SMER Macchi MC-200 1/50

Sorry haven't been around much. Personal life been getting in the way. 

Managed a little SMER kit, I like these as they're cheap, require considerable clean up, have plenty of wiggle room for scratch building. An build to test your skills. Can't always be Tamiya rainbows. 

I put the tail decals on wrong, the dark earth is too dark and I've over dobe the chipping on the wing. Oh well, lessons learned. 

Really enjoyed this little kit. Going to do the Italeri S.79 in 1/72 next. I've kind of fallen into an Italian camouflage rabbit hole. 

20220106_133633 20220106_133641 20220106_133727 20220106_133742

Thanks for looking 🐧

• Like 36

I don't know about overdoing the chipping. I have a reference book for the Italian aircraft pre-43 and at times is explicitly shows how badly maintained the paintwork was in some Italian squadrons. We're not talking Japanese levels of chipping but on some aircraft it was getting close. 

• Like 1

I've just purchased a 1:72 Hobbyboss MC200, (one of those easybuild ones) on the strength of your colour scheme above (which is also catered for in the HB kit) so I'm looking forward to using your benchmark to test myself with the painting. 👍

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Whistlekiller said:

I've just purchased a 1:72 Hobbyboss MC200, (one of those easybuild ones) on the strength of your colour scheme above (which is also catered for in the HB kit) so I'm looking forward to using your benchmark to test myself with the painting. 👍

Dont hold me in high regard 😂

I used bluetac to make the blobs before spraying. I wish I'd have used a lighter earth tone.

But thanks for your kind words. 👍

Edited by FPDPenguin
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2022 at 2:18 AM, FPDPenguin said:

Dont hold me in high regard 😂

I used bluetac to make the blobs before spraying. I wish I'd have used a lighter earth tone.

But thanks for your kind words. 👍

I'm considering the white-tac approach. You've managed to get a decent amount of variation in the blobs so, although my model (it turned up today) is a lot smaller, it seems the logical way to go. Do you mind me asking you what paints you used? I could probably get by with some of what I've got but would be particularly interested in the underside and the green shades. The Hobby Boss kit, while incredibly simple to assemble looks very well engineered so it'll make a nice change not to have to spend too long messing about putting it together before I can get on with the painting. Of course now, I have my eye on a FLY Fiat G.50bis and an Italeri Fiat CR.42. It's all going downhill fast..........😂

• Like 1

On 09/01/2022 at 19:15, Whistlekiller said:

I'm considering the white-tac approach. You've managed to get a decent amount of variation in the blobs so, although my model (it turned up today) is a lot smaller, it seems the logical way to go. Do you mind me asking you what paints you used? I could probably get by with some of what I've got but would be particularly interested in the underside and the green shades. The Hobby Boss kit, while incredibly simple to assemble looks very well engineered so it'll make a nice change not to have to spend too long messing about putting it together before I can get on with the painting. Of course now, I have my eye on a FLY Fiat G.50bis and an Italeri Fiat CR.42. It's all going downhill fast..........😂

I used revell aqua light grey on the underside, sprayed the upper with tamiya dark earth (though I wish I'd used something lighter) and the green was vallejo olive camo (I think) 

I did the flashback cr. 42 some time ago, but chickened out on the Italian camo and did is a German machine. 

I'll be adding a G.50/55 soon. I'm currently working on the italeri S.79 Sparviero 

Edit: I tried vallejo desert yellow on a scrap bit of plastic, and it looks much better than the tamiya dark earth 

Edited by FPDPenguin
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

I used revell aqua light grey on the underside, sprayed the upper with tamiya dark earth (though I wish I'd used something lighter) and the green was vallejo olive camo (I think) 

I did the flashback cr. 42 some time ago, but chickened out on the Italian camo and did is a German machine. 

I'll be adding a G.50/55 soon. I'm currently working on the italeri S.79 Sparviero 

Edit: I tried vallejo desert yellow on a scrap bit of plastic, and it looks much better than the tamiya dark earth 

Cheers for that! Predictably, I now have my beady eye on a FLY Fiat G.50, an Italeri Fiat CR.42 and a Hobby2000 Macchi C.202. I really ought to divert funds towards a bigger display cabinet but it isn't as much fun. 🤣 ATB, Rich'

• Like 1