PK-75 Humber Mk II Armoured Car 1/76 (Revell reboxing)

Placeholder for my build. This is the latest reboxing 03289 by Revell.

My new years resolution is to build more kits than I buy - this cheeky little number was purchased on new years eve (and a SR-71 Blackbird), lets see if I can keep to that!

Hopefully fairly simple, the box suggests 65 parts and a whopping 6.5cm finished model (which I imagine doesn't contain the diorama base size) - definately something that might fit in a Matchbox!

I'll be doing a straight OOB build, hopefully it will be quick and fun rather than time consuming, though I might need to get my glasses prescription checked at this scale!

I do like these old Matchbox 1/76 AFVs with the diorama bases, had fun as a kid with them and recently doing a Panzer II though the tiny elastic band tracks were interesting - luckily this isn't tracked!

• Like 6

Just catching up on some of these new threads, boy there’s been some activity in the last few days - must do something about that day job! 

This little Humber should take next to no time, however I’m sure you’ll enjoy every short moment building it. It’s definitely one of those Matchbox armour kits that I should own myself and even the little Dingo scout would be a fun build (don’t really want Monty’s Caravan though). 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

don’t really want Monty’s Caravan though

Ah, but then you use the Leyland Retriever cab and chassis, and transplant the Coles crane from the Airfix RAF Recovery set…

At least, that’s what I did back in the good old days. I think I still have the caravan back end in my Bits Box somewhere!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Ah, but then you use the Leyland Retriever cab and chassis, and transplant the Coles crane from the Airfix RAF Recovery set…

Now thats an idea? Perhaps I should source one of these sets after all. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

So here are the usual bits shots...

spacer.png

Side opening box, colour instruction booklet, 2 sprues in a poly bag and a tiny sheet of decals (a welcome relief after all the stencils and complex rally decals I've been doing of late).

spacer.png

The sprues are oddly labelled B and C (I wonder what A was?), pretty chunky moulding for the scale but I guess that's expected with the age of the kit. A lot of the parts have the numbers directly moulded into them and I guess where the old Matchbox label info was (on the interior of the hull) appears to have been obscured by Revell.

So I couldn't help myself and decided to make a start...

spacer.png

Instruction 1 down and I must say the fit isn't too bad (helped I guess by these days having Tamiya extra-thin, meaning I can hold the parts together for 30 seconds or so whilst the glue sets and get a tight fit).

At this point I went off script, jump a few steps ahead and decided to fit the top plate to the hull...

spacer.png

I'd initially tried to get the rotating part connected underneath using the B4 part but the Tamiya glue wicks up and was gluing everything, so I decided to separate the parts - I will keep the turret separate for painting and glue it into position once finished, that will probably make painting easier anyhow.

• Like 9

Beware of the markings in this latest boxing. The captured version is actually a Mk IV with a different turret. One of the others is for a UK vehicle. I wish Revell had actually included some of the original desert markings for this kit. 

• Like 3

I have sheets of 1/76 British armour decs - unit badges, formation(Arm of Service) numbers, serials etc which seem to be missing from your dec sheet, so if you get stuck give me a list of what you need and I might be able to help. If you want an idea of what I mean the various tanks I built in the "Anything but Injection" GB might be useful.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

On 12/01/2022 at 08:54, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice start to this lHumber @Scargsy, it looks to be a wee little kit and I’m sure will build up most quickly. Plenty of time to add another! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Tempting - built plenty of Matchbox kits as a young un, I seem to remember you could even pick them up in the newsagents in the village where I lived - but I'm planning on entering about 9 other GBs this year (possibly 10 if I decide to do a MiG) and at least 2 of those I have plans for multiple builds, worried I'm going to burn myself out!

OK so onwards...

The rest of the parts built up very quickly and easily - though maybe with the exception of trying to manipulate the tiny lights, though I got them on without losing them with a bit of help from some blutac to help hold/manipulate them.

spacer.png

With that - it was time to get everything ready for some primer, there was a fair amount of seam line round the wheels and over the top of the commander figure.

spacer.png

I decided to use some Mr Surfacer, mixed approx 50:50 with self-levelling thinner. This is my go-to primer these days, an absolute pleasure to use and very forgiving for me hosing it on, I have multiple colours but decided I'd go for their mahogany as a base colour, should work well for mud/shadow colour later...

spacer.png

Luckily the hole for the turret is just the right size to stick one of the crocodile clip poles in (I have one where the clip has fallen off), however it did fall off mid painting and the the hull hit the dusty floor of the garage, but luckily I think I got away without damage / fluff / spiders getting embroiled!

spacer.png

I think I'm going to go with a North Africa based vehicle for the colour scheme @PeterB can you help advise if the decals are in anyway useable - e.g. I know 'F' denotes an armoured car, just wondering if the number can be butchered around to make a realistic number or any others are useable? I do have some decal paper somewhere so could print something off (white is obviously a problem in a standard inkjet, but I could possibly put a tiny white decal underneath) and I'm not sure if the resolution is going to be fine enough at this scale, but I can try!

