Shakey hands.....

Dunc2610

Had no idea where to post this, but I'm assuming I'm not the only one who struggles with the odd bit of shakey handism? How do people model when the hands won't quite hold still enough to apply, hold a model, adhere parts? Just after some advice/hints/tips/tool options really as its incredibly annoying at times, and I'm not even that old 🤣

I’ve had shaky hands since a kid, even then my parents were amazed at how I could build detailed models.  When needed I rest my hands on some support, blocks, books or whatever as needed - or my other hand, this needs some separate item to hold the model itself.  

The shakes come and go, I think they’re worse when tired or stressed.  Sometimes when “in the zone” for modelling there’s no sign whilst equally in such moments I may have to divert to less critical parts of the build.
In my case I suspect it’s some kind of inherited mild form of “essential tremor”, both my dad and grandma had it.  The best thing is not to have your cup of tea with a saucer; the rattling cup is too much of a mirth-inducer for the most supportive of family!

I hope this helps, I suspect there will be quite a few on the forum dealing with this issue in varying degrees.

Cheers

Will

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, malpaso said:

I’ve had shaky hands since a kid, even then my parents were amazed at how I could build detailed models.  When needed I rest my hands on some support, blocks, books or whatever as needed - or my other hand, this needs some separate item to hold the model itself.  

The shakes come and go, I think they’re worse when tired or stressed.  Sometimes when “in the zone” for modelling there’s no sign whilst equally in such moments I may have to divert to less critical parts of the build.
In my case I suspect it’s some kind of inherited mild form of “essential tremor”, both my dad and grandma had it.  The best thing is not to have your cup of tea with a saucer; the rattling cup is too much of a mirth-inducer for the most supportive of family!

I hope this helps, I suspect there will be quite a few on the forum dealing with this issue in varying degrees.

Cheers

Will

I think like you it's inherited, my dad has always had unsteady hands for as long as I can remember. Incredibly frustrating at time when you go to paint or glue something at at that moment... Tremor... Cue glue/paint applied somewhere it shouldnt be! 😂 

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

I’m in my early 20’s and got the shakes it’s scary because I’m a sparky! But the best thing I found was to hold a tool with your dominant hand and then you can stabilise it with the other hand like this: 
spacer.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Control coffee (and tea and Red Bull) consumption.

Do not run around the lake in the morning when you plan to need a steady hand later that day.

Have your fill of sleep.

Don't argue with your wife/gf/..., don't watch the news .

Check all the other hints and tell us if anything was of any help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...

Anyone who saw any of my models would instantly know I have shaky hands😜. Seriously tho, it's only become a very real problem in the last coupla/three years, to the point I can't model at all (along with other factors).

However, previous to that I would agree with the chap above that suggest an artists maul stick. It's basically a rest for your wrist/hand. Another thing you can try is to take a 24 inch long, flat piece of wood about 2 or 3 inches wide. At either end put a longish bolt through several differing thickness blocks with a butterfly nut. That enables you to build up or reduce the height. When placed against most models it allows you to slide along whilst painting etc.

There are many other ways out there, including shouting/swearing/beating it till it stops, etc. You'll find one that works.

Best of luck

Pete

• Thanks 1

I have shaky left hand. I once thought it was essential tremor or such like but now diagnosed as Parkinsons.  Sadly it won't go away and can, in time, get worse. It has so  affected that my modelling  that it is taking a slow down with me. I haven't been turning out the models  the way I used to and quality has deteriorated. Not only that, it's been too darned cold for me to try modelling in the shed. Though today I have done a little but mainly trying to deal with a backlog of part builds but not very well due to the cold adding to the shaking and shivering.

The shakes come and go but it is daily and has been for the last few years. I am on medication but not convinced its helping much other than possibly slowing down the condition.

I am seriously considering packing it in and disposing my stash of kits and stuff that goes with it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Dunc

Perennial problem for myself as well (and I work as a signwriter!)🤪

Try not to get hung up about it since tension will also lead to muscle tremors. Not sure if you are a coffee drinker, but caffeine won't help much with them (I'm an complete coffee nut so I have to reduce my consumption when I'm doing detail work). As has already been said a good rest for the hand helps as does holding the brush further up the handle which sounds wrong but allows the fingers to relax a bit and kind've flow with the brush more.

If you really get into painting details you'll want to get yourself settled for a little while so that your heart rate slows down and much like shooting or archery breath normally and then relax at the end of the out breath, paint the detail and breath again (I use this technique when painting catchlights or pupils on 54mm figures)

Hope that helps

Paul

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I don't suffer shaking as such, but I do seem to get shaky when fine detail and concentration is needed ...  😕

I tend use my left hand to steady my dominant right one, especially when airbrushing/brush painting and some finesse is needed.  Taking long, slow breaths also helps me when doing such tasks.

Keith  😁