40382 Austin Healey 100-6 . Finished

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Bit disappointed you didn't put the steering wheel on the right side, after all that work :whistle:

The honest answer to that is that I never even gave it a thought .  Now you mention it , I wish I had done but it's just too much work at this stage unless I did the economy RHD conversion - back in the classic car boom of the late 1980s there were a lot of Healeys returning from the US and they were more saleable converted to  RHD , but the correct steering box was difficult and expensive  to find and moving the original to the other side of the car didn't work properly , giving far more lock one way than the other .  At this point , someone sawed the end off the steering column and mounted the cut-off end and steering wheel on the other side , then welded a bicycle sprocket to each piece of column and linked them with a chain .  Bodgery at its best !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20220402-204318.jpg

Finally got the body onto the chassis and fitted the wheels .  I fitted the bootlid but it wouldn't close,  so I cut off the hinges and will be gluing it in place - wouldn't have painted the boot floor and the battery if I'd known !!

• Like 8

I had the opposite (end) problem with mine. The boot lid fitted and worked fine, but the bonnet just wouldn't co-operate, so I glued it shut. Fortunately, I hadn't detailed the engine, so no tears were shed. Otherwise I would have glued it open.

Looking very good so far. The seat piping looks spot-on. Once the extra shiny bits go on, it will really start to pop. Good luck with the shortening the windscreen!

It's interesting (to me at least), that when Revell re-released this kit in 1996 (H-1217), and in their "Classics" range (00023, 2008), they didn't include the rubber tyres, just the old moulded plastic ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revell-Austin-Healey-100-six-1-25-scale-/255347658964

This Matchbox Revell kit and the earlier Revell version (H-1202, 1976) are the only versions with rubber tyres and chrome wheels. I have two other H-1202's in the stash and seeing yours, I feel the need to build another one!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Dean said:

I had the opposite (end) problem with mine. The boot lid fitted and worked fine, but the bonnet just wouldn't co-operate, so I glued it shut. Fortunately, I hadn't detailed the engine, so no tears were shed. Otherwise I would have glued it open.

Looking very good so far. The seat piping looks spot-on. Once the extra shiny bits go on, it will really start to pop. Good luck with the shortening the windscreen!

It's interesting (to me at least), that when Revell re-released this kit in 1996 (H-1217), and in their "Classics" range (00023, 2008), they didn't include the rubber tyres, just the old moulded plastic ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revell-Austin-Healey-100-six-1-25-scale-/255347658964

This Matchbox Revell kit and the earlier Revell version (H-1202, 1976) are the only versions with rubber tyres and chrome wheels. I have two other H-1202's in the stash and seeing yours, I feel the need to build another one!

Mine had rather poor chrome wheels , but the tyres are the horrible 2-piece soft plastic ones .  The wheels and tyres in the photo are from an Aoshima MGB .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

So what's stopping you  ? :wicked:

Let me think. Ah yes, an unfinished TF-104G Starfighter (location currently unknown), plus promised Harrier GR.3 & HMS Exeter. Things to do, busy, busy, busy.............................not. 

1 hour ago, rs2man said:

Mine had rather poor chrome wheels , but the tyres are the horrible 2-piece soft plastic ones .  The wheels and tyres in the photo are from an Aoshima MGB .

Yes, I don't what is worse. The original moulded plastic wheels or the horrible two-part tyres and chrome wheels. At least they tried to upgrade it, but rather missed the target. The MGB wheels and tyres look far better.👍

Edited by Mike Dean
  • Haha 1

20220403-203016.jpg

Fitted the bootlid , bumpers , headlamps and grille .  Fortunately the body wasn't glued to the chassis since , when I came to fit the grille , it became horribly apparent that I'd totally missed the fact that it fits from the inside .  

The kit comes with solid , single piece, chromed headlamps which looked dreadful . I had a hunt through the spares box and found a pair of lamp buckets from a Revell '48 Ford custom coupe and a pair of clear lenses from an AMT '53 Ford pickup , which greatly improved the appearance .

• Like 8

• rs2man changed the title to 40382 Austin Healey 100-6 . Finished

20220408_201854.jpg

20220408_201842.jpg

20220408_201833.jpg

20220408_201822.jpg

And here we have the finished item .  As discussed above , the plan was to reduce the depth of the windscreen frame to improve fthe look , then fit a new screen cut from clear plasticard .  However , when I test-fitted the frame , it was so distorted that the centre of the lower rail was a good 2mm above the scuttle and the only way to get it to conform was to press the screen into place on the frame .  I decided , therefore , to live with the slightly tall screen as it was better than a massive gap under the frame .

• Like 13

There aren't many builds that I watch on Britmodeller, but his one has been both entertaining, and educational. I can see where I can improve on my own model building skills, while watching this excellent build come together. The extra touches (the chrome trim around the back of the soft-top cover, the MGB wheels and the replacement lights) have made such a difference to the finished article. Shame about the windscreen but in this case "discretion is the better part of valour", and leaving the windscreen as-is is probably the right move.

I'd be very happy with that if it were mine 👍

• Like 1

I found this completed Healey within the ever expanding gallery yesterday and have two say, it’s turned out wonderfully well. Excellent job all round. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

Gentlemen , many thanks for your most generous comments .

Incidentally , I knew that the Healey was an old kit , but it wasn't till I looked it up on Scalemates that I realised it was first issued in 1958 !!!  What an amazing kit it must have been back then .

• Like 3