1/72 - Encore - Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a - XZ - B

Another kit that I bought for a reasonable price off E bay; from a local chap. Quite a lot of different decals in the kit; for different aircraft. Have to admit there did seem to be decals that you used for which ever kit you made; which I have kept for a more detailed build later However, seeing these are practice runs, I thought I would use the round-alls and the large decals for the Portuguese Spitfire; on the sides of the fuselage and wings. I went with the Portuguese Spitfire as I always like to do something a little different; even if I dont know to much about the subject.  Also it gives me a chance to look into something that I know absolutely nothing about and expand my knowledge a little more. I see there is a very interesting book on the subject  of which if I ever decide to look into this subject again, I might look into. For now I hope you like my fifth kit and the first one of this year. Cheers.

Problems with the build included uneven wings and flimsy undercarriage. Decals were so thin that they tore on contact to the model and very little movement was done. I think the biggest thing Ill take away from this build is the use of elmers glue to stick the canopy on; so it did not fog.

Gapping gap on the wing near the fuselage, which will be rendered correct on the next Spitfire build, which as the same problem 

PS - the antenna as been added since

That gap is bad

spacer.png

Really enjoyed doing the paint scheme on this which was a mix of different paints from Vallejo sets.

spacer.png

The dark green is from the RAF Battle of Britain paint set and the underneath and grey areas on the top of the plane are from Vallejos US Navy & USMC paint set

spacer.png

Think she is ready for take off

spacer.png

Tried a new support method to photograph the underneath of the aircraft with out damaging or hanging the finished kit in some odd position

spacer.png

Not to noticeable, however the undercarriage came away a couple of times until I stuck it with Gorilla glue.

spacer.png

Also another add to this build is also an improvement on the photography. However, thats a personal thing. You either like it or you dont.

spacer.png

Most start to use a different display board. Think Ive used this about four times now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge
My pictures need to be re-embedded as they keep disappearing.
  • Like 13

12 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Very interesting colour scheme, may I suggest you get some filler for the wing gap, that should cure the problem !

Wulfman

Hi Wulfman. Thanks for the interest in the kit build and the comments. The colour scheme was the closest I could get, with what Ive got, to the scheme that was on the following website, which seemed to be Dark Green and Grey. :wonder:

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/52/11/0#2

Your suggestion as been noted and I acted on purchasing some AK Interactive - Modelling Putty; it should be here Friday, with luck. Seeing as this is a practice kit I might take the chance of striping things back and filling the gap then re paint it; as a repair project. If that makes sense :nod:.

Out of curiosity, could I ask what you would recommend as a putty and why you use it ?

Cheers 

• Like 1

Great strides! The Elmer glue for the canopy worked very well, apparently and the finish looks really good!

I hope that you got the kit very cheap – it's a rerun ("Encore" = one more tim) of one of the most ancient Spitfire kits ever, if I'm not wrong. Airfix' first, maybe? Sometime mid century?

Anyway, good work! For your next project, I'd suggest a slightly more recent kit with reasonable fit of parts. It makes modelling more fun!

Kind regards,

Joachim

On 1/6/2022 at 12:08 PM, Spitfire31 said:

Great strides! The Elmer glue for the canopy worked very well, apparently and the finish looks really good!

I hope that you got the kit very cheap – it's a rerun ("Encore" = one more tim) of one of the most ancient Spitfire kits ever, if I'm not wrong. Airfix' first, maybe? Sometime mid century?

Anyway, good work! For your next project, I'd suggest a slightly more recent kit with reasonable fit of parts. It makes modelling more fun!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for the input Joachim. Yes the Elmers glue is great. Takes a while for it to set but when its does the job, it does a great job. I was making all sorts of screw ups before. However, read some one had used it on here and thought go for it.

The kit was only a few pounds; so yes it was cheap. I see where you are coming from in what you are saying. Ive built up a small stash and Iam working through them so that I am leaving the better and newer builds till I have a bit more experience. Ive started with all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff and then Iam working up to more modern, hopefully better tooled kits. 

Thanks for the encouragement. This kit was fun, and there is always the chance to strip it back and re do it. However, it might be better to move on and then look back on this and see if Ive improved.

Ive other kits to work on but I have done an Encore Spitfire, Iam working on a SMER spitfire, I have Airfix spitfire to do, then a Revell Spitfire that has a Yahu Instrument panel up grade and then a AZ spitfire that came with a BILEK photo ecth upgrade with it. Think that will be the last on my list and hopefully the best. We shall see.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

STUNNING  looking  Spitfire. 

Portuguese  scheme  is Fascinating. 

:wow:

:goodjob:

:worthy:

Thanks Houston, you are being way to nice to me, but Ill take the compliment. :yahoo:. I love the look of the Portuguese Spitfire and took some time to do some research on it. Things might not be exact at the moment, but its early days. Thought it would be good to do something different with this Spitfire. The next one will be an American spit in tropical camouflage, then a spit that flown by a Danish pilot, then two spits both of which will be Polish. Should keep me busy for a while. Cheers. 

22 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

I believe the Encore Spitfire is the Heller kit re-boxed.

The painting and panel highlighting looks good.

You might be right, someone a little earlier said it was a rerun. I will have a look into it and see. Is there anything on scale mates about the kit ?

That is a really attractive build!  The spitfire looks nice in Portuguese markings and I think the paint colors are fine.  You did a nice job painting it!

Elmer's glue works fine, but if you should ever need something stronger that dries completely clear, I like to use "Micro Krystal Klear".  I like to use it not only for canopies but for ordinance and antenna masts because it has a very slight amount of give, so if I knock an antenna mast off, it tends to stay attached, or at least doesn't go very far.  With other glues that set up rock hard, they tend to give way suddenly and your antenna mast is propelled a couple feet and often lost.  Hope this is useful.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 11:46 PM, opus999 said:

That is a really attractive build!  The spitfire looks nice in Portuguese markings and I think the paint colors are fine.  You did a nice job painting it!

Elmer's glue works fine, but if you should ever need something stronger that dries completely clear, I like to use "Micro Krystal Klear".  I like to use it not only for canopies but for ordinance and antenna masts because it has a very slight amount of give, so if I knock an antenna mast off, it tends to stay attached, or at least doesn't go very far.  With other glues that set up rock hard, they tend to give way suddenly and your antenna mast is propelled a couple feet and often lost.  Hope this is useful.

Thanks very much for the wonderful comments on the build and the great information provided.. I have heard of the particular product you mention and like the idea of it having, as you mention, slight give. Its often that which is the difference between success and disaster. Ill take your advice on board as i never know when it will come in useful. Thanks for your time and cheers. 

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 1

• Valleyforge changed the title to 1/72 - Encore - Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a - XZ - B