• Like 6

So it's a bit further along - I decided to brush paint it with some Vallejo air paint - it's thin but three coats and it's pretty much good to go. I tried to modulate the colours a little (mainly British Light Stone, but modulated with lighter tones for the top and darker ones for the bottom).

spacer.png

The puddle I put some clear 'still' water in, though the paint on the edges was a little too wet and I seem to have left some bubbles! I may add a second layer.

In the end I placed the kit decals on - since I'm just doing a straight OOB build.

I think I can see where Revell got the number mix-up from for the vehicle, I think they were basing it on the following picture on WW2 DB...

https://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=8380

It's a bit hard to see the exact number there, if only they had bothered to do a few minutes extra research and follow it to the original source (mentioned on previous one) they would have got to the original image in the Imperial War Museum collection...

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205198282

Seems the number should be F26991, not F28901 though the vehicle appears to be in the UK judging by the trees in the background - although in a light colour?

Anyhow I'm not going for full historical accuracy in this build and I can barely read the number at this scale...

spacer.png

So maybe a bit of light weathering, maybe try and get the earth tones better on the diorama base and it's done. Fun little build.

• Like 9

Sorry - a bit late picking this up so you might not want to bother - my computer is not always picking up quotes etc. This is what I said on the build thread for another of these by I think 825-

"Not that it all that important but as to the markings, according to my references the serial/census number 28901 was in fact a Universal carrier (CT28901 to be precise). There was a batch of Humber Mk I F26621- 26920 and a batch of Mk II F26921 - 27120 so maybe at some point is was mis-read? Like I said it is a nice little kit. My original Matchbox release has a small black serial number F 61365 which fits nicely into the range F 61184 - 61373 shown as Humber Mk II on my list. It carries an Arm of Service marking of 76 on a green/white background - should be green/blue I believe but is otherwise correct for an Armoured Car Regiment in the Middle East between late 1941 until the invasion of Italy, and it appears to have the rhino marking of 1st Armoured Division as well. Looks like Matchbox did their research and got it mostly right, perhaps unlike Revell. However Revell have also copied Matchbox in having the AOS marking on the offside at the front (correct) and the onside at the rear (wrong) - officially it should be on the offside at both ends but then instructions were not always obeyed. As to the AOS 47 that Ian mentioned, according to Dick Taylor's book that was indeed an Armoured Car Regiment belonging to 2nd Armoured Brigade and its support units in Europe from 1941-42, but again the background colour should be green/blue - brown represents the 3rd or "junior" brigade HQ in a division.

As I discovered when bulding my Airfix Bofors gun in the "Interceptors" GB then a load of resin tanks in the "Anything but Injection one, markings on British vehicles in WWII were quite complicated and changed from time to time and theatre to theatre, and in this case it seems that an upgrade to the decs by Revell was not an improvement! The original kit provided markings for 12 Royal Lancers in 1942 which is the one I have done, together with one from 5RTR serial F26982. Revell just say theirs are from 8th Army".

So the short answer is that the kit decs are wrong. The good news is that you can print a small black serial number so that is a lot better than white - they were white in Europe over Green but when in the desert they were either overpainted or reapplied in black more often that white AFAIK. As to the unit and AOS markings I can probably let you have some, together with some pics of my Matchbox original showing where they go if you send me a PM with your postal address. When I did my Millicast tanks in the "Anything but Injection" I ended up printing some of the unit and AOS on white decal paper, painting round them in camo colour, cutting them out with a scalpel wearing my Optiviser clone, and then blending them in with a very fine brush, but in this case I think I have a couple of sheets of Aleran decs with the appropriate markings on - like the old Modeldecal ones they have a continuous sheet of decal film so you have to cut them out individually and they are tiny but it can be done. If you want to see what they are like have a look on the Millicast website under Aleran decs - about page 3 or 4 - British North Africa units and Arm of Service.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...