Reconnaissance (or Scouting for the hard of spelling) Chat

On 22/11/2022 at 02:33, Scargsy said:

Hi all sorry for the delay in response of late, just found out I'm being made redundant at work! Luckily it seems my skills are in demand though, so I've had lots of dealing with interviews / job agents, etc.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully things work out.

Chris

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 2:33 AM, Scargsy said:

Hi all sorry for the delay in response of late, just found out I'm being made redundant at work!

Sorry, I missed that! Hope you get sorted!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Would this be eligible? It’s not specifically a PR Spitfire, but served with a reconnaissance unit: 

spacer.png

That's a fab scheme, Tony, hope its eligible!

EDIT - there's a bit of info about GRII/33 on the Arma Hobby website relating to their F6 Mustang which says that the Mk.V Spits were used for visual reconnaissance, i.e. without cameras - here 

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Would this be eligible? It’s not specifically a PR Spitfire, but served with a reconnaissance unit: 

spacer.png

I suddenly feel the need to buy another Eduard Spitfire...

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

That's a fab scheme, Tony, hope its eligible!

EDIT - there's a bit of info about GRII/33 on the Arma Hobby website relating to their F6 Mustang which says that the Mk.V Spits were used for visual reconnaissance, i.e. without cameras - here

Thanks Mark. I found similar info on French Wikipedia. Seems perfectly eligible to me, but over to @Scargsy for the call. (If I get a green light it will be a double build with a Spitfire PR Mk XIX - a recce thoroughbred if ever there was one!)

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Thanks Mark. I found similar info on French Wikipedia. Seems perfectly eligible to me, but over to @Scargsy for the call. (If I get a green light it will be a double build with a Spitfire PR Mk XIX - a recce thoroughbred if ever there was one!)

Looks like GRII/33 also later operated some Mk.IXs with similar markings.

I'm very taken with the distinctive yellow ID markings - I feel a 1/72 version in my future :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looks like GRII/3 also later operated some Mk.IXs with similar markings.

It appears one of them is an OOB option on the new Airfix 1/24 Mk IX 🇫🇷

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the job - all very stressful. Hopefully you will come out of it level or better…

I managed to build two Henschel 126s in the Matchbox GB earlier this year, so it’s probably time I built another, an Airfix one in Winter camouflage this time. I might have a go at fixing the wing shape too. The observer is holding a bloomin’ great camera over the side as well so that should settle any disputes over eligibility!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

On 11/22/2022 at 5:55 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The O in OV-1 stood for "observation".  In my book that's scouting and recce.

That's an interesting observation @Enzo the Magnificent , ('liked' by @Scargsy also), I have a Bronco Valentine Mk.IX(OP) tank in the cupboard. The OP stands for Observation Post. The obsolescent Vallys were attached to artillery regiments for use as mobile, armoured, OPs to direct fire onto the enemy in comparative safety. Safety compared to a bloke in a jeep anyway. 

The FAC type aircraft like the Mohawk of course performed a similar role in Vietnam, directing 'flying artillery' fire onto the enemy.

May I therefore presume that my Mk.IX is eligible for the GB? 

On 23/11/2022 at 11:07, TonyOD said:

spacer.png

I think I stipulated anything attached to a recon or observation unit before so yes.

5 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

That's an interesting observation @Enzo the Magnificent , ('liked' by @Scargsy also), I have a Bronco Valentine Mk.IX(OP) tank in the cupboard. The OP stands for Observation Post. The obsolescent Vallys were attached to artillery regiments for use as mobile, armoured, OPs to direct fire onto the enemy in comparative safety. Safety compared to a bloke in a jeep anyway. 

The FAC type aircraft like the Mohawk of course performed a similar role in Vietnam, directing 'flying artillery' fire onto the enemy.

May I therefore presume that my Mk.IX is eligible for the GB? 

Yes the OV-1 Bronco, Cessna O-1 or O-2, not sure how far I'd go with the more fighter jet FACs listed on Wikipedia (F-100, F-4 Phantom) unless there was some provenance (e.g. markings for a FAC role).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scargsy said:

I think I stipulated anything attached to a recon or observation unit before so yes.

Yes the OV-1 Bronco, Cessna O-1 or O-2, not sure how far I'd go with the more fighter jet FACs listed on Wikipedia (F-100, F-4 Phantom) unless there was some provenance (e.g. markings for a FAC role).

I may have confused the issue. My question was about the acceptability of the valentine mk.IX observation post TANK, not the observation aircraft. 

23 minutes ago, Scargsy said:

Awesome. Double build it is then.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I may have confused the issue. My question was about the acceptability of the valentine mk.IX observation post TANK, not the observation aircraft. 

Sorry Bertie - I got the wrong end of the stick there.

Yeah the OP variant would be acceptable, according to wikipedia:

Valentine OP / Command

Artillery Observation Post and Command Vehicle; extra radios, to give more space inside, the gun was removed and a dummy barrel fitted to the front of the turret. Used by battery commanders and observation post for Archer units.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 81-er said:

I've got my build planned, using the CMK conversion set on the Tamoya P-38G to model Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's F-5A

Same unit as my French recce Spitfire, as it happens!

• Like 4

On 11/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, TonyOD said:

I’m not a Spit lover - sorry - but that is a beauty, Tony :). I’d be tempted!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I’m not a Spit lover - sorry - but that is a beauty, Tony :). I’d be tempted!

It's certainly one I'd like to do in 1/72nd using the recent Airfix Vc

• Like 4