Hi guys,

I got these on a well known auction site a few years ago, a pair of F-5s without boxes or decals. I am planning to build both at the same time, one of which will be finished as a Norwegian machine and the other to be finished in the future (when I figure out what I am going to do with it). This was one of the first Matchbox kits I built so it should bring back some good memories.

Dave

IMG_20220106_130826

• Like 14

I've never had this F-5 kit, however do remember seeing built up examples in the Matchbox Catalogues of the day and thinking that the intakes were solid items (.i.e - not open).  Is that actually the case with this kit? 

Having two is doubly good and we'll look forward to seeing your progress very shortly. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a small start and painted the pilots, cockpits and assembled the fuselages. Some serious attention is required on the seams then I can start attaching the wings etc.

On 1/7/2022 at 2:35 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

thinking that the intakes were solid items

They are open for about 3/4 inch, I will put up a pic when I start assembling them.

IMG_20220115_131639

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So many nostalgia kicks in this GB! Glad to see an F-5 Dave. I built several of these as a youngster, I think I was pleased at not having to join a pair of separate wings to the fuselage, since they were molded in one piece! And this was at the stage before any of my models were painted! Cheers!

On 2/2/2022 at 11:39 AM, Rob S said:

@Rabbit Leader looks like this was Number 100. 

But it also looks like at least one build was transferred over from somewhere else at a later date but retained it’s original start date (predating the GB). 

Thanks for doing the back counting Rob. Yes, we’ve had a previous GB’s Skyservant thread enter the fray and that retained its original thread start date. It took me a while to catch this and provide the official welcoming. 
Cheers.. Dave 

On 1/7/2022 at 2:35 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

thinking that the intakes were solid items

The intakes are open to where they join the fuselage:

IMG_20220203_114034

The jetpipes are however solid. Both have now been added to the fuselage and liberal amounts of filler applied. Wings and tailplane next.

IMG_20220209_104050

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress, but the pair of early mark Mig-28s are taking shape. I am surprised how much filler has been required so far compared to other Matchbox kits but they look ok to my eye so far.

IMG_20220220_111348

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress in that all the filling is finally done and a coat of primer applied. I need to drill out the gun ports and add some barrels as it looks wrong without them. The twins have now been separated as the other F-5 will be finished in RNLAF colours at later date, whereas this one will be a Norwegian machine.

IMG_20220306_105441

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Now painted and adorned with some of Modeldecal's finest. Just the wingtip tanks and undercarriage to be attached then a final coat to be applied.

IMG_20220328_133048

• Like 5

....and finished. There are a couple of blemishes which I haven't addressed properly including one annoying one on it's belly, but it scrubs up pretty well. I quite like the finish of the Xtracolor Duraluminium for the natural metal, and there was no way I was going to attempt the different tones at this stage. It should look ok nestling on my shelf.

Dave

IMG_20220403_145143 IMG_20220403_145132 IMG_20220403_145240 IMG_20220403_145152 IMG_20220403_145215

• Like 5

• 2 months later...