1/72 Dragon Apollo 13

I saw an Apollo 11 version of this kit in the competition at SMW and it inspired me to have a go at my own. I immediately went around the vendors and found an Apollo 13 version. I decided to have a go at detailing the blown panel on the SM using the (very) limited photographs that exist of the real thing after separation. Lots of foil later I'm happy with the results. I also spent some time looking for the correct cladding for each of the LM's panels and tried to get as close as possible in this scale. The stand comes with the kit and I made my own decal of the Apollo 13 badge to go on it. Hope you like.

51800411052_c65a336dc0_o.jpgApollo 13 by Phillip Loughlin, on Flickr

51801722489_88bc7d2812_o.jpgApollo 13 by Phillip Loughlin, on Flickr

51801478163_b4c9f27302_o.jpgApollo 13 by Phillip Loughlin, on Flickr

51800411012_4e0024b783_o.jpgApollo 13 by Phillip Loughlin, on Flickr

51801478188_544c9d3d6e_o.jpgApollo 13 by Phillip Loughlin, on Flickr

51800411027_51c484843e_o.jpgApollo 13 by Phillip Loughlin, on Flickr

• Like 54

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Very well done. You are showing the LM legs deployed. That's something I've never been able to clarify - did they actually deploy the legs on the LM on Apollo 13 and, if so, why?

Yes they had to deploy the legs so that they could use the LM’s descent engine for the burns. Normally they’d be deployed just before separation from the CSM before descending to the lunar surface. 

21 hours ago, Phill318 said:

Yes they had to deploy the legs so that they could use the LM’s descent engine for the burns. Normally they’d be deployed just before separation from the CSM before descending to the lunar surface. 

Thanks - that makes sense. Do you know when in the mission the legs were actually deployed?

13 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Thanks - that makes sense. Do you know when in the mission the legs were actually deployed?

They weren’t on a free return trajectory so they used the LM DPS to get back on it before they went behind the moon. Looking at the mission timeline, Lovell and Haise powered up the LM 58 hrs into the mission and first used the DPS at MET 61:30 so probably between those two times as part of the power up. They then used the DPS twice more during the mission for a PC+2 burn and a mid-course correction. Once the legs were deployed, they could not be retracted as in normal service they never would need to be. 

Great stuff. It was always a bit of a mystery for me. Way back in 1971, I had a space annual called "The Daily Mirror Book of Space" which featured an artist's impression of the moment of the explosion. The painting showed the LM with its legs in the retracted position - which was obviously correct.