Skunkmodels Workshop Flightdeck section

Stefan Buysse

Hi,

This one was started in the Christmas Blitzbuild GB.

Since then, I have finished painting the part under the Jet Blast Deflectors white and I have maked it off.

I noticed in the instructions for the markings that apart from the decals, there is also a yellow line that is to be painted.

fYIcX7y.jpg

I have many started models that I could enter in this GB.

The 1/144 Beverley, the 1/72 F-4B and the 1/72 Phantom FG1 will probably follow.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 2

Hi,

If I were to build another one of these, I would do it a bit differently. 

As you can see, I tried making sub-assemblies of the deck sections by clamping them together and leaving them upside-down on a flat surface.

There are gaps between the sub-assemblies when try to fit them together. Also, the sub-assemblies do not come out perfectly even.

In hindsight, I think it would have been better to glue all the deck sections together in one go, keeping the ability to adjust them before the glue sets.

I would leave the topside-up on an even surface to set. 

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 2

Hi,

I've had a look at the instructions and some reference pictures. The yellow line that I have to paint goes all the way around the JBD's.

In some reference pictures, the deck had become so dirty that the yellow line around the JBD's was hard to make out.

I had looked at the cartograf printed decal sheet and thought that everything was there. Painting that yellow line is no problem for me, but had I realised it before I might not have entered the model in the Blitzbuild GB.

Masking over just painted areas is probably one of the things that causes delays in Blitzbuilds.

I hope to add some worthwhile photo's soon. 

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

This is the flightdeck section glued together, with below it the Tamiya part that comes with the late F-14A launch kit (kit 61122).

wdV7MyA.jpg

Now, I'm going to paint white dots on the tie-down points. Then spray some Future and add decals.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi,

The flight-deck section is finally finished.

Painting the white dots around the tie-down points did not well. They came out slightly different in shape and size. An attempt to correct that by brush-painting around them made it all look even more awful.

I then resprayed the whole thing and applied decals without doing the white dots. I believe they can become covered in dirt on a real deck too.

This means I'll have the weather the decals a bit too, but I wanted to show what the decal look like.

Applying these is not entirely easy either. It's probably best to use making tape as a guide to allign the white stripes and mark down the distance between stripes.

Considering that I pretty much went by sight, it turned out OK.

JloJ7Yd.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.  

• Like 2