up!)

Anti-shipping aircraft - torpedo bombers, Coastal Command heavies, that kind of stuff (normally non-maritime subjects from notable sea-themed events such as the Lancasters flown on the Tirpitz raids most welcome)

Coastguard/air-sea rescue aircraft.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 01:33, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive got my build, the Airfix 1/72 U-2. Just need the Caracal decals now hopefully I can find a set somewhere. 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CD72065?result-token=KoBtD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Thank you Enzo, I think Caracal has them in stock as well and I need to check Sprue Bros. here in the states. I really only need one of the decal options so hate to really buy a whole sheet. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I really only need one of the decal options so hate to really buy a whole sheet. 

Wolfpak Decals did a few sheets which are still available from Fantasy Printshop.  However they are for the U-2R which is a very different aircraft. 

• Like 2

On 14/12/2022 at 02:04, RC Boater Bill said:

You make a good point!

Reconnaissance is looking to see what might be out there, while the Search part  of SAR is more likely to be looking for something specific.  That is a bit different.

I guess it really depends on the definition of Reconnaissance-  it terms of the intent of this GB, does “recon” require the unspoken qualifier of “ for the enemy”?   

What about “Patrol”?    That is sort of a gray area in between Recon(looking for the enemy) and Search ( looking for a survivor or specific object.)

Is a PBY on an ASW patrol considered  “recon”?   

Is a modern Carrier’s E2-C Hawkeye  with its long range radar patrolling overhead doing recon?

Is a C-130 on International Ice Patrol (look for and report any icebergs threatening the shipping lanes) a recon flight?

Maybe the intent here is for “Military” recon/patrol/search.  

Maybe I’m just over-thinking this……🤔

PBY would be eligible (ASW and the PB is 'Patrol Bomber').

E-2C Hawkeye - yes.

I'd say civilian use is probably where we need to draw a line, much as I like to hate to exclude builds and make things inclusive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scargsy said:

PBY would be eligible (ASW and the PB is 'Patrol Bomber').

E-2C Hawkeye - yes.

I'd say civilian use is probably where we need to draw a line, much as I like to hate to exclude builds and make things inclusive.

Sounds reasonable to me!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MickE said:

For my entry I've narrowed it down to either a Spitfire PRXI in Zircus Rosarius colours or a Hawker Typhoon PR.1b. Both are 1/48.

Or maybe both...?   You know you want to...   :wicked: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Browsing around, thinking of an AMX-10 for this build, somehow, one of these fell into a basket ...

a1373-boxtop.jpg

Image from @Mike's review, here:

I'll either use the Northamptonshire Yeomanry decals, or find an AM version.

The Cromwell first saw action in the Battle of Normandy in June 1944. The tank equipped the armoured reconnaissance regiments of the Royal Armoured Corps, in the 7th Armoured Division, 11th Armoured Division and the Guards Armoured Division. While the armoured regiments of the latter two divisions were equipped with M4 Shermans, the armoured regiments of the 7th Armoured Division were equipped with Cromwells.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwell_tank

12 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Or maybe both...?   You know you want to...   :wicked: 

I did think about that. I will probably start on the Hawker Typhoon first as it is a simpler conversion than the Spitfire.

• Like 2

I'm currently thinking

Hard mode - Eduard Me262 with Mark 1 Models resin camera bulges and possibly a Retrokit resin open engine part.

Easy mode - photo recon Spitfire, probably the pink Eduard Mk IXc, possibly with etch cockpit and vacform canopy.

Enzo mode - both!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I would like to join please. I have the 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito PR Mk IV ready to go. Guessing it will not be the only Mosquito.................

George

• Like 3

Looking through my stash, and giving serious thought to the KP Spitfire PRXI (or PRX as I have some other decals) and a Special Hobby Maryland. It was an FAA Maryland that found the Bismarck had put to sea in May 1941 and an RAF one that flew over Taranto prior to the FAA attack. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 3:21 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Might I inquire as to who's resin F-15 Reporter ? Its a type Ive wanted to do since the 1980’s and haven't yet been able to find a source for the bits ? 

Just saw this on the Rumourmonger...

• Thanks 1

In the armoured car GB, I am rapidly approaching completion on a Ferret Mk 2/3 scout car.  Having thoroughly enjoyed the build, I really want to build another Ferret.  Sadly, I don't have one in The Stash.

Airfix will be releasing an injection moulded kit "expected Summer 2023" which probably means we'll get our sticky paws on it in time for Christmas.  :shrug: 

• Like 2

I'm going to build just a recce Spitfire. I'm going to stay resistant to building anything else in this GB. Reading a Luftwaffe Aufklärer-unit history, while having a fresh Ju 88 kit also on the table, actually does not help me.

Now don't give me any of that, you know what, Enzo! The Junkers kit will we spared until -24 :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2