Italeri 2022 catalogue - new, reissue, repop, rebox etc.

Homebee

30 minutes ago, hopkp said:

Anyone know the original source of the tooling - Hasegawa? Depending on the price it might be worth getting just for the decal sheet, some nice colour schemes there.

It’s based on the 1/48 ESCI Phantom kit. It’s definitely not Hasegawa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hopkp said:

Anyone know the original source of the tooling - Hasegawa? Depending on the price it might be worth getting just for the decal sheet, some nice colour schemes there.

Umpteenth rebox from the Italeri's original RF-4E/C  kit from the 80s.

RF4.png

See also: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235098063-italeri-148th-rf-4ce-photo-phantom-ii/

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Umpteenth rebox from the Italeri's original RF-4E/C  kit from the 80s.

RF4.png

See also: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235098063-italeri-148th-rf-4ce-photo-phantom-ii/

V.P.

If you look at the sprue layout you can see this new reissue is based on the ESCI kit, not the earlier Italeri kit. The most recent reissue of the 1980 Italeri kit in an Italeri box was back in 2000. It also appeared in Testors boxes.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/2/9/1/203291-87-instructions.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice release from Italeri.  What a nice decal sheet ! 

Obviously, it is not the Hasegawa/Tamiya/ZM Phantom type, nonetheless, I find these ESCI Phantoms easy to build and most importantly, they are cheaper than the Tamiya and hard-to-find Hasegawa kits.    

2 minutes ago, quangster said:

So… what happened to this? Or is it a …mirage?

CA780-F20-1-B70-47-D6-ACA8-E03-A0-F9-D90

I believe that's next year now, along with the much awaited 1/72nd AMX 🤞

I prefer the Hasegawa RF-4B/C/E, but I will hand it to Italeri, that decal sheet is fetching.  Hasegawa could learn a thing or two from the Italians on how they package their decals.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

I prefer the Hasegawa RF-4B/C/E, but I will hand it to Italeri, that decal sheet is fetching.  Hasegawa could learn a thing or two from the Italians on how they package their decals.  

To be honest, lots of companies could learn from how Italeri uses decals as a selling point. I've reviewed the Italeri kits I've bought over the last 5 years or so, and for almost all of them, the decal sheet was a significant factor in my decision to buy, and in many cases, it was the overriding reason*.  In fact, I've just ordered the re-release of the ESCI F-5A, mentioned in this thread a few months ago. Yes, its a excellent kit, and I already have quite a few in the stash. But one look at that decal sheet made it a no-brainer to get yet another.

*The corollary to that is if it weren't for the decal sheets, I'd be buying very few Italeri kits. Even with those wonderful decal sheets, I'm still buying less Italeri kits than I did when the company was consistently churning out new and interesting kits in the 1980s and 1990s.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, klr said:

But one look at that decal sheet made it a no-brainer to get yet another.

As long as you're aware that the shade of blue on the Dutch option (possibly the Norwegian as well) is way off. 

I got this one purely for the decal sheet as well.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

The kit by todays standards comes up a bit short, especially compared to the Hasegawa RF-4 kits.  It can however be built into a very nice model.  Back in the "day" when ESCI first introduced this kit, we'd combine parts from the Monogram F-4C/J kits with the ESCI (which had engraved details which the Monogram kit did not have) to build very impressive models.   Glad to see Italeri re-releasing this kit, and I too love the decal sheet.  Another impressive release from Italeri 

Edited by redracer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hook said:

As long as you're aware that the shade of blue on the Dutch option (possibly the Norwegian as well) is way off. 

I got this one purely for the decal sheet as well.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks for the heads-up. To be honest, it was the Bolivian and South Vietnamese options that interested me most.

3 hours ago, klr said:

Thanks for the heads-up. To be honest, it was the Bolivian and South Vietnamese options that interested me most.

Bolivia never flew the F-5A - there is a nice Venezolean option in the recent rebox, though.

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Hook said:

Bolivia never flew the F-5A - there is a nice Venezolean option in the recent rebox, though.

Cheers,

Andre

Ah, I see where I went astray. The instructions just say "... Bolivariana ..", leaving out the all-important "... de Venezuela". Still, it's another South American air force, something I don't have enough of.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, redracer said:

The kit by todays standards comes up a bit short, especially compared to the Hasegawa RF-4 kits.  It can however be built into a very nice model.  Back in the "day" when ESCI first introduced this kit, we'd combine parts from the Monogram F-4C/J kits with the ESCI (which had engraved details which the Monogram kit did not have) to build very impressive models.   Glad to see Italeri re-releasing this kit, and I too love the decal sheet.  Another impressive release from Italeri 

This a very interesting idea, redracer.  I have 3 Monogram kits in my stash...Thanks !

14 hours ago, klr said:

Ah, I see where I went astray. The instructions just say "... Bolivariana ..", leaving out the all-important "... de Venezuela". Still, it's another South American air force, something I don't have enough of.

Italeri is not entirely to blame for the confusion:

"The organization is also known as the Bolivarian National Air Force of Venezuela. Its current official name has been in use since the end of 2008. It was previously called the Venezuelan Air Force (FAV; Spanish: Fuerza Aérea Venezolana)."

Cheers,

Andre

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